Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marshalls for Sled Dog Rallies

Options
  • 12-09-2012 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

I'm part of a club that put on dryland mushing sled dog rallies, you can see what its all about in the public gallery section of the forum www.tailsandtrails.ie

We are putting on a national championship again this year, with 4 events, with sled dog teams running through forests and we need people out on the course in case of emergencies. The issue that we always have is communication, we have bought cheap walkie talkies but they don't work in forests.

So I thought I'd ask in here if anybody would like to come along and be a marshall or, if anyone could recommend where we could get good walkie talkies as cheaply as possible:) I've been to a few rallies overseas and their local radio clubs have been marshalls, with a control centre and members sat out in their vehicles around the courses.

OUr rally dates are:

4th November, Lough Key, Co. Roscommon
    11th November Castleward, Co. Antrim
    2/3rd February Co. Monaghan
    2/3rd March Co. Monaghan - The Irisharod.

For the Irisharod in March, overseas teams will be coming to compete, and we will have a run on the Saturday morning, a meal, a few drinks and watch the ceremonial start of the Alaskan sled dog race, The Iditarod, live via an internet link on the Saturday evening, and then another run on the Sunday morning, so it should be a great weekend.

So, any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can hire professional licensed radios. Licence free stuff is only low power for UHF and 4W for CB.

There are no "licence free" Walkie talkies suitable. Even €220 ones are little better than €20 models for range.

If you can't afford the hire, talk to AREN who are the Amateur Emergency Radio people and have a mobile repeater. But hire is the "proper" solution.

Advertisement