Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for car harness suggestions

• 12-09-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I usually put my two dogs in the luggage area of my jeep with a barrier preventing them from climing over to the back seat. However, I'm taking them on holiday to Kerry with me next month and would prefer to have them on the back seat and keep the luggage area free for, er, luggage. I also like the idea of having them closer to me. :o

I've been looking at car harnesses on Zooplus, but most of the cheaper ones state that they're only to keep the dog in place and aren't guaranteeed in the case of an accident. Basically it sounds as though my regular walking harnesses would do the same job? The proper safety harnesses look great, but I can't really afford to spend €100+ on two of them.

So I'm wondering what kind of car harnesses people here use for their dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I use this seatbelt connector http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/dog_car_harnesses/129704
    attached to a normal good quality harness - the adjuster catch thingy loosens though so I shorten the length by tying knots in it -it works well - you can get them in most pet shops.

All the harness sold as seatbelt/harness are much the same as normal harnesses - so you must buy the certified crash tested type which will be stated on the product. The Hunter harness in your link looks good but that doesnt seem to have been crash tested either- so effectively its still just a normal harness attached to a seatbelt.

This one has been crash tested albeit at 30 mph! http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/protection_fashion/car_safety/129705

I need to look into the crash tested ones myself ...anyway you are just as fine using a normal harness with a connector as you are with any of the ones sold as seatbelts unless its been crash tested.

Just for interest sake a Crate for travelling in the car should also be certified crash tested (not sure if any of them are)- apparently most of them will blow apart on impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks maggiepip, good point about the crash testing! Although 30mph doesn't sound like much of a test to be honest. I'd imagine most well constructed harnesses would stand up to a crash at that speed (although I could be wrong).

I eventually decided to go for the Ezydog chestplate harnesses. They worked out at €20 each from Amazon. There's no mention of crash testing, but they look a lot stronger than the harnesses I have at the moment and come with a seat belt attachment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Hope you all enjoy your holiday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No idea if it's been crash tested but that's a really good thing to point out but anyhoo..I use a hi-kraft dog car harness can't remember where I got it I'd say it was from a pet shop. But we also have a clip on seat belt that we got from zooplus...a lot cheaper than a dog harness (if your dog already wears a regular harness). You just clip it into the car seat buckle and then attach the other end to your dogs regular harness loop. Both have worked well for us although better in the back seat because big dogs can bump their noggins even with a good harness in the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I got all my car harnesses from aldi or lidl,cant remember which but never had a problem with them,and not even close too 100 euro:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

boxerly wrote: »
    I got all my car harnesses from aldi or lidl,cant remember which but never had a problem with them,and not even close too 100 euro:)

You can't compare those one to a car harness with a proper chest plate and padding etc to protect the dog in a crash. For a small dog maybe - but not a big dog imo.

I have a clix one - got it 2 years ago and still in one piece and my dog is in the car a LOT lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We've got one made of the same material as car seat belts, therefore it's very strong. Don't know the make though. There's a long loop at the top of the harness through which you thread the seat belt. Works well, and didn't cost a lot either. Think it might've been about E20 from Petstop in Cork.

Dog's in the car almost daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

The Ezydog harnesses arrives from Amazon on Monday and so far I'm really pleased with them. The chestplate seems nicely padded and they're a very good fit. They look great too ;)

The seat belt attachment they came with them is way too short though! It's only about 20cm long. They'd having to by lying down on their sides the whole time!

tk123 wrote: »
    You can't compare those one to a car harness with a proper chest plate and padding etc to protect the dog in a crash. For a small dog maybe - but not a big dog imo.

I have a clix one - got it 2 years ago and still in one piece and my dog is in the car a LOT lol!

The one I got there has a padded chest plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

boxerly wrote: »
    The one I got there has a padded chest plate

Fair enough - the ones I was thinking of were like the ones in this link which is not enough coverage for a large dog - http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_22497.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I got my dog a seatbelt attachment for his normal walking harness (actually for a drive down to Kerry too!) but I never considered the harness's own safety/strength/padding til I read this thread, thanks OP!
    Think I'll be ordering the woof a new harness for the trip down this winter.

tk123 wrote: »
    Fair enough - the ones I was thinking of were like the ones in this link which is not enough coverage for a large dog - http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_22497.htm

diff ones :) I got mine a few years back,dont like the look of the one in the link:(very thin:(.

Advertisement