Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hillsborough Cover-up revealed. MOD NOTE #1

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Please explain what basis you use the term 'cutting corners'. They are a business and they have insurance for eventualities like anybody else. Its not like they sent a bill to LFC to pay for damage.(this is not meant in any way a joke, this is how the implication sounds)

Im not saying the club is innocent, but potentially guilty of what? I believe our safety certificate wasnt up to date, but the FA sanctioned the game due to location and we've had numerous semi's and no problems occurred with the same levels of support.

The inadequacies of the ground itself were the responsibility of Sheffield Wednesday though, and there had been well documented prior problems at games there. I don't think anybody actively "blames" Sheffield Wednesday for what happened on that day (that lies almost entirely with the SYP), as with proper crowd control the the tragedy would certainly never have occurred. But surely it is only right that every single causal factor, no matter how big or small, that led up to the fateful day ought to be acknowledged and learnt from?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/12/hillsborough-truth-about-causes-of-disaster?newsfeed=true

The Hillsborough Panel found the safety of fans admitted to the terrace at the Leppings Lane end of the ground was "compromised at every level". From the condition of the turnstiles to the management of the crowd, alterations to the terrace, the construction of the "pens" in which fans were held, the placement of the crush barriers and the access to the fateful central pens via a tunnel with a one in six gradient. The deficiencies were "well known" and made the crush on 15 April 1989 foreseeable.

According to documents disclosed to the inquiry, there was a serious crush on the terrace at the 1981 FA Cup semi-final between Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers in which "many people were injured and fatalities narrowly avoided". New documents show following that incident there was a breakdown in the relationship between Sheffield Wednesday and South Yorkshire Police, which considered the capacity of the terrace too high at 10,100.

The ground was not used for semi finals again until 1987, by which time there had been various moderations and alterations – none of which led to revised safety certificates. Recommendations to feed the pens from designated turnstiles, enabling the club to monitor the number of fans in each one, were ignored because it would cost too much.

"It is evident from the disclosed documents that South Yorkshire Police were preoccupied with crowd management [but] ... Sheffield Wednesday's primary concern was to limit costs." The issue of congested access to the turnstiles remained unresolved, with over 24,000 fans entering through 23 turnstiles at Leppings Lane. The panel found that key issues were not "discussed or recorded" at annual safety inspections. There was a delayed kick off at the 1987 FA Cup semi-final and crushing at the 1988 semi-final. The debriefings from both were "inadequate".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

marco_polo wrote: »
    The inadequacies of the ground itself were the responsibility of Sheffield Wednesday though, and there had been well documented prior problems at games there. I don't think anybody actively "blames" Sheffield Wednesday for what happened on that day (that lies almost entirely with the SYP), as with proper crowd control the the tragedy would certainly never have occurred. But surely it is only right that every single causal factor, no matter how big or small, that led up to the fateful day ought to be acknowledged and learnt from?

I think the issue is that this was 23 years ago. There wasnt H&S like there is today. It was assumed that people took their places in an orderly fashion and everything was fine.
    If SWFC have anything to answer to its that the layout of the Lepp was terrible, which it was. The single tunnel from turnstiles to terraces was a major factor if everyone turns up at once. Due to roadworks, delays, bad organisation it caused a bottleneck that couldnt be coped with.

My point is, in relation to the ground/club, what can come from litigation? What happened couldnt possibly happen again, can the club be solely blamed for causing this. No. Im not sure what can be 'found out' and im sure no one has anything to hide from that POV its just dragging is back into the whole blame culture. Listening to Micky Quinn suggesting demolishing the ground is ridiculous a la the King Baudouin Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I think the issue is that this was 23 years ago. There wasnt H&S like there is today. It was assumed that people took their places in an orderly fashion and everything was fine..

Erm.. I don't think that is really true.. in fact if anything the exact opposite was expected which is why many grounds had cages for fans, and fences were in place. This was in the heyday of football violence and trouble was expected at most games.
    If SWFC have anything to answer to its that the layout of the Lepp was terrible, which it was. The single tunnel from turnstiles to terraces was a major factor if everyone turns up at once. Due to roadworks, delays, bad organisation it caused a bottleneck that couldnt be coped with...

Maybe.. maybe not.. I believe there is probably little that SWFC were entirely responsible for.. BUT they (or their insurer) are still guilty of refusing to release information which pertains to the event.. That in itself is why this has rolled on for so long and caused so much pain for those families.. There is literally no acceptable excuse for it..
    My point is, in relation to the ground/club, what can come from litigation? What happened couldnt possibly happen again, can the club be solely blamed for causing this. No. Im not sure what can be 'found out' and im sure no one has anything to hide from that POV its just dragging is back into the whole blame culture. Listening to Micky Quinn suggesting demolishing the ground is ridiculous a la the King Baudouin Stadium.

Hopefully it will never happen again.. but its difficult to understand what did happen when the bulk of those involved from an organisation capacity have lied or hidden information for 23 years.. I havent seen anyone solely blaming the club, but they do seem to be the last ones to continue to refuse to provide information..

