Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in food prep or market stalls

Options
  • 12-09-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey all,

Would really be interested in finding a job on a farmers market stall or somewhere like the English Market. I love the passion these people have for their produce. Love cooking and creating dishes too so would love to get involved in some way....anybody know of any opportunities? I guess that as they are very small that its going to be a lot of family or friend help.

Im not looking to earn lots of money or anything but would just like to gain more food experience really - the sandwich stall at English Market making up all those great salads and sandwiches would be unreal :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Wow you have an incredibly romantic food of working at markets, just like I used to! :D I've worked on the farmers market and the English market, it's bloody tough work, you can expect 7am starts in the middle winter, long shifts, never to get a weekend off and plenty of chillblains, it's horrific work in winter. I can't see that you'd learn much as far as food goes though tbh, after a few days you'll see you're making the same thing day in day out, it wouldn't be like in an internship at a restaurant or anything. There's nothing you can't learn from a good cook book. Your best off just going up and talking to people to see if they have anything going, it's a fairly casual area, but they generally hook up their mates and mates of mates with work in my experience. If you are going to do it, don't say you don't expect to get paid well (especailly in the English Market where there have been rumours of exploitation in the past) because you bloody deserve to be paid well when the work day is so long, hard and cold. Good luck with it!

Advertisement