Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calming treatment for dog

• 12-09-2012 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Wondering if anyone could recommend something to help calm down our family dog. He is is a fairly active breed and is walked and exercised regularly. He is usually good on the lead but the issue is if we take him to a new area, especially a woods/forest, he becomes impossible to control. We travel a lot and the problem is coming to a stage where we are considering leaving him at home. We have a harness and an extendable lead. We don't want to use a control muzzle on him so we would like recommendations on something like a calming spray, supplement etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Blissy wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone could recommend something to help calm down our family dog. He is is a fairly active breed and is walked and exercised regularly. He is usually good on the lead but the issue is if we take him to a new area, especially a woods/forest, he becomes impossible to control. We travel a lot and the problem is coming to a stage where we are considering leaving him at home. We have a harness and an extendable lead. We don't want to use a control muzzle on him so we would like recommendations on something like a calming spray, supplement etc.

I don't think that will help, this is more of a training issue. When you say difficult to control do you mean pulling on lead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I think you really need to address the behaviour rather than looking for something else. Once that's sorted life is easier, you won't have to go around looking for sprays or tablets. :D

I have used calming tablets (both over counter and vet prescribed) for my dog, and I can tell you neither would fix the problem you have mentioned. My dog was full of energy still, just not as anxious.I still had to sort her obedience. Really addressing the obedience is your only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Extendable leads give you absolutely no control whatsoever, so I would suggest just walking him on a normal lead so that you can keep him close by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

As ISDW, extendable leads are not good for control at all and harnesses only encourage a dog to pull, so its two of the worst things you could use on your dog in these situations.

There are plenty of good head collars, front harnesses which help with the pulling.
    The Dogmatic is great and i use them on my rotties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

andreac wrote: »
    As ISDW, extendable leads are not good for control at all and harnesses only encourage a dog to pull, so its two of the worst things you could use on your dog in these situations.

There are plenty of good head collars, front harnesses which help with the pulling.
    The Dogmatic is great and i use them on my rotties.

+ one.... i use the dogmatic on my spaniel he is a demon for pulling its works a treat :D

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Would it be the food he's on, what are you feeding him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Blissy

Yes the problem is he pulls on the lead. Its only in certain situations, he's fine when he is in areas he is use to but when he goes to new territories he gets so overexcited. So how do I work on training for this? He is getting old so I'm wondering is it too late to work on training. I've thought about something like the dogmatic, they just seem a bit harsh and I know he wouldn't appreciate it :rolleyes: but if everyone thinks they are the best option I guess I'll give one a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

How long does his overexcitement last?

I walk my dogs on a walking belt and bungee leads, they tend to be excited at the start of a walk, but then settle down, with the bungee section on the lead, it means when they pull it doesn't damage their joints, or mine :) I used to get most of my stuff from countryhounds, they do still exist, but are now in the UK, the old web address will probably redirect you - www.countryhounds.ie There are also other companies that do the belts and leads - Kissi, SASS, culpeppers, snowpawstore, Willows Leads are on facebook, just one woman making collars and leads, she does walking harnesses, and leads to any length you want, but not bungees. Trailbaby in Scotland will make bungee leads in whatever colour you want. If you can't find any of the details, just let me know and I'll get you the websites, I'm on a dongle at the moment, and can't have more than one window open at a time :(

Advertisement