I personally wish they would release the information, and finally let those who have suffered the most move on.. and to allow the authorities to ensure (as much as possible) that we never face this danger when going to a game again...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Welease wrote: »
    Erm.. I don't think that is really true.. in fact if anything the exact opposite was expected which is why many grounds had cages for fans, and fences were in place. This was in the heyday of football violence and trouble was expected at most games.

I'd be pretty sure the cages were there for 'security', not a remote consideration for health and safety.

Dalymount Park would be the equivalent here. How there wasn't deaths at the Ireland v Italy game in 1985 is a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd be pretty sure the cages were there for 'security', not a remote consideration for health and safety.

Dalymount Park would be the equivalent here. How there wasn't deaths at the Ireland v Italy game in 1985 is a miracle.

Sorry I'm having a dumb day :) Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me :)..

My point is.. (called it security or whatever term you like).. fans were not expected to arrive calmly and take their seats as suggested.. there was an expectation at most grounds that violence could break out at any stage, and fans were policed in and out, and once in, were either placed in one large fenced terrace (like the Kop for example) or Smaller Cages within a large fenced terrace (like White Hart Lane for example) in order to minimise the possibility of violence with the other sides fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

West Midland's Police, the same shower of degenerates that falsely set up the Birmingham Six in the '70's when they needed scapegoats. Thatcher has some questions to answer here too if she wasn't a geriatric ould cow. It was part of the culture of Britain at the time under Thatcher where the authorities were ALWAYS right and if regular people's rights were trampled on as part of that overarching policy - so be it.

Sincerely hope the families of the 96 get some justice in the form of some top brass from the West Midlands Police facing charges. They didn't face time for stitching up the innocent Birmingham Six as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I seen somewhere but I can't remember where I read this. I have a feeling it was here.

Anyway, I seem somewhere that the Man United fans were going to chant "You'll Never Walk Alone" this weekend at the match. Can anybody confirm whether this is true or not.

As a United fan, I would like to see this and hopefully some of the vile chanting between these 2 sides would stop.

Football banter is one thing but then some fools bring it beyond football.

Thought I would add this picture too.

I seen somewhere but I can't remember where I read this. I have a feeling it was here.

Anyway, I seem somewhere that the Man United fans were going to chant "You'll Never Walk Alone" this weekend at the match. Can anybody confirm whether this is true or not.

As a United fan, I would like to see this and hopefully some of the vile chanting between these 2 sides would stop.

In fairness, that won't happen.

I'd like to know where you "read" it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

rarnes1 wrote: »
    In fairness, that won't happen.

I'd like to know where you "read" it though :)

There is talk of the United fans doing something next week at Anfield.
    I genuinely hope they do as it would be a massive gesture.
    I think there were suggestions being made on Red Cafe last night.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    There is talk of the United fans doing something next week at Anfield.
    I genuinely hope they do as it would be a massive gesture.
    I think there were suggestions being made on Red Cafe last night.

Really?

I'll be there myself so I'll have to see to believe tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They were talking about it on Redcafe and most would have no problem with the away fans bringing a supportive banner and stopping the chanting but not many, if any at all, were behind the idea of singing You'll Never Walk Alone. A banner or some act of respect and stopping the chanting, great, but seeing United fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone at Anfield would just be weird and won't happen, in my opinion.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Really?

I'll be there myself so I'll have to see to believe tbh

I'm thinking of going over myself but I'll have a lot on next week so not sure yet.
    I don't think they will sing YNWA but there may be a few banners.

Anything positive the Man United fans do next week will be greatly appreciated.
    It's been mentioned so many times but it's true that it really could have been any teams fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

J. Marston wrote: »
    They were talking about it on Redcafe and most would have no problem with the away fans bringing a supportive banner and stopping the chanting but not many, if any at all, were behind the idea of singing You'll Never Walk Alone. A banner or some act of respect and stopping the chanting, great, but seeing United fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone at Anfield would just be weird and won't happen, in my opinion.
    amiable wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going over myself but I'll have a lot on next week so not sure yet.
    I don't think they will sing YNWA but there may be a few banners.

There would actually be some precedent for it.

The original version of YNWA (from the musical Carousel) was played at Old Trafford following the Munich Air Disaster, before Merseybeat band Gerry & The Pacemakers covered it and before Liverpool fans took to singing it.

Bobby Charlton sang along to it when he was at Anfield for our game against United a couple of seasons ago, when Kuyt scored a hat-trick, probably thinking of his fallen friends while doing so.

It'll never happen, no point speculating on it. No chance.

