Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookcase Advice Needed!

• 12-09-2012 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to do something like this image at home. I can source the boxes no problem, I just need some advice;

1) What varnish or woodstain would give me a similar effect to the one on the photo? They are currently light in colour.

2) Any recommendations on what to stick the crates together with?

and

3) I want to mount this to the wall as I have a 15 month old and would be afraid he'd pull a few boxes down on himself!

Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

48765608435082937_5wTXiC72_f.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Hey
    That dark, you'd be getting into a regular gloss paint or super dark wood stain. Get to a good hardware shop and try find out what kind of wood you have to deal with. It'll affect finish and colour. As to sticking them together, again head to the hardware or DIY shop and ask for mending plates, or brackets as they're also known. They come in two and four slots. Get some screws that will fit securely and are small enough not to be popping through ruining your finish or your books.
    As to it falling down, once you have them all painted and secured together(do te painting first I'd say but others might disagree) get a suitable wall bracket, or a few depending on it's size, and be sure to check the wall is up to holding it.
    Other than that have fun building. Can I ask where you got the crates? Been looking for something like them for a while with no joy.
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to do something like this image at home. I can source the boxes no problem, I just need some advice;

1) What varnish or woodstain would give me a similar effect to the one on the photo? They are currently light in colour.

2) Any recommendations on what to stick the crates together with?

and

3) I want to mount this to the wall as I have a 15 month old and would be afraid he'd pull a few boxes down on himself!

Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

48765608435082937_5wTXiC72_f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Thanks for the advice David! I'm getting them from an artisan supermarket I used to work in here in Waterford. They're not exactly like those in the picture, but they're close enough! The mandarin oranges and lemons are delivered in the crates, they just let customers take them to bring home shopping when they are empty then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd bolt each box through the sides and top/bottom with interscrews,
    or you could use M6 joint connector nuts and bolts

The chrome or nickel might go well with a dark finish.

Advertisement