Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you notice about Ireland when you return from abroad?

• 12-09-2012 4:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

I noticed in Ireland that shopkeepers are far more likely to suspect you of being a thief than any other country I have visited.
    Going into some shops in Ireland reminds me of that insurance add where the scumbag pulls up in a car outside a shop and goes in to buy a bottle of soda.
    The two shop keepers are watching him like a hawk while the old granny steals the till!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I notice its still a kip :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The smell of slurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

The potholes and the car going all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

The weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

The heavy atmosphere here, like misery or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

How bleak the whole place is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The rich green grass from the air when coming from the west. It really is 40 shades of green, not grey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

All the junkie zombies walking around Dublin City Center. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I notice how dark O'Connell St. in Dublin is at night compared to other streets in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What a complete ****hole the place is. Even when I was in other **** holes like turkey I came home and thought Ireland was a bigger one. It ranks No.1 in the table of **** holes I have been in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

I also noticed that you're more than likely to be 'put back in your place' or 'to be taken down a peg or two' if ya have any notions of superiority since you've been away.
    Its important to be remined that you're Irish and your back Ireland and to rid yourself of them notions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Weather wise it's very overcast most of the time. BUT, when the sun does peep out on a summers day out in the country, the way the whole place lights up is amazing, especially out in the country where you can really see the effect on the patchwork of fields.

I've lived abroad for 15 years, visited more than 60 countries but I've never seen anything like it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Haha come on its not that bad.

How ugly the women are!! Joke!!

*runs*

Seriously though drug addicts and skanks stand out a mile after being away for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ahlad

CJC999 wrote: »
    What a complete ****hole the place is. Even when I was in other **** holes like turkey I came home and thought Ireland was a bigger one. It ranks No.1 in the table of **** holes I have been in.

Please leave again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I noticed in Ireland that shopkeepers are far more likely to suspect you of being a thief than any other country I have visited.
    Going into some shops in Ireland reminds me of that insurance add where the scumbag pulls up in a car outside a shop and goes in to buy a bottle of soda.
    The two shop keepers are watching him like a hawk while the old granny steals the till!

you've clearly never been in a korean owned grocery store

I was looking forward to coming back to here and all yet I've discovered that it was people I was escaping from and not the country!

Fawking Dump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

How people are more defensive here and are not as open to been approached by strangers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How badly dressed everyone is. But that's fine, because I feel like I fit in.
    The price of beer in supermarkets - I always forget how expensive it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Having to get on a sh1tty Dublin bus in the rain at the airport. No new fangled rail systems for the likes of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Some of the Good,

Music and Culture
    Green Fields,
    Drinkable Tap Water (in most areas),
    The Dedication of the frontline staff in Education, Health, An Garda etc etc to keep going even without proper funding or support from the government.

Ehrrmm...

Ok, Some of the Bad,

The Weather,
    The Pyjama Brigade,
    The State of the Roads,
    Litter,
    Bad Drunken Behaviour,
    Junkies all over Town,
    Crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

why don't you just piss off out of here for good then? We don't need negative pricks like you putting the country down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Many airports and ferry ports........feel free to leave for any of your preferred **** holes any time you want.

Ireland is not a bad place to live. People have freedom speech. Easy access to a good healthcare system - for those that say it isn't good try paying €1000 for a visit to an emergency room in LA. You get a lot for free.
    The social welfare system here is bloody fantastic when compared to many other countries.
    Each and every child has access to an education in Ireland.
    There are many more things that are good about Ireland but as this will be a "lets bash this country and see nothing good in it" I won't bother listing them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

The smell of slurry.
    davet82 wrote: »
    I notice its still a kip :(
    rednik wrote: »
    The potholes and the car going all over the place.
    The weather.
    ghogie91 wrote: »
    The heavy atmosphere here, like misery or something
    neonman wrote: »
    All the junkie zombies walking around Dublin City Center. :o
    I was looking forward to coming back to here and all yet I've discovered that it was people I was escaping from and not the country!

Fawking Dump
    Daveysil15 wrote: »
    How people are more defensive here and are not as open to been approached by strangers.
    Gee Bag wrote: »
    Having to get on a sh1tty Dublin bus in the rain at the airport. No new fangled rail systems for the likes of us.

