Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review one page of website

• 12-09-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys,

Just done a front page of website as the website is in development, we have gone for a blurred out background, but not sure if I love it or hate. It will be a betting website and we are around 3 months away so could be up for a while and want to get it right.

oddball.ie

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Nope. Dont like it. I have bad eyesight and that really f""ked with my head. Actually hurts my eyes. Change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Looks like a phishing for emails site as it's asking for details just to view withy no info as to why.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 etab

We've got small free promotional events in train which we can't stop even though our website has being delayed, so we're getting a small amount of traffic, but want to get across who we are.

I think we thought the blurred page looked good, but that was because we knew what the clear picture was i.e. we didn't have virgin eyes. So we will try and changed it to something more suitable.

Media999 wrote: »
    Nope. Dont like it. I have bad eyesight and that really f""ked with my head. Actually hurts my eyes. Change it.

Just removed the blur, looks a little plane Jane, but we were probably trying to be too edgy. The other option we considered was just a grass background, but want to give some insight into the website.

Thanks for input.

Yeah i see what you mean alright. Its gonna need a think.

Even use some other type of fade.

Blurry was definitely blinding for the simple reason that you had to read the text in the middle of the screen while your eyes couldnt concentrate properly. maybe because youve read the text already you didnt really notice.

• Advertisement

Yeah might try something like that, trying to maintain some mystery and a bit of style without annoying people with blur or similar.

Cheers.

great effect here. Black and white glow in the centre. Brings your eyes straight to the centre.

http://launchrock.com/

maybe use a learn more button with a preview of the site instead of a background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Don't like the orangy/mustard 'ODD'. It sore on the eyes. I don't like the grass thing either. The website in the middle looks good, well laid out, fb icon etc gives it a professional feel but maybe stretch that across the entire page and forget about the grass, it's off putting.

Yeah, the grass border is too big particularly on a widescreen. Tried changing but results in just getting the top row of icons in, so ends up looking worse, but think that is mainly down to limitations of launchrock, rather than anything else.

I'm afraid we're married to the mustard orange although we don't call it mustard naturally;).

We've gone live now, so the one page is gone forever!

• Advertisement

Paragraph on the homescreen is a wasted opportunity. Doesnt really catch the eye as much as it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Etab - well done on the site - I delved in a bit, interesting stuff. But, that does not come across at first glance. Site actually looks like a fantasy league site, didn't realise it was a sport betting site. You really have to grab attention quickly and get your 'elevator pitch' accross quickly -which I dont think you do.
    For user experience stuff - get 20 people to look at the site and give you feedback

Thanks, yeah the smart stuff on the website is really the bet pages. Thanks for the focus group suggestion, we're working on the few bugs we know before we start the focus groups, hoping to do something in bars with in-play betting. We tried a rating button (Usabilla.com) for rating the website but wouldn't work with our script.
    We actually thought people would watch the video, but hasn't been the case and the square box is more important than we thought for newbies. In a way we're a fantasy sports betting site at the moment as we're in beta for at least two more months, so hard to get the virtual money aspect across without sounding like you would be betting on a dragon fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

etab wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah the smart stuff on the website is really the bet pages. Thanks for the focus group suggestion, we're working on the few bugs we know before we start the focus groups, hoping to do something in bars with in-play betting. We tried a rating button (Usabilla.com) for rating the website but wouldn't work with our script.
    We actually thought people would watch the video, but hasn't been the case and the square box is more important than we thought for newbies. In a way we're a fantasy sports betting site at the moment as we're in beta for at least two more months, so hard to get the virtual money aspect across without sounding like you would be betting on a dragon fight.

Well, for the moment, be dead straight, tell people that it quacks and its a duck (in beta!). I'll have a shufty around tomorrow and get back to you.

Yeah, the header, that comes across the top indicates we're just for fun, which once closed disappears forever. Difficult to get the balance with wording around who we are today and what we will be when we launch after beta. We change it now, but may need further adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

Just as a user of it, I think the site is really good.

The only thing I would change would be the bet history section in Account by possibly adding tabs such as open bets and completed bets (or with some other names)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

At the moment these guys are on Dragons Den.

Thanks for the feedback, Our account section takes an extra click than we would like. Its added to our list and we'll start mocking designs for this in the next few weeks. At the moment we're doing some work on simplifying our sign-up, and we just changed our betslip to make it slightly simpler.

At the moment these guys are on Dragons Den.

Yes that was us, well spotted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

When do you go live ?

• Advertisement

We have a launch planned for August, we will be making large changes over the next 6 weeks, starting with our mobile design and simplifying the sign-up, followed by credit card integration.

We wanted to perfect the back-end of our site before moving forward. This has been slower than we would have liked.

Thanks for checking us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jackojc

Try darkening the background a bit, you want the attention on the visitor focused on the content and not the background, it stands out too much and draws attention

Advertisement