Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Visa Debit Card?

Options
  • 12-09-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭

I seem to have been posted one of these the other day.....my laser card wasnt due to expire....would it make sense to possibly cancel my BOI credit card and my BOI laser card would this do the job of both?
    Which of these do I need really? I know there are costs for having any of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Visa debit card replacing your laser card. I think the laser card will work until you use the visa card at an ATM then the laser card gets cancelled, or after a couple of months the laser card will automatically be cancelled.

Should be plenty of other threads about it here... and it should all be in the documentation sent out with the new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thanks really appreciate that! I can probably cancel credit card as well then...as most places online take visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

well these things work in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

There's probably some differences between Visa Debit and Credit cards. for on there's maximum daily transaction amounts on the Visa Debit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80244301. As far as I can remember you can't rent a car using a debit card.

There's probably a few other issues with using debit cards v credit cards, so you might want to check up on some of these before you get rid of the credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alma N

hi i have two questions the first question is a visa debit card the same as a laser card and the second question i have ask is i did not ask for a visa debit card but bank of ireland sent me one i was just wondering why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Alma N wrote: »
    hi i have two questions the first question is a visa debit card the same as a laser card and the second question i have ask is i did not ask for a visa debit card but bank of ireland sent me one i was just wondering why?

Laser and Visa Debit are both debit cards and are basically the same. Just Visa Debit works in far more places especially online and abroad

Bank of Ireland sent you one because they are phasing out laser and replacing them with Visa Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Will we be charged extra now on the likes of Irish Rail and Ticketmaster for using Visa Debit instead of Laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That depends on the retailer in question

Advertisement