If the sick chants re Hillsbrough stopped (along with munich chants) it'd be enough for most fans of both clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any of you read this? Very moving post. Apologies if it's been already posted:

http://www.uwsonline.com/forum/showthread.php/9101-Hillsborough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The biggest mistake the FA made with regard to Hillsborough was allocating Liverpool fans the smaller Leppings Lane end. The Kop end held 7,000 more people, and while Forest brought a healthy following, Liverpool were always going to bring more.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

grenache wrote: »
    The biggest mistake the FA made with regard to Hillsborough was allocating Liverpool fans the smaller Leppings Lane end. The Kop end held 7,000 more people, and while Forest brought a healthy following, Liverpool were always going to bring more.
    It would have been impractical though it was discussed at the time. We were principally coming from the SE and LFC fans from the NW. The logistics of getting 54,000 fans to pass each other to opposite ends of the ground were too much. So we got the huge Spion Kop at the SE end and LFC got Leppings Lane at the opposite end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It would have been impractical though it was discussed at the time. We were principally coming from the SE and LFC fans from the NW. The logistics of getting 54,000 fans to pass each other to opposite ends of the ground were too much. So we got the huge Spion Kop at the SE end and LFC got Leppings Lane at the opposite end.
    Yes I've heard this said before, both on Hillsborough documentaries and from talking to fans at Forest matches over the years. I still think the police could have made it possible, by diverting Forest and Pool fans around opposing sides of the ground. There's always a way, as the saying goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19587302
    ...............................The disaster and its despicable aftermath were the consequences of lazy 1980s prejudice: that football was the preserve of yobs and drunks (this was an era when managing football crowds saw public order put before public safety) and that Liverpool was the city of rebels and chancers, with a reputation for harbouring a grievance. It was useful for the authorities that there was a grain of truth in these simplistic portraits, caricatures that could be exploited by those engaged in official calumny.............................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/thatcher-concerned-over-1989-report-566690.html

Maggie, the Government and civil servants seemed more concerned about their upcoming bill than getting to the truth.

Yes Minister in a dark reality.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Of course we can never know for sure, but I'm not really convinced it would actually have made all that much difference except that we could have been mourning a Nottingham tragedy instead, given the gross levels of operational incompetence on the day.

After all regardless of who was at that end the game was a sellout and 24,000 fans would still have had to enter the ground through the 23 turnstiles at the Leppings lane end to get to either the North and West Stands or the terrace itself.

And as it only took little more than a third or so of the 10,000 terrice ticket holders getting herded into the two central pens to cause this disaster, I just can't see that the outcome would have been any different.

Very simplistic analysis of course, that doesn't account for the much more negative police percepion of Liverpool fans, which which led to them being unbelievably slow to recognise that the agitation was as a result of crushing rather than crowd trouble. Or indeed or that the crowd flow/ buildup outside may well have been fundamentally altered by the very act of having to diverting fans away from each other etc. But most of the ingredients for the exact same result would still have very much been in place.

Yes I've heard this said before, both on Hillsborough documentaries and from talking to fans at Forest matches over the years. I still think the police could have made it possible, by diverting Forest and Pool fans around opposing sides of the ground. There's always a way, as the saying goes.

I don't know Grenache. The geographic position of Hillsborough would have made it very difficult for the fans to swap ends - Penistone Road would have looked like Wembley Way - and I suspect the police just weren't up for managing it.

I was there for both the 1988 and 1989 semi-finals. In 1988, despite the complaints of the imbalance in tickets, the game passed off without any real incident. In 1989, the police seemed to place a much greater emphasis on preventing Liverpool fans with tickets getting on to the Spion Kop, although I don't recall such a thing happening in '88.

With hindsight, the game should have gone to Old Trafford (Villa Park was being used for Norwich v Everton), where the replay was held and ticket numbers could be split more equitably. Maybe the authorities were frightened of having 30,000 LFC fans in Manchester on a Saturday, who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

how erie is this cover from 1989 now that the truth is out

20416d1347467297-hillsborough-wsc.jpg

And artical

From WSC 28, June 1989

Like you, we have read a hell of a lot about Hillsborough over the last couple of weeks. We quickly reached saturation point, partly because there are a limited number of ways in which the same points can be made without becoming repetitious and partly because so many stupid things have been said.

One thing deserves to be reiterated, however. The deaths of 90 people (*) at a football ground in Sheffield were not just another tragic accident. Instead, they were a predictable consequence of the fact that the people who run English football have stumbled from one crisis to another without evolving a coherent, consistent policy to deal with any specific problem.

The rise to public prominence of the FSA and the spread of the independent magazines has encouraged the belief that supporters might finally get the opportunity to wield some influence on the way football is administered in this country. An incident such as this demonstrates both the urgent need for such a development and the amount of work that still needs to be done.

Slow progress is being made but nothing has really changed. The individuals who run football clubs with, in many cases, breathtaking incompetence, continue to manifest total disdain for football fans. Periodically, the cast-list is shaken up — new additions to the familiar clutch of pompous businessmen seeking personal aggrandisement — but the attitudes are as entrenched as ever. The same policemen adopt the same aggressive attitude to football, insisting that it should be treated as a public order problem rather than a form of entertainment. The same prejudice is attached to all football fans, deemed to be passive accomplices to the sociopathic minority.

The police see us as a mass entity, fuelled by drink and a single-minded resolve to wreak havoc by destroying property and attacking one another with murderous intent. Containment and damage limitation is at the core of the police strategy. Fans are treated with the utmost disrespect. We are herded, cajoled, pushed, and corralled into cramped spaces, and expected to submit passively to every new indignity.

The implication is that “normal” people need to be protected from the football fan. But we are normal people. “The Football Fan” is not an easily defined social stereotype, whatever the tabloid cartoonists may choose to believe. All manner of people go to football matches. A few of them are intent on unleashing aggressive instincts which are also manifested in wine bars on a Saturday night or in tourist hotels on the Costa Del Sol. Thuggish behaviour is rarely reported in any detail when it can't be directly linked to a football match.

