Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you notice about Ireland when you return from abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

- The accents, they do be fierce strong if you haven't heard one in a while :)
    - Paleness except for the the orangey-tan ladies
    - Blonde haired women, when I left they were a rarity
    - Green, green, green
    - Fresh air and clear skies..can't buy that
    - So many little cars, when I left they were all sedans and some SUVs
    - Number of foreign nationals in Dublin these days
    - Motorways..more than one!
    - Luas in Dublin
    - Sense of humour and easy conversation

Things that haven't changed in a not so good way
    - Bad driving and speeding on country roads
    - Badly lit roads and maintained in poor condition
    - Same amount of junkies as ever on our capital's thoroughfares
    - Crappy trains and buses that pass for public transportation
    - General mistrust of people like me who have messed up accents and strange opinions from living abroad too long :), lack of curiousity in foreign cultures
    - Sense of Ireland being more important and liked and known than it really is in the world
    - Blame culture..always somebody else's fault
    - General attachment to alcohol, drinking and getting off your face at every event = the craic (I like my beer, but the way every event must have alcohol attached to it in Ireland gets ridiculous)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Madam_X wrote: »
    The people who say "It's a sh1t-hole" without putting any thought into it and who are likely to be living very comfortable lives.

Quality of life here, in general, is ridiculously easy.

Irish people, broadly speaking, are friendly - saying we're really hostile is just something that's said for the sake of it.

Room for improvement but just attacking it with one line and feeling all superior is completely disproportionate. Nobody has to like it either though of course.

-Overly defensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

First thing that I noticed on returning home was the awful skanger accent that greats you in and around the airport
    Second thing was how batshit insane the traffic in Dublin is, nobody can drive properly. Just the complete unpredictability of it all is exhausting to drive in

Over the week certainly noticed the general feeling of gloom and depression around the place, that just seems to pervade everything. :(

How not green the countryside actually is compared to where I live. Plenty of shades of brown and grey and yellow when I went hiking in Wicklow but comparatively little green. Not necessarily a bad thing, just strange.

How much better the TV and how less annoying the ads are, they don't all have to have a stupid jingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Coming back from the US and Canada after several years the first thing that use to get me was all the cars parked facing oncoming traffic over here, an offence both countries.

The damp climate and moss growing everywhere.

Coffee was yuck in most restaurants and pubs when I came back but that has improved greatly in recent years thanks to the immigrant population and influx of tourism that couldn't put up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

our beer might be over priced but atleast thge local pub can pull a decent pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Was talking to a lad who is stationed over in Arizona..
    He couldn't believe how dull, grey & miserable Ireland is, a total reflection of the mood of the Irish too.. He was home to see his folks but couldn't wait to hop on the plane away... Doesn't plan to be back for a long time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

its so green and looks good. (compared to the uk anyway)

Parts of the UK might be more apt, like southern England for example, but yes it very green here.

I forgot Traffic Lights in my last post, it is strange when you get back here and the extra Orange is missing (after Red)!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've said it before - we're spoiled in Ireland when it comes to food. It's hilarious - the French are known for their cuisine yet you go to a store to buy milk and it's all UHT. We really do have great food in Ireland - when you go abroad you see just how good our produce is.

The milk and the meat are definitely worth coming/going home for. Everything else is just meh.

Nobody mentioned the redheads? You never notice how many there are until you've been away for a while and come back and every second person seems to be ginger. Red haired women seem really hot an exotic these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

How old my parents are getting
    How lovely it is to be reminded how much your family cares for you and make special efforts to see you
    How my fiancee smiles when she is with her parents and how happy they are to see us
    How friendly people are
    How green it is
    How much more built up it is
    How much I miss it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

How badly dressed everyone is. But that's fine, because I feel like I fit in.
    The price of beer in supermarkets - I always forget how expensive it is.

it depends on the city. outside of dublin its possible to spend an entire weekend in a town and not see a single tracksuit.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it depends on the city. outside of dublin its possible to spend an entire weekend in a town and not see a single tracksuit.

I'm sure it is, it's just the things I notice when I come back - hoodies, tracksuits, football shirts and that's just the girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Same as that. I returned here after a few years in NY. Worst mistake I ever made coming back to this kip.

Boom my feckin arse.

