Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox freezing

Options
  • 12-09-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I got a couple of months out of playing fifa 12 grand and running fine and i also had the previous couple of fifas. however for the last few months the game has started freezing (stopping and starting) during offline matches and i would eventually be dashboarded with the disk read error. Can't say i have experienced it playing online.

However the thing is the game is installed on the console, tried uninstalling it and deleting all game saves for fifa 12 from the xbox but to no avail. Disk is not particularly scratched but it refuses to reinstall on the xbox now with the disk read error reappearing.

Out of curiousity, a few nights ago i tried going back to fifa 11 which i never had a problem with but once again the game freezes during gameplay.

Have had my xbox since january 2010 and was wondering if it is an overheating or a lens problems or a processing problem. Should i just bite the bullet and buy a new xbox or is there anything i can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If the game is installed, it can't be disc/lens related because as I understand it, the only time the disc is used in this case is to validate the game on launch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just on launch? Then can u remove the disc after it starts or what? Presumably it would poll the disc at regular intervals.
    Or maybe it plays music off it, or does literally every piece of data get installed to disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Just on launch? Then can u remove the disc after it starts or what? Presumably it would poll the disc at regular intervals.
    Or maybe it plays music off it, or does literally every piece of data get installed to disc?
    It just checks that the disc is in the drive when starting up, doesn't check the disc again till you launch the game again.
    The Xbox will still go back to the dashboard if you eject the disc

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Have you tried taking of the hdd and playing the game ?
    It's not uncommon for hard drives to fail.

Just get rid of the variables and I'll try to diagnose the problem for you.

Even though when installed, a disc can cause this if a scratch is right at the area it verifies.
    Does it do it with any other games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Have you tried taking of the hdd and playing the game ?
    It's not uncommon for hard drives to fail.

Just get rid of the variables and I'll try to diagnose the problem for you.

Last night, i tried with the hard drive on and problems persists, game freezing with it becoming more frequent the longer i played. then took off the hard drive and surprise, surprise the game plays perfectly. One of my friends has a spare hdd so going to try that tomorrow.

Just find it a bit unusual this is only happening on my fifa games and also on the new fifa demo and not on my other games.

Last night, i tried with the hard drive on and problems persists, game freezing with it becoming more frequent the longer i played. then took off the hard drive and surprise, surprise the game plays perfectly. One of my friends has a spare hdd so going to try that tomorrow.

Just find it a bit unusual this is only happening on my fifa games and also on the new fifa demo and not on my other games.

Could be the cache or title update is corrupted in some way.
    Clear the cache on the hdd and go into your fifa profile and delete the TITLE UPDATE and retry before you change the HDD.
    You will get a fifa update then and can rule it in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye try delete the whole game off the HDD and reinstall.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ye try delete the whole game off the HDD and reinstall.

Already tried this and it didn't work. Wouldn't make sense i don't think with the same thing happening in fifa 11 and also the fifa 13 demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

did you drop the hard drive ?
    Could be bad sectors where the game is contained.

Honestly I'd say you might need a new hard drive

• Advertisement

did you drop the hard drive ?
    Could be bad sectors where the game is contained.

Honestly I'd say you might need a new hard drive
    Yep, formatting it might be worth a try too though.

Meesared wrote: »
    Yep, formatting it might be worth a try too though.

Right, on Saturday morning I moved everything from the HDD to a usb stick and reformatted the drive. Result, game worked perfectly, no freezes and happy days.

Tried it again today, first few games went off without a hitch, then whole systems stops, red light on bottom quadrant comes on and I'm told a system update needs to be downloaded to fix these issues and that my storage device may be corrupted. All in all I think my HDD is cooked and has gone to meet its maker.

sounds like it unfortunately

Advertisement