Football is being made the scapegoat for a society brutalised over the last decade. Yet, a proportion of law officers are afflicted with the same oafish sensibility that is exhibited by a minority of fans. Since this magazine first appeared, we have regularly received letters complaining about specific police actions. The correspondence has come from a broad spectrum of our readership and builds up into a weighty indictment of general policing policy at football matches over the last three years. A large proportion of the Liverpool supporters who angrily spoke out against the police tactics at Hillsborough will have had previous bad experiences which served to further fuel their sense of grievance. Fans and the police have developed a prejudiced view of one another that has served only to create barriers that are of as much significance as the perimeter fencing.

Then there are the administrators. Their attitude is one of utter incomprehension and cowardice. They don't stick up for football supporters because they basically neither understand nor like them. The FA have abdicated any responsibility for the events of Hillsborough in typical fashion. Faced with crisis and degeneration, they have failed to take positive steps to resuscitate the game. They have obstructed change where it was proposed by the powerless (the fans) but prostrated themselves before a political establishment that would be quite happy to see the game destroyed.

Complaints about safety and comfort were ignored because they were being made by supporters. Official action will be taken now, because the same points previously raised by fans are now being made by the government and the media. Their stupidity and cowardice over a long period of time allowed Hillsborough to happen.

Symptomatic of their paralysis is the frequency with which a certain phrase crops up in their public pronouncements. We are informed, with wearying regularity, that football needs to "put its house in order'". This is, of course, a laughably imprecise phrase, intended to imply a commitment to resolute action. Needless to say, it means absolutely nothing.

Clubs have to accept a proportion of the blame. They own the fences and turnstiles that helped to cause the disaster. Sheffield Wednesday officials seemed to believe that, in an emergency, it would be possible to evacuate a large number of people thorough a tiny gate in the perimeter fencing. They and their colleagues at other League grounds across the country insult loyal, put-upon customers with the pathetic standard of amenities on offer. They have failed to develop long-term strategies that rely on anything beyond glib slogans about families and the importance of sponsors. The executive box holders get central heating and smoked glass but the huddled majority don't deserve even an unobstructed view and a roof.

There is very little common sense applied to football. In no other area of life is the victim treated with as much disrespect as the perpetrator, nor the majority held to be guilty of the crimes perpetrated by a minority.

But, ultimately, what happens to us doesn't matter. It is our own fault for being football fans. That is why MPs always ignored pleas from supporters' organisations seeking to prevent the sort of disaster that has become a reality. Whatever they may say, few politicians gave any indication that they cared about football fans before Hillsborough happened. Suddenly everyone knows the answer. A fortnight ago, they didn't even hear the question.

It didn't take very long for Hillsborough to become our fault. Indeed, initial reports pinned blame on supporters who were believed to have broken down a gate. Later, as the analysts set to work, blame was heaped upon the large number of fans who arrived without tickets. Then the police's press department piped up, revealing that many were drunk and generally doing all the things that fans are famous for. Had the television cameras not been present to record the disaster as it unfolded, many people would have unquestioningly accepted the garbage that has been pumped out by some of the tabloid hacks.

Fans have been both the prophesiers and the victims of Hillsborough, but who believes that they will be invited to play an active part in solving the problems that it highlighted? We will be obliged to meekly accept the remedy offered. Standing has been proved to be bad for us, so we must sit. Stadiums in urban areas are, without exception. unsafe places for large numbers of people to congregate, so, for the common good, all teams will eventually be required set up home on industrial estates in the middle of nowhere. Better still, we are to pay for the changes that are required, despite the huge burdens already endured and the fact that the government takes vast sums of money from the game.

By the time this issue appears, the deaths of those Liverpool fans will have become just another "great story" disgorged by a media which revelled in one of the few disasters that happened live in front of the world's press. After a couple of weeks, there isn't much mileage to be derived from sombre proclamations that "It must never be allowed to happen again".

Of course, it will be allowed to happen again. The ID Cards bill with provisions that almost guarantee that such a tragedy will be repeated is to be pushed through nonetheless. No surprise there. Even after the Zeebrugge sinking, dangerous ferries are sailing the Channel, and on the London Underground, safety of passengers takes primacy only over ensuring that the chocolate machines are functioning adequately.

Some football officials smugly assert that such a disaster couldn't happen at their clubs. What they really mean is that now it has happened to someone else, odds are that it won't recur for a little while. It is less the Safety of Sports Grounds, but, rather, the Law of Averages that they see as adequate protection for their customers.

Disasters are happening so regularly now that we have developed a meaningless set of pseudo-religious rituals to acknowledge them. As has been clear for a long time, no disaster is worthy of the name until leading religious and political figures are officially informed and have given suitably trite quotes to the press. This immediate reaction is followed by The Visit. The seniority of the visitor is determined by media interest and death toll, and is, of course, performed primarily for the benefit of those clicking cameras. Survivors' stories are served up in tandem with chilling reminders of how easily death can take any of us.