Now im stuck with a house and cant sell it.
    Thank you Bertie for your great advise. Wanker.
    We were doing fine untill you lot showed up and started gasumpting prices. Just because you saw we were getting on fine without you. You were suposed to haggle, not offer 50 grand more than the asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

The worst drivers in the world but the nicest people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Long bright summer days, bright from 4am to after 11 pm and proper tae and women with real boobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

millie35 wrote: »

you have obviously never been to Italy!? They are nuts on the roads over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

First thing I notice is state of the cars in Ireland. Third world cars as compared to other countries.

Track suits in Dublin Airport.

The tractor and trailer that takes the cases 40 feet from the Aer Arann plane to the "arrivals" area in Galway airport.

The radio ads are so sh1te and the news is always depressing.

The cold air!

Why there is so much emphasis on the Late Late Show

Peoples apathy towards politicians, bankers and the government being so bad!

No shopping bags

How great an Irish fry tastes!

Brennans Bread dairygold sambo with cheese and tayto crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

less bangers on the roads (than in NZ)...the last time I was home I didn't see one car as sh1t as mine the whole time we were there

everyone complaining about how broke they are yet still going away for weekends to London/Europe/New York, having nights out etc

the pub atmosphere can't be beaten...and the sheer number of pubs!

tanorexia...weird and just wrong...can they not see how ridiculous they look??

the coffee is dreadful but the tea is divine

the socially acceptable level of drunkenness is dramatically higher than anywhere else in the world I've ever been

people (in Dublin) are a lot better and more carefully dressed and groomed (than here in rural New Zealand)

the variety of cuisine at all budgets

homelessness, and the callous attitude that you can't really help but adopt to it

the way the houses seem to be all crammed together with fcuk all gardens

black and white pudding

the banter and slagging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

dclane wrote: »
    First thing I notice is state of the cars in Ireland. Third world cars as compared to other countries.

The type of car or the state they are in? Since the NCT has been introduced there seems to be very few bangers driving around on the streets compared to other countries imo.

Thing I notice most is the junkies in O'Connell St. Never seen such an obvious drug problem in a such a prominent area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

when you have been away for two or three years at a time and you fly back into Ireland - the first thing that hits me is the accent of your man on the intercom in Dublin or Shannon Airport. It sounds SOOO weird.

I think this is what american movie actors base their "irish accent" on. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I know this sounds odd, but it seems like the sky is lower and the buildings closer together. Almost like I grew a bit taller while I was away.

Everyone seems so relaxed.

When you pull up to a shop on the way back from the airport, it seems cute and welcoming, luring you in to buy a pot noodle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Rasmus wrote: »

When you pull up to a shop on the way back from the airport, it seems cute and welcoming, luring you in to buy a pot noodle.

hahaha a pot noodle? whatttttt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

..in the fields.
    constant misty rain
    Men in dark colours all the time.
    Grumpy women
    Bilingual road signs.
    Bad news all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

Italian drivers are fast, fairly manic and quite scary but at least they are predictable.

Irish drivers :
    Hog the outside lane of motorways
    take a casual attitude to traffic lights
    never let other drivers out if they can help it but will perform an emergency stop to let a jaywalker cross the road
    don't know how to go round a roundabout
    forget to use their indicators etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Italian drivers are fast, fairly manic and quite scary but at least they are predictable.

Irish drivers :
    never let other drivers out if they can help it but will perform an emergency stop to let a jaywalker cross the road

You've obviously never driven in Portugal, rush hour in Lisbon anyone? Now that's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I spent a few months away and when coming back, I left the warm modern metropolis of Shanghai airport, and 20 hours later arrived back in Dublin - not even a skybridge....we got out of the plan onto the old uneven tarmac in the pouring rain and there in front of us was a big stack of beer kegs. No joke.

"I'm home", I thought to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

So you are a bad driver, oh wait let me guess you are the best driver in Ireland every other driver doesn't have a clue :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Easy access to a good healthcare system - for those that say it isn't good try paying €1000 for a visit to an emergency room in LA. You get a lot for free.
    The social welfare system here is bloody fantastic when compared to many other countries.

You don't have to pay €1000 euro for hospital in LA if you have insurance.

Maybe people would be able to get good health insurance if they are not taxed into the stone-age to pay for your bloody fantastic social welfare system.

Irish drivers :

thats nothing compared to palermo. Try that, and you will think the irish are fab drivers.

I'm sure it is, it's just the things I notice when I come back - hoodies, tracksuits, football shirts and that's just the