Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses to CIT for evening courses

Options
  • 12-09-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I've also posted this over on the CIT forum, but seeing as there's a good bit more traffic here in the Cork City forum I'm sticking up my desperate request here too.

So, I'm going to be starting my course next week, 4 evenings a week from 7pm to 9pm. As grants/financing are impossible, I'm funding college by working fulltime up until 6pm (Hollyhill Industrial Estate).

No car, no scooter, have a bike but the thought of cycling up Cathedral Road each morning to get to work fills me with dread, which leaves me with walking and public transport (and taxis in the worst case and scenario, but don't really have the funds for it to be a regular thing).

So one option seems to be the 201, which stops outside my work. However the last bus leaves Lotabeg at 17.20, anyone hazard a guess at when it might pass up at Apple? I'm guessing that it's the same bus that leaves the CUH terminus at 18.10, so I think it's a non-runner.

The number 205 seems to stop right outside college, but it looks like it takes college road rather than Western Road, so I'd have to walk down from Hollyhill and catch it at Dennehy's Cross. Again, from the timetable it leaves Kent Station at 1815 - any ideas when this would pass at Dennehy's Cross? The next one leaves Kent Station at 1830 - again, when might this pass at Dennehy's Cross and might it get me to college in time?

Lastly, the number 208 stops at the end of Curraheen Rd, but it seems to be more frequent than the 205 and goes via Western Road rather than College Road. Again, Bus Eireann just provide the time of departure from Lotabeg... so any ideas if catching the bus on Western Road around 18.30 might get me to college in time.

All advice/experience appreciated including alternative commute ideas such as pogo-sticking, hang gliding etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

kaki wrote: »
    The number 205 seems to stop right outside college, but it looks like it takes college road rather than Western Road, so I'd have to walk down from Hollyhill and catch it at Dennehy's Cross. Again, from the timetable it leaves Kent Station at 1815 - any ideas when this would pass at Dennehy's Cross? The next one leaves Kent Station at 1830 - again, when might this pass at Dennehy's Cross and might it get me to college in time?

If the bus leaves Kent Station at 18:15, I'd say it'd arrive at Dennehy's Cross at approx. 18:45, depending on traffic and how many people are getting on or off it. It's a fair distance. I'd rule out the 18:30 bus completely.
    kaki wrote: »
    Lastly, the number 208 stops at the end of Curraheen Rd, but it seems to be more frequent than the 205 and goes via Western Road rather than College Road. Again, Bus Eireann just provide the time of departure from Lotabeg... so any ideas if catching the bus on Western Road around 18.30 might get me to college in time.

All advice/experience appreciated including alternative commute ideas such as pogo-sticking, hang gliding etc.

I'd say the 208 might be your best (and most reliable) bet. Before around 8pm, they seem to be more frequent than at other times and, if you walked down from Apple to the bus stop located sort of across the road from AIB and just before Sacred Heart Church on Western road, you probably wouldn't have any bother getting a bus in a timely fashion. I'd say the walk from work - assuming you finish at around 5 (what time do you finish?) - would take you about 30-35 minutes, so you'd probably be able to catch the 208 at around 18:00 or so on Western road.

As far as I can remember (I moved from Cork a few years ago, but grew up there), the 208 goes down Melbourne road after taking Curraheen road, in the direction of CIT, so you could easily walk to the college from there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the 208 going down Melbourne road (it may just go straight on, remaining on Curraheen road, instead of turning right for Melbourne road after passing the Credit Union on the left).

Assuming it does, if you got off at the last stop down that road (just before the library and petrol station on the corner on the left), it'd take about 5-10 mins to walk to CIT, so I would imagine you'd make it for your classes at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I say your best bet is to try out the 201 this week and see if you would make it to CIT in time, otherwise you would have to get at least two buses or walk to VIctoria Cross as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

It's not a straightforward journey.

I used to travel by bus out to Bishopstown and as far as I know, the 208 doesn't go down Melbourn Road. It stops near the Centra at Curraheen Road (nearest stop to CIT, but probably 10 minutes' walk away) and then continues along Curraheen Road.

You might be better off getting the 205. Instead of going to Dennehy's Cross it might be quicker to walk across the Shakey Bridge, then up via Gaol Cross to College Road to the stop near the Kiwi Cafe.

Both routes have real-time information at whensmybus.ie or you can download a smartphone app, which might help you.

It's probably just about do-able in an hour but there are usually lots of taxis around Western Road and College Road if you end up running late.

The other option might be to buy a cheap bike and station it near Fitzgerald's Park and cycle to CIT from there. There are some cycle lanes and it's fairly flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Arriving by train from Dublin about 17.20 on Fridays. Id find it hard to make the earlier train.
    Will I make CIT in time for class start at 6 pm? What bus/es
    Should I opt for a taxi instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

PMBC wrote: »
    Arriving by train from Dublin about 17.20 on Fridays. Id find it hard to make the earlier train.

The 205 goes from the train station to CIT but at that time you're dealing with Friday evening traffic. Would be a struggle to get from Kent to CIT for 6. Taxi would be quicker but again Friday evening traffic to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Traffic probably starting to clear a bit by that time Friday, but the 205 route is very unreliable at the best of times - the drivers just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

PMBC wrote: »

No on the bus. The timetable states that the next bus is 17:30 and arrives at 18:15. However, at that time I'd assume even longer TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Thanks folks and apologies I didnt realise I posted twice

Advertisement