All such rituals, crassly inappropriate in the main because they are so formularised, are supposed to make us feel that a mixture of fate and circumstance was ultimately to blame.

The key ritual of this organised disinformation is an inquiry. “Experts” are called forth (in this instance, few people other than football fans have any relevant expertise to offer). After accusations are made and refuted, a report is produced and the cheapest and most politically expedient bits form part of a new law. The rest is made voluntary. Identification of the real culprits is lost amid desperate, scurrying attempts to avoid blame.

The same people who indignantly call for the fences to be torn down now are the same ones who demanded that they should be put up in the first place. Thanks were duly said for there not having been any perimeter fences at Bradford, but no long-term lessons were learned from that fire. Superficial responses were the order of the day.

This is why it isn't all that surprising that the government wants to continue with the dangerous ID cards. It has weathered a sufficient number of crises to know that concern passes very quickly. They obviously reason that all will run smoothly if they can only hang on until something else is on the front pages. However, the ham-fisted attempts to bolster prejudices against football fans through the front pages of the Sun has rather backfired this time.

Once more, everyone is offering opinions on the game and its followers. Can it ever be the same again? Should it continue at all? A number of journalists have trotted out their "I'll never go again" line, much as they did after Heysel. It seems that any measure is justifiable in the wake of Hillsborough and some sort of punishment seems to be the accepted solution. The prime minister has no expertise to offer in this situation. She is blindly determined to act, and to be seen to act in accordance with her public image. She has nothing to say and yet remains shrilly determined to emphasise the fact.

Most of what we have outlined here has been said before. Some of it is repetitious, because football fans have gone on at considerable length in the past about most of these issues. To no avail. No one listens. Perhaps they won't listen now, because after all, we are only supporters. We derive no pleasure from saying any of this. We would much rather crawl into a corner and forget about football for a few weeks, but that isn't possible.

(*) This was the death toll at the time of writing

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1152-september-2012/8991-post-hillsborough-disaster-editorial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I don't know Grenache. The geographic position of Hillsborough would have made it very difficult for the fans to swap ends - Penistone Road would have looked like Wembley Way - and I suspect the police just weren't up for managing it.

I was there for both the 1988 and 1989 semi-finals. In 1988, despite the complaints of the imbalance in tickets, the game passed off without any real incident. In 1989, the police seemed to place a much greater emphasis on preventing Liverpool fans with tickets getting on to the Spion Kop, although I don't recall such a thing happening in '88.

The policing issue was the massive difference between 88 and 89.

Letter to the FA about problems in 88 which were ignored - http://s13.postimage.org/b5t7i7sjb/A2t_Xypu_CQAAW1_Db.jpg

The major difference was the switch from Brian Mole a guy with bags of experience who had put proper measures in place to deal with the crowd in 88. The completely inexperienced Duckenfield doesn't make the same provisions. The decision to have him over the operation on that day was a catastrophic error.

http://thehillsboroughdisasterdocumentary.com/2011/11/16/how-the-hillsborough-disaster-happened/

Opr

opr wrote: »
    The policing issue was the massive difference between 88 and 89.

Letter to the FA about problems in 88 which were ignored - http://s13.postimage.org/b5t7i7sjb/A2t_Xypu_CQAAW1_Db.jpg

The major difference was the switch from Brian Mole a guy with bags of experience who had put proper measures in place to deal with the crowd in 88. The completely inexperienced Duckenfield doesn't make the same provisions. The decision to have him over the operation on that day was a catastrophic error.

http://thehillsboroughdisasterdocumentary.com/2011/11/16/how-the-hillsborough-disaster-happened/

Opr

I think that's probably spot on. There was certainly a greater police presence at the Spion Kop in '89 (I think I was searched on the way in) than in '88. A sign perhaps that Duckenfield was too obsessed with crowd trouble until it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

As a United fan I'd love to see some sort of gesture by our fans at Anfield, a banner or laying of a wreath/flowers etc. After all the animosity over the past year or so it's the perfect chance to show some solidarity with (as Alex Ferguson put it yesterday) a great club.

In an ideal world I'd love to see anyone starting Munich/Hillsborough chants to be frogmarched from the ground.

When it comes to the events of 23 years ago, the petty rivalries are no more, we all stand together...we're all on the same side.

Justice for the 96.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Hillsborough docu-drama is on ITV3 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

monkey9 wrote: »
    The Hillsborough docu-drama is on ITV3 now

Only saw the last hour of it. Maybe it should of been on a bit earlier for our younger fans. It didn't show every story but the divide in the Hicks Family over blame and how to deal with their loss was intense. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

RikkFlair wrote: »
    As a United fan I'd love to see some sort of gesture by our fans at Anfield, a banner or laying of a wreath/flowers etc. After all the animosity over the past year or so it's the perfect chance to show some solidarity with (as Alex Ferguson put it yesterday) a great club.

In an ideal world I'd love to see anyone starting Munich/Hillsborough chants to be frogmarched from the ground.

When it comes to the events of 23 years ago, the petty rivalries are no more, we all stand together...we're all on the same side.

Justice for the 96.

