Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many senior hurlers by county

• 12-09-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello all, Does anyone know where I can find a list showing the number of senior level hurlers per county? I've looked on Gaa.ie and in the county websites and can't find much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

You'd do well to find that per county. I presume you are talking club hurlers per county that are considered senior for their clubs? County boards keep a list of players that have been regraded etc - but in some clubs a lad that was maybe junior year is a year older now and playing senior. Plus a lot of clubs give junior lads runs out in senior league comps. So almost impossible to get an accurate figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Do you mean senior club hurlers in each county?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭emmetfahy

Yea, basically I want to try to find out the number of players eligable to play senior hurling for their county. I'd like to compare the numbers of hurlers per county to that counties level of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

emmetfahy wrote: »
    Yea, basically I want to try to find out the number of players eligable to play senior hurling for their county. I'd like to compare the numbers of hurlers per county to that counties level of success.

Thats sort of open-ended. Every lad is eligible to play senior - but only so many are regarded to be good enough. And that changes every year too with lads retiring, getting old and lads coming out of minor and under 21 and getting the call up. In Clare alone, something like 50 odd diffferent lads were given a go at senior IC from the start of the year, the squad was massive.

Everyone who is a playing member of an adult club is eligible to play for the county senior team, but in reality some of these lads would be subs on their clubs 4th or 5th teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭emmetfahy

Points taken. I suppose a better question might be therefore the number of adult hurlers by county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

Points taken. I suppose a better question might be therefore the number of adult hurlers by county?
    I don't think you will find any one place to answer that for all counties.

I would just go to each individual County Website and find out how many Adult Hurling Championships there are (Senior - Intermediate - Junior A..B..C etc etc). Then find out how many teams are in each competition. Total it up, and you will have the total number of Adult hurling teams in the county.

Then pick a number that you want to use as the average number of players per panel....Personally I would say something around 18 - 20 and multiply that by the number of teams.

There would be a bit of work in it though.

Every adult hurler has to pay insurance and be registered with Croke Park, info must be available somewhere under the Freedom of Information Act??

Press Office in Croke Park might be a good place to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Would be easier to ask for the number of adult hurling clubs in my opinion.

My own county for example; 15 senior teams, 16 intermediate, 26 Junior A and 29 Junior B. So that's 86 adult teams with an estimated average of say 25 players comes to an estimate of 2150 hurlers in Limerick.

Would be next to impossible to find definite figures in my opinion, number of adult teams is more straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Every adult hurler has to pay insurance and be registered with Croke Park, info must be available somewhere under the Freedom of Information Act??

Press Office in Croke Park might be a good place to start?
    if internal gaa documents are subject to the Freedom of information act then all sorts of interesting things would come to light I am sure. Stuff like county finances maybe.... and we'd have a better insight into how counties like Kildare got themselves into their current mess.

But... the GAA as a private organisation is not bound by such legislation for public governmental and semi state companies so its irrelevant.

• Advertisement

if internal gaa documents are subject to the Freedom of information act then all sorts of interesting things would come to light I am sure. Stuff like county finances maybe.... and we'd have a better insight into how counties like Kildare got themselves into their current mess.

But... the GAA as a private organisation is not bound by such legislation for public governmental and semi state companies so its irrelevant.

Pretty sure as of 18 months ago all bodies receiving state funding i.e GAA, Charities etc. are subject to the Freedom of Information Act as a condition of their continued funding, I know Croke Park certainly release public accounts every year like any business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 dubliner 2

County Boards publish accounts.

Shouldn't be hard to find out what happened in Kildare:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hello all, Does anyone know where I can find a list showing the number of senior level hurlers per county? I've looked on Gaa.ie and in the county websites and can't find much.

Should be easy enough to figure out.

Go to every counties GAA page and check out the fixtures and count each team in Senior/Intermediate/Junior A, multiply that number by 22/25 and that should give you a fairly accurate number of eligable players (the overlap of subs should cover Junior A players on the senior team etc.)

Advertisement