Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope opinions.

Options
  • 12-09-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hello all, was just wondering what your own opinions are on certain scopes. I'm thinking about selling my own due to an offer which is hard to re fuse but want to get another one with just as good quality but not sure which one. So basically the question is what is your favourite scope?
    Cheers,
    Erk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

It will depend on: your budget, what the primary purpose of the cope will be, what rifle will it be on?

Also, don't forget to buy good mounts to get the best out of your scope.

In general, I think it's hard to beat a fixed power Schmidt and Bender. There is one for every purpose, they are very tough and you don't need to fiddle around with magnification.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

If money is tight I think Hawkes Scopes are excellent value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

I have used Zeiss & S&B,I currently use Nightforce & Swarovski,I personally prefer the Swarovski as a hunting scope above the rest.Having said that there is very little between any of the big name brands in that price range.It all depends on personal choice ,weight,usage etc.As my choice is between S&B & Swaro the quality is exceptional at low light then the Nightforce adjustments & tracking at high mag is outstanding as well.Depends really on what the scope is primarily used for,the best all rounder in my opinion is the Swarovski.Hope this helps can be a head wrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

Thanks for the replies.. Will be going on a .308 and used for Deer shooting and Fox shooting. Budget would be €1300 maybe stretch a little more. I have a Swarovski atm and love it the picture in low light and in general is excellent. Was looking at S&B and Zeiss like them both too. Just need to find a second hand one.. Do ye know how much a second hand one would be roughly? Say with anything up to 16x. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

For an all-rounder like that I think it's hard to beat something like a 2.5-10x or a 3-12x

• Advertisement

Erk wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.. Will be going on a .308 and used for Deer shooting and Fox shooting. Budget would be €1300 maybe stretch a little more. I have a Swarovski atm and love it the picture in low light and in general is excellent. Was looking at S&B and Zeiss like them both too. Just need to find a second hand one.. Do ye know how much a second hand one would be roughly? Say with anything up to 16x. Thanks.

Look at the Z5 Swaro its the one I use on my 308,brilliant optics, Euro Optics are having a Sale on the Gen 1 Line of them atmo, the BT Turret is handy but in all honesty is rarely used,with a Lightforce 170 mounted on the scope no fox within 250 yards is safe.

Constab2 wrote: »
    Look at the Z5 Swaro its the one I use on my 308,brilliant optics, Euro Optics are having a Sale on the Gen 1 Line of them atmo, the BT Turret is handy but in all honesty is rarely used,with a Lightforce 170 mounted on the scope no fox within 250 yards is safe.

Is there not a fee you must pay when ordering one online? Or if my local gun dealer ordered it would it be cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

John Lambert in Camolin usually has a good selection of high end, second hand scopes. He is a very fair man to deal with and I can highly recommend giving him a call.

Are you considering a variable scope, or a fixed power?

Any consideration given to mounts yet?

Don't really know about a RFD ordering one for you, long story about my one bought it online from Canada & never got any other charges,if I remember correctly it came in less than €1100 delivered.That was around Christmas time.Trader Mystuff630

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You could order from this place it's in the eu so you will have already paid tax on it so no extra charges here. They have a good selection of stuff.:)
    http://www.optics-trade.eu/shop/en/riflescopes.html

• Advertisement

Have Warne mounts atm and there perfect for the scope and gun. Have a pictanny rail on the .308 so no movement what so ever always held zero and is dead on constantly. Might try order online so if there is no charges the scope seem to be ALOT cheaper. Might give John a call also. Thanks for the replies lads! Hate looking for scopes :o

Erk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Swarovski is my favorite, 2nd choice be Zeiss then Kahles. The Smidth and benders are great too but not a fan of their reticles tho. I've 24 power and wouldn't go less for the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Try James Mc Bride he usually has good top end scopes new and second hand. He only sells top end optics

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

I've run everything Hawke's to Nickel's in my time and -
    My Zeiss 7x50 is the one that gets the most use be it day or night, Meopta 7x50 a close second and the diavari 4-16X50 - 4 for boar and 12 or 16 for everything else..........although there is a S&B 4-16X50 varmint waiting for it's new home as we speak - but its going to be a 350-575 yard daylight only, bench shot rig.

Next on the cards is a Zeiss 8x56 , another 7x50 or Durylat - living at 7x50 to replace the Meopta.

In my years I never found a swarovski's any better than equally priced Zeiss and the S&B's are just lumpy heavy frickers.

But I've always liked Zeiss - in 6 mths I'll only be running all Zeiss - and in 20 + or so year I'd still be happy if I'm still running only Zeiss.

End of the day a scope is like a car..............run what suits you 95% of time and stay away from the low end stuff if you want performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

Id recommend zeiss too. I've used and owned all the top brands but think if your looking for a hunting scope you won't go better. Stick with a 10 or 12 power and keep the reticle simple. I have been guilty of getting wrapped up in high power scopes with target turrets and fancy reticles but was let down with low light ability and i never got time for long distance shooting. To be honest there isn't really much between the top brands but i think zeiss is slightly brighter in low light.

Advertisement