There was already talk of it on redcafe, they have a few banners made out in support anyway, not sure what else they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

curry-muff wrote: »
    There was already talk of it on redcafe, they have a few banners made out in support anyway, not sure what else they're doing.

given that yesterdays match had a few idiots singing Always the Victims (and were rightly and strongly condemned by MUST) i don't have too much hope.

Hopefully next week will just be 2 sets of fans at a match, with no stupid chants from either set.

Even though as i speak there is a squadron of pigs warming up their engines over in Weston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

gatecrash wrote: »
    given that yesterdays match had a few idiots singing Always the Victims (and were rightly and strongly condemned by MUST) i don't have too much hope.

Hopefully next week will just be 2 sets of fans at a match, with no stupid chants from either set.

Even though as i speak there is a squadron of pigs warming up their engines over in Weston.

Manchester United FC condemned the chants, rightly so. However, I think MUST, on the other hand, did themselves no favours by trying to make out that the chant related to the Suarez/Evra incident and doesn't relate to Hillsborough.

Obviously, these type of chants on both sides should stop. I don't hold out much hope (idiots on both sides will probably still think its 'hilarious') but I would like to see there being a temporary 'truce' at least for next week, given the events of this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

how erie is this cover from 1989 now that the truth is out

20416d1347467297-hillsborough-wsc.jpg

And artical

From WSC 28, June 1989

Like you, we have read a hell of a lot about Hillsborough over the last couple of weeks. We quickly reached saturation point, partly because there are a limited number of ways in which the same points can be made without becoming repetitious and partly because so many stupid things have been said.

One thing deserves to be reiterated, however. The deaths of 90 people (*) at a football ground in Sheffield were not just another tragic accident. Instead, they were a predictable consequence of the fact that the people who run English football have stumbled from one crisis to another without evolving a coherent, consistent policy to deal with any specific problem.

The rise to public prominence of the FSA and the spread of the independent magazines has encouraged the belief that supporters might finally get the opportunity to wield some influence on the way football is administered in this country. An incident such as this demonstrates both the urgent need for such a development and the amount of work that still needs to be done.

Slow progress is being made but nothing has really changed. The individuals who run football clubs with, in many cases, breathtaking incompetence, continue to manifest total disdain for football fans. Periodically, the cast-list is shaken up — new additions to the familiar clutch of pompous businessmen seeking personal aggrandisement — but the attitudes are as entrenched as ever. The same policemen adopt the same aggressive attitude to football, insisting that it should be treated as a public order problem rather than a form of entertainment. The same prejudice is attached to all football fans, deemed to be passive accomplices to the sociopathic minority.

The police see us as a mass entity, fuelled by drink and a single-minded resolve to wreak havoc by destroying property and attacking one another with murderous intent. Containment and damage limitation is at the core of the police strategy. Fans are treated with the utmost disrespect. We are herded, cajoled, pushed, and corralled into cramped spaces, and expected to submit passively to every new indignity.

The implication is that “normal” people need to be protected from the football fan. But we are normal people. “The Football Fan” is not an easily defined social stereotype, whatever the tabloid cartoonists may choose to believe. All manner of people go to football matches. A few of them are intent on unleashing aggressive instincts which are also manifested in wine bars on a Saturday night or in tourist hotels on the Costa Del Sol. Thuggish behaviour is rarely reported in any detail when it can't be directly linked to a football match.

Football is being made the scapegoat for a society brutalised over the last decade. Yet, a proportion of law officers are afflicted with the same oafish sensibility that is exhibited by a minority of fans. Since this magazine first appeared, we have regularly received letters complaining about specific police actions. The correspondence has come from a broad spectrum of our readership and builds up into a weighty indictment of general policing policy at football matches over the last three years. A large proportion of the Liverpool supporters who angrily spoke out against the police tactics at Hillsborough will have had previous bad experiences which served to further fuel their sense of grievance. Fans and the police have developed a prejudiced view of one another that has served only to create barriers that are of as much significance as the perimeter fencing.

Then there are the administrators. Their attitude is one of utter incomprehension and cowardice. They don't stick up for football supporters because they basically neither understand nor like them. The FA have abdicated any responsibility for the events of Hillsborough in typical fashion. Faced with crisis and degeneration, they have failed to take positive steps to resuscitate the game. They have obstructed change where it was proposed by the powerless (the fans) but prostrated themselves before a political establishment that would be quite happy to see the game destroyed.

Complaints about safety and comfort were ignored because they were being made by supporters. Official action will be taken now, because the same points previously raised by fans are now being made by the government and the media. Their stupidity and cowardice over a long period of time allowed Hillsborough to happen.

Symptomatic of their paralysis is the frequency with which a certain phrase crops up in their public pronouncements. We are informed, with wearying regularity, that football needs to "put its house in order'". This is, of course, a laughably imprecise phrase, intended to imply a commitment to resolute action. Needless to say, it means absolutely nothing.

Clubs have to accept a proportion of the blame. They own the fences and turnstiles that helped to cause the disaster. Sheffield Wednesday officials seemed to believe that, in an emergency, it would be possible to evacuate a large number of people thorough a tiny gate in the perimeter fencing. They and their colleagues at other League grounds across the country insult loyal, put-upon customers with the pathetic standard of amenities on offer. They have failed to develop long-term strategies that rely on anything beyond glib slogans about families and the importance of sponsors. The executive box holders get central heating and smoked glass but the huddled majority don't deserve even an unobstructed view and a roof.

There is very little common sense applied to football. In no other area of life is the victim treated with as much disrespect as the perpetrator, nor the majority held to be guilty of the crimes perpetrated by a minority.

But, ultimately, what happens to us doesn't matter. It is our own fault for being football fans. That is why MPs always ignored pleas from supporters' organisations seeking to prevent the sort of disaster that has become a reality. Whatever they may say, few politicians gave any indication that they cared about football fans before Hillsborough happened. Suddenly everyone knows the answer. A fortnight ago, they didn't even hear the question.

It didn't take very long for Hillsborough to become our fault. Indeed, initial reports pinned blame on supporters who were believed to have broken down a gate. Later, as the analysts set to work, blame was heaped upon the large number of fans who arrived without tickets. Then the police's press department piped up, revealing that many were drunk and generally doing all the things that fans are famous for. Had the television cameras not been present to record the disaster as it unfolded, many people would have unquestioningly accepted the garbage that has been pumped out by some of the tabloid hacks.

Fans have been both the prophesiers and the victims of Hillsborough, but who believes that they will be invited to play an active part in solving the problems that it highlighted? We will be obliged to meekly accept the remedy offered. Standing has been proved to be bad for us, so we must sit. Stadiums in urban areas are, without exception. unsafe places for large numbers of people to congregate, so, for the common good, all teams will eventually be required set up home on industrial estates in the middle of nowhere. Better still, we are to pay for the changes that are required, despite the huge burdens already endured and the fact that the government takes vast sums of money from the game.

By the time this issue appears, the deaths of those Liverpool fans will have become just another "great story" disgorged by a media which revelled in one of the few disasters that happened live in front of the world's press. After a couple of weeks, there isn't much mileage to be derived from sombre proclamations that "It must never be allowed to happen again".

Of course, it will be allowed to happen again. The ID Cards bill with provisions that almost guarantee that such a tragedy will be repeated is to be pushed through nonetheless. No surprise there. Even after the Zeebrugge sinking, dangerous ferries are sailing the Channel, and on the London Underground, safety of passengers takes primacy only over ensuring that the chocolate machines are functioning adequately.

Some football officials smugly assert that such a disaster couldn't happen at their clubs. What they really mean is that now it has happened to someone else, odds are that it won't recur for a little while. It is less the Safety of Sports Grounds, but, rather, the Law of Averages that they see as adequate protection for their customers.

Disasters are happening so regularly now that we have developed a meaningless set of pseudo-religious rituals to acknowledge them. As has been clear for a long time, no disaster is worthy of the name until leading religious and political figures are officially informed and have given suitably trite quotes to the press. This immediate reaction is followed by The Visit. The seniority of the visitor is determined by media interest and death toll, and is, of course, performed primarily for the benefit of those clicking cameras. Survivors' stories are served up in tandem with chilling reminders of how easily death can take any of us.

All such rituals, crassly inappropriate in the main because they are so formularised, are supposed to make us feel that a mixture of fate and circumstance was ultimately to blame.

The key ritual of this organised disinformation is an inquiry. “Experts” are called forth (in this instance, few people other than football fans have any relevant expertise to offer). After accusations are made and refuted, a report is produced and the cheapest and most politically expedient bits form part of a new law. The rest is made voluntary. Identification of the real culprits is lost amid desperate, scurrying attempts to avoid blame.

The same people who indignantly call for the fences to be torn down now are the same ones who demanded that they should be put up in the first place. Thanks were duly said for there not having been any perimeter fences at Bradford, but no long-term lessons were learned from that fire. Superficial responses were the order of the day.

This is why it isn't all that surprising that the government wants to continue with the dangerous ID cards. It has weathered a sufficient number of crises to know that concern passes very quickly. They obviously reason that all will run smoothly if they can only hang on until something else is on the front pages. However, the ham-fisted attempts to bolster prejudices against football fans through the front pages of the Sun has rather backfired this time.

Once more, everyone is offering opinions on the game and its followers. Can it ever be the same again? Should it continue at all? A number of journalists have trotted out their "I'll never go again" line, much as they did after Heysel. It seems that any measure is justifiable in the wake of Hillsborough and some sort of punishment seems to be the accepted solution. The prime minister has no expertise to offer in this situation. She is blindly determined to act, and to be seen to act in accordance with her public image. She has nothing to say and yet remains shrilly determined to emphasise the fact.

Most of what we have outlined here has been said before. Some of it is repetitious, because football fans have gone on at considerable length in the past about most of these issues. To no avail. No one listens. Perhaps they won't listen now, because after all, we are only supporters. We derive no pleasure from saying any of this. We would much rather crawl into a corner and forget about football for a few weeks, but that isn't possible.

(*) This was the death toll at the time of writing

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1152-september-2012/8991-post-hillsborough-disaster-editorial

Terrific article, all the more so given it was written at the time. The 1st bolded bit remains true to this day, to an extent, in a slightly different context. Rangers, Portsmouth, Luton, Rotherham, Rushden & Diamonds, Shels, Bohs, Drogheda.... i'm sure it's a much longer list than that but what was said in 1989 still holds true nowadays.