I noticed the wonderful and positive attitude people have towards life in this country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

Well, who's a bit of a Moaning Michael tonight!?
    ye all are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The whole place is just so fcuking amazing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So why do you keep coming back? Fcuk off to Turkey if you think it's so much better

Seriously.. when I read posts like yours I can only assume that you've never actually visited another country.. or if you did you must have stuck well within the tourist traps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I was going to post what i thought of the place after coming home from a couple of years away.. But after the reaction cjc got,

Id better just say, its lovely to be back among folk who are tolerant of differing opinions :(

Many airports and ferry ports........feel free to leave for any of your preferred **** holes any time you want.

Ireland is not a bad place to live. People have freedom speech. Easy access to a good healthcare system - for those that say it isn't good try paying €1000 for a visit to an emergency room in LA. You get a lot for free.
    The social welfare system here is bloody fantastic when compared to many other countries.
    Each and every child has access to an education in Ireland.
    There are many more things that are good about Ireland but as this will be a "lets bash this country and see nothing good in it" I won't bother listing them. :rolleyes:

''A year in LA was it? Won't be too soon now and we'll sort that out for you?''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The green green grass

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I love it here. The one major thing I did noticed when I came back though is how low the sun stays in the sky during winter when the days are at their shortest. On the upside this means the exceptionally long days in the summer though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Fawking Dump

Same as that. I returned here after a few years in NY. Worst mistake I ever made coming back to this kip.

Boom my feckin arse.

Now im stuck with a house and cant sell it.
    Thank you Bertie for your great advise. Wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Coming back to people incessantly moaning about this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

How comfortable my own bed is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

girls in miniskirts when it's cold...not always a bad thing.
    the amount of taxis......it's deadly.
    the availability of Guinness in every single pub.......magic, only 2 pubs in the city I live in have it and it's overpriced ta fup
    Cheddar cheese in every shop..........a think of beauty
    fish and chips!

junkies, tracksuits, nasty bouncers......not good (duh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

Squ wrote: »
    I was going to post what i thought of the place after coming home from a couple of years away.. But after the reaction cjc got,

Id better just say, its lovely to be back among folk who are tolerant of differing opinions :(

If you have something to say then be a (wo)man and say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Kraftwerk91

The roads are terrible (especially if I've just returned from a trip to the States).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Same as that. I returned here after a few years in NY. Worst mistake I ever made coming back to this kip.

Boom my feckin arse.

So you came back in the hope that the 'boom' would last longer than it did or indeed never end, and because it did the place is a kip? You should have looked up the definition of a boom before committing yourself.

You made your own bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

gsxr1 wrote: »

Boom my feckin arse.

Sorry, but if you trusted Bertie you've only yourself to blame. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Chauncey wrote: »
    If you have something to say then be a (wo)man and say it.

What's wrong with being a woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Going into some shops in Ireland reminds me of that insurance add where the young fella pulls up in a car outside a shop and goes in to buy a bottle of mineral.
    The two shop keepers are watching him like a hawk while the elderly scumbag steals the till!
    FYP. :D

Feck. How long were you away dude?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The over reliance on alcohol when it comes to approaching members of the opposite sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If you can get over the self-flagellating ****wits who moan at every opportunity about the place it's nice to come home from out foreign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Rashers are way better.
    Red lemonade
    Farmers tans
    Travellers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The damp. It's a very damp climate. However out of that we get the green we're rightly famous for.

On the climate, while it rarely gets too hot, it rarely gets too cold too.

The cities are human sized. No huge hi rises and sky scrapers. Feels cosier, more village like.

It's not nearly as crowded as some places, England springs readily to mind. Though this does mean less amenities than some places because of the low pop density.

It doesn't have too many heavy industry type places. In many ways I'm glad the worst of the industrial revolution passed us by.

Its less frenetic than many places, which for me is a good thing. For others maybe not.

One bad one are the non motorway roads and footpaths. They're in a terrible state. Ditto for a lot of public transport.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

I hate everything about this country, only thing good about it is its culture and music. Ill be getting the fcuk out of here as soon as I can! There's nothing in Ireland

Although it is Home.

Are you related to Chuck Feeney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

Gee Bag wrote: »

My advice to anyone bringing anything like this to Commuting &Transport on boards: don't. You'll be lectured on exactly why buses are good enough for the likes of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Irish girls are approachable and good fun. Try chatting up an American bird in a bar and she'll look at you like you're scum or she'll start psycho-analysing you then banging on about where she "is in her life" right now or some such drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I know this is a bit tragic but I always love coming home and getting a decent cup of (Lyons) tea :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement