Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on planting clematis

Options
  • 12-09-2012 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Bought 4 clematis and a winter jasmine and want to plant today but when comes down to it not sure what to plant where,which will look best. I really want the back wall covered but only half of that gets any sun. The clematis are-
    Montana rubens
    President
    Nelly moser
    viticelli etoile
    Not sure what is best way to arrange . As in photo the back of the bed faces east-its about ten feet long-would the Montana take up most of this wall? Does the Montana look totally bare in winter though? The right wall is south facing and read that darker clematis need sun so will have to put the viticelli and president here. Which clematis am I best putting to the left of the back wall which gets no sun? The moser or Montana? Also will jasmine grow without sun?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

my tuppence worth.
    4 climbers and the jasmine is a lot for such a small area. The clematis will need spport such as a trellis and in about 3 years you will have a big ball of intertwined clematis that will look a bit untidy. A climber i would use would either clematis armandii, its evergreen with nice long slender leaves or parthenocissus tricuspidata -boston ivy. or a climbing hydrangea.
    but i do realise you have already purchased..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Evergreen clematis armandii is a nice climber to plant.

I planted mine about 6 weeks ago and its absolutely shot up on an east facing wall.
    Some plant food and a good regular watering too.
    Only gets a little sunshine and mostly shaded for the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

seefin wrote: »
    Bought 4 clematis and a winter jasmine and want to plant today but when comes down to it not sure what to plant where,which will look best. I really want the back wall covered but only half of that gets any sun. The clematis are-
    Montana rubens
    President
    Nelly moser
    viticelli etoile
    Not sure what is best way to arrange . As in photo the back of the bed faces east-its about ten feet long-would the Montana take up most of this wall? Does the Montana look totally bare in winter though? The right wall is south facing and read that darker clematis need sun so will have to put the viticelli and president here. Which clematis am I best putting to the left of the back wall which gets no sun? The moser or Montana? Also will jasmine grow without sun?

You could clear that patch right back and plant some Virginia Creeper.

Beautifull climber and gives amazing red foliage in autum as the leaves start to die off for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeycav

Hi Guys, any recommendations for a climber to screen those wooden fence panels that surround the garden? Think they're circa 6/7 ft high so looking for something ideally with a flowering season too
    cheers

Advertisement