The 2nd bolded bit proved to be, sadly, prophetic and it's taken 23 years for the truth to emerge. I would say the majority of football fans knew the real truth long before this but at least it's there in writing now and hopefully only a handful of WUM will continue to spout lies over the fans being to blame.

Thankfully a lot in the article was proved wrong in the fullness of time. The London Tube and its stations are in the midst of a massive upgrade and are already at a far safer level than than the early 90's. Cross-channel ferries are now fairly luxurious and safe. The last time i sailed to Holyhead from Dublin felt like i was on a floating hotel. Police attitudes to fans is chalk and cheese to back then. With a few exceptions, clubs have not been forced to relocate to the "middle of nowhere".

We haven't seen a repeat of the disaster, the standard of stadia in the UK at the upper levels is now excellent. Even in the lower divisions stadia have been vastly improved or redevelopments planned - the likes of Exeter, Gillingham, Southend all have planning permission in place for redevelopments or new stadiums.

The dark days of how football fans were perceived as thugs is largely gone too. The class-stigma attached to football support has diluted in time. It is still a traditionally working-class sport but as the distinctions between classes have continued to blur since the days of the Winter of Discontent, it's not stigmatised as much. Cricket and rugby union have become more accessible (and popular) to the common fan.

Even through large parts of the Noughties, the class distinction was jumbled to the extent a working-class foreman on a building site was likely to be on more money than an upper-class professional. How we judged the nature of class and class warfare has changed. Thankfully the perception of football fans changed with it. Now if we can just get rid of the last few niggling things (like offensive chanting) we'll be flying.

23 long years to have a simple truth unearthed and printed. Too long. For all the improvement in the sport we love that arose from the disaster, it can never be worth the price paid for it - a single life lost for the gains was too much, 96 was far beyond that. In a small way, we need to be thankful and respectful to all those who lost their life at Hillsborough, sadly without that tragedy we likely wouldn't be watching the product we watch today with so many amazing footballers doing battle on the pitch in quality stadiums with a global tv audience. Without the improvements to stadia, to policing, without a ground-shift in the perception of soccer and its fans, we would not have had the Premier League Era, we wouldn't have the Sky TV participation and we likely would have had more heartache in the intervening years.

On the day that was in it yesterday, it speaks to how far we have come as a sport and as fans, that the 2nd biggest story was 2 blokes acting like 10 years olds not shaking each others hand. 23 years ago the talking points were infinitely more serious. Just glad we have come so far and glad the families have finally got the truth in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Nice gesture from the Napoli fans in their game against Parma this weekend:

2hp7nuq.png

And whoever made the credits of MOTD2, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

The MOTD2 part in question:

And the ending of the BBC report on the day itself:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Wonderful tribute before the match tonight.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xto83v_everton-tribute-to-the-96

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Opr

Class !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Opr

As well as the clips posted before this one, a moving moment indeed. I have tears in my eyes now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Many thanks to Everton Football Club for the beautiful ceremony they organised tonight in memory of the victims of Hillsborough. Justice for the 96. RIP. YNWA. Screen shots of the event:

221058.jpg

221059.jpg

221060.jpg

221061.jpg

221062.jpg

• Advertisement

3 final images. Margaret Aspinall and Trevor Hicks at tonights game.

221063.jpg

221064.jpg

221065.jpg

I had tears in my eyes watching the tribute. A great gesture by Everton indeed, some humanity, which is more important than any city rivalry :)

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Absolute class stuff from Everton. They really are a top club. Top quality club with pride, dignity and class, from their manager through their players and down through their fans as well.

Ares wrote: »
    Absolute class stuff from Everton. They really are a top club. Top quality club with pride, dignity and class, from their manager through their players and down through their fans as well.

The contrast between the response of Everton fans and the response that some Manchester United fans managed is quite stark indeed.

The United manager attended the match as well, he made some good remarks over the weekend. I sincerely hope, the match passes without any incidents, such as stupid chants :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is there not a Hillsborough thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Is there not a Hillsborough thread?

Yep, the tribute was mentioned in it just after it occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It has been done to death on many threads since so no need to introduce it into this one.

I think the op was just trying to show some appreciation for Everton specifically away from the cover-up thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I was very happy to see my club show their continued support tonight. This has been happening for the last 23 years on Merseyside and shows that despite our rivalry, there's more important things in life.

I am however pissed off at dropping two points so I shall bid you goodnight.

NSNO-YNWA

Leiva wrote: »
    It has been done to death on many threads since so no need to introduce it into this one.

I think the op was just trying to show some appreciation for Everton specifically away from the cover-up thread.

Thank you. Yes that's the intention of the thread. It would be great if we could hopefully keep the theme going around tonights event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Leiva wrote: »

Thank you. Yes that's the intention of the thread. It would be great if we could hopefully keep the theme going around tonights event.
    I agree . Respect to Everton .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Big thumbs up to Everton.

Fair play to families too, who have been very appreciative of other people appreciation and respect over past week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement