Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solidworks - Equations and Linked Dimensions

Options
  • 12-09-2012 11:39am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone use equations and linked dimensions in Solidworks.

I know how to use them and what they are for but have never used them.

I do use sketch constraints which seem to do almost the same as linked equations but the equations are a bit baffling.

I've been reading a Soildworks how to book and the section on equations isn't too detailed on why you should use them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I've used these before in isolated cases, but like yourself mainly use sketch constraints.

According to the Solidworks training blurb I have, equations are used when you can't use sketch constraints or other tools. I think the real use is in design table-driven or multiple configuration parts, but I don't use these often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering does anyone use equations and linked dimensions in Solidworks.

I know how to use them and what they are for but have never used them.

I do use sketch constraints which seem to do almost the same as linked equations but the equations are a bit baffling.

I've been reading a Soildworks how to book and the section on equations isn't too detailed on why you should use them.

I used them just today. I'm designing high voltage Rogowski electrode's, the equasions can be found here. Its not very often I have to use equations in modelling but from time to time with surface modelling they can be very beneficial.
    In this case I have a few different size electrodes to design with a curve on the edges. The profile of the curve changes with the profile of the electrode and the distance each electrode is from its opposite. Rather than design each pair separately I design one and alter the diameter/distance for each different size electrode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Offy wrote: »
    I used them just today. I'm designing high voltage Rogowski electrode's, the equasions can be found here. Its not very often I have to use equations in modelling but from time to time with surface modelling they can be very beneficial.
    In this case I have a few different size electrodes to design with a curve on the edges. The profile of the curve changes with the profile of the electrode and the distance each electrode is from its opposite. Rather than design each pair separately I design one and alter the diameter/distance for each different size electrode.

That's pretty cool stuff. What are you using these electrodes for (if you can say)?

The equations and sketch constraints are a really good way of showing design intent, i.e., how the dimensions relate to each other regardless of their values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Its a monitoring device for measuring high voltage power factor. I cant say much more at the minute Im afraid.

Advertisement