Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Hazel trees..

Options
  • 12-09-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Am a bit nuts about Hazel trees (bad pun..soz) and would like to plant a lot more in the garden (only have the 3 at the mo, ones a corkscrew and the other..ummm just regular hazel nuts). But not sure where abouts..problem would be that the area which would probably be most ideal is currently being occupied by a giant (and I mean giant) compost/grass/remains of walls from old kitchen etc. which won't be removed for a long time..pricey.

Anyhoo..how far away from a house do you have to plant hazel trees?
    I'd love to plant a line of them and create a kind of foresty feel for part of the garden but don't know where to begin. I guess the main thing is first to find out how far away from houses do they have to be and how tall do they grow..some sites say 6M some say 9M..any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

they are shallow rooting plants so at least 3 meters back from the house from that point of view. I have some very tall old hazels in a lapsed coppice, but the thing with these plants is that they regrow very well from a pruning so you can decide how tall they can grow and prune to that point every year in the winter, so far and no further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If you want nuts, there are special named varieties of hazel called cobnuts. Check out a place called "fruit and nut" in Westport.
    If you just want a native species, dig up some seedlings near a hazel tree.

Advertisement