Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into RC modelling

Options
  • 12-09-2012 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

I recently started a new job. I found out yesterday that I have a 2 week training course in october, and I found out today that I wont be working on any projects until January 1st at the earliest. My supervisor actually told me to take up a hobby and bring it to 'work' to keep myself sane. I have read practically everythread on Boards and Reddit and need something to do. I'm considering building an RC model. I would like to build the circuitry for the Radio transmitter / reciever, as well as the model its self.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, advice, or any specific kits which might suit me?

There is a sizeable pond in the office campus so I was thinking about a boat or amphibious vehicle. Or as its my first perhaps just a standard car type project.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ok, so I have decided to build a boat. As a result of money being tight at the moment, I am going to get a model that can be modded for a motor and reciever. I am going to see if I can find plans on the internet for a simple 2.4GHz tx / rx and see if I can build the unit from scratch, that should cut down on the cost quite a bit. I will post up pictures of my progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yeah budget is the uber important thing I suppose, along with skill level and interest level. Plenty of great kits available out there, ranging from a cheap €10 non rc plastic model (Airfix etc.) to a €1000 easliy, and upwards to several €1000's for the big daddy's.

Glad you got going. Post up some pics of the progress.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Yeah budget is the uber important thing I suppose, along with skill level and interest level. Plenty of great kits available out there, ranging from a cheap €10 non rc plastic model (Airfix etc.) to a €1000 easliy, and upwards to several €1000's for the big daddy's.

Glad you got going. Post up some pics of the progress.

Not sure if "Got going" would accurately describe me just yet. Im still doing lots of reading. I dont want to spend money on the wrong thing. Im comfortable with a soldering iron and a circuit diagram, so I might start with the tx while I save up for a decent kit. There really is a lovely pond next to my office, so I would love to put something on it before it freezes during the winter.

Well I've never come across anybody building their own radio gear. Are you sure it's even possbile???

Well I've never come across anybody building their own radio gear. Are you sure it's even possbile???

How do you think the first ever radio was built?

I've built small shortwave radios in the past, as well as Electric guitar effects pedals, and a few other things. In fact one time, I built a high gain(distortion) pedal, and if I turned up overdrive on the amp and stretched the cable out on the floor i could pick up German radio signals, and play them through the amp.

Standard RC nowadays uses 2.4Ghz which is a much wider band. I'm not sure how that will affect the build design, but I'm researching it.

I went to an RC shop yesterday and they had a load of second hand and used RC radio parts, so it really depends on which is cheaper, cannibalising some old broken tx units, or starting from scratch. I'll keep you updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

You can buy a brand new3 Ch tx and rx for 2.4ghz for less than 50 euro. "computer" based systems with just about everything adjustable for 70. Its one of those things thats really not worth your while doing.

The Doktor wrote: »
    You can buy a brand new3 Ch tx and rx for 2.4ghz for less than 50 euro. "computer" based systems with just about everything adjustable for 70. Its one of those things thats really not worth your while doing.

50 euro is 1250 Czech crowns which is beginning to get into serious money for me so, I will continue to look and see how much from scratch or cannibalising 2 systems will cost me.

Though I really appreciate your input. Can you point me in the direction of one of these 50 euro units?

syklops wrote: »
    50 euro is 1250 Czech crowns which is beginning to get into serious money for me so, I will continue to look and see how much from scratch or cannibalising 2 systems will cost me.

Though I really appreciate your input. Can you point me in the direction of one of these 50 euro units?

Have a look for Core RC and Etronix Pulse systems. You can get them second hand for half nothing. Also they are pretty cheap on ebay. They arent actually half bad either, a few guys i know have been using them a good while with no real issues.
    Modern 2.4ghz radio gear, even the cheap stuff is pretty advanced compared to stuff of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭privilegue

The Doktor wrote: »
    Have a look for Core RC and Etronix Pulse systems. You can get them second hand for half nothing. Also they are pretty cheap on ebay. They arent actually half bad either, a few guys i know have been using them a good while with no real issues.
    Modern 2.4ghz radio gear, even the cheap stuff is pretty advanced compared to stuff of old.

Or he could just turn to Hobbyking and buy a 9CH Turnigy Radio that is easy to upgrade with the FRSky DIY Kit and save himself 300 odd Euro and get a radio that is just the same if not better than premade radios from Futaba / Spektrum.

BTW that kit costs you 36$ + 17$ for the DIY. There is even youtube tutorials on how to solder everything together and make it work.

Search for RCModelReviews on youtube and you're sorted. I personally have "modded" many of the old 72MHz radios with FRSky / similar 2.4 GHz modifications and in most situations those old 72MHz radios can be gotten quite cheap. (off of ebay etc.) Just have a look around and you'll find something.

privilegue wrote: »
    Or he could just turn to Hobbyking and buy a 9CH Turnigy Radio that is easy to upgrade with the FRSky DIY Kit and save himself 300 odd Euro and get a radio that is just the same if not better than premade radios from Futaba / Spektrum.

BTW that kit costs you 36$ + 17$ for the DIY. There is even youtube tutorials on how to solder everything together and make it work.

Search for RCModelReviews on youtube and you're sorted. I personally have "modded" many of the old 72MHz radios with FRSky / similar 2.4 GHz modifications and in most situations those old 72MHz radios can be gotten quite cheap. (off of ebay etc.) Just have a look around and you'll find something.

The turnigy stuff is the same as etronix and core. Just different labels.
    Theres a whole heap of other names on them too.

• Advertisement

Right so you should be fine making mods to those easy then. Have you modded them or know of anyone who did? I am gonna start looking into this some time soon. I have not yet worked with etronix / core, hence my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

sorry if this tread is to do with rc helicopter/planes but just wondering if anyone could give me some info on nitro fuel cars.are they any good,easy to maintain whats the average price for one.thanks for any info.

cheers Rob

Right so you should be fine making mods to those easy then. Have you modded them or know of anyone who did? I am gonna start looking into this some time soon. I have not yet worked with etronix / core, hence my question.

Im not sure where this whole modding thing is going? The OP wants to build an RC boat. He only needs 3 channels for that. And he wants to do it for less than 50 quid.
    Fair enough if down the line he wants to add more to it, but for now, just get himself up and running.

Any core, etronix, turnigy, elcheapo will do just fine for him.

Or he could just turn to Hobbyking and buy a 9CH Turnigy Radio that is easy to upgrade with the FRSky DIY Kit and save himself 300 odd Euro and get a radio that is just the same if not better than premade radios from Futaba / Spektrum. ...

That is simply not true. You can not put the likes of Futaba on par with some cheap Chinese clone.

That is simply not true. You can not put the likes of Futaba on par with some cheap Chinese clone.

You can, once you upgrade them (mod with packs from FRSky etc.). But I guess you know since you have a modded radio like this do you?

I only own 2 Futaba radios and 1 Spektrum and 3 "cheap" modded chinese "crap" radios, and let me tell you they perform better than my T8FG... But it's ok I am not going to start the whole radio epeen conversation on this forum...

Advertisement