Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ulwireless slow?

Options
  • 12-09-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Any finding the UL wireless unbearably slow since Monday? I was downloading a ZIP file and it was downloading at 2-4kbps - over 1 hour for 15 MB :D

Can't even load a Youtube video without buffering it for 10 minutes first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Decryptor wrote: »
    Any finding the UL wireless unbearably slow since Monday? I was downloading a ZIP file and it was downloading at 2-4kbps - over 1 hour for 15 MB :D

Can't even load a Youtube video without buffering it for 10 minutes first.

It's fine in the C&S office, really bad in the main building though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I'm currently having to tether my phones internet connection :D

I just emailed ITD about it, they said they'd pass it on to the network team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ChickenZombie

It rockets in the CSIS building... 50 faster that in the stables... seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It rockets in the CSIS building... 50 faster that in the stables... seriously...

CSIS Master Race. :cool: :pac:

It's always crap in the Stables though, so that's not a good place to compare anything to.

It appears to be gone down completely for me now. Stuck on "Identifying..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Was working fine for me on my phone this morning in Schrodinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

UL wireless has never been the best. It comes and goes sometimes it really is a lottery. One sure thing is it's fast in the morning, and a lot slower in the evening.

Kinda on the side, but if you really need reliable wireless access in uni, maybe just forget ulwireless and go for an o2 student usb dongle... e10 per month for 15gb and e1 per extra gb over... got mine in the o2 parkway shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

its dropping the connection for my phone and internet alot lately, needs to be sorted ASAP

Just wondering... what's the history of the current shiit ulwireless... has it ever been good ????

also, what a joke for a modern uni... who's responsible ???? slap, slap...

are SU doing anything this ????

the student body should really insist that this pathetic craap service is sorted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The library claim to have improved it over the summer but I have my doubts

In some areas where less people are connected to that particular access point it is actually grand, but it's regularly overloaded in high traffic aras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It's always going to be a problem with peoples smartphones, iPods, etc constantly connecting/disconnecting from point to point, even when not in use.

Still sh!te I see. What else have ITD got to do at this time of year? :D Surely this should be a priority...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Ah sure its on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In the library and getting speeds of about 46 Mbps. Not too shabby.

I haven't seen any speed like that, but it appears to be on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Decryptor wrote: »
    I haven't seen any speed like that, but it appears to be on the way back.

Yeah, well, it would't connect today from the same location so still some kinks in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

a few years ago it was perfect. its down to smart phones and tablets mostly, and how they handle low power connectivity by disconnecting and reconnecting all the time. The network was never designed to handle that kind of stuff. it probably needs a complete overhaul, and the ITD arent quick to do anything. whether its due to red tape or not I wouldn't know.

The only thing about smartphones now is that mobile ISPs are getting their heads out of the arses and are offering unlimited data with most smartphones now.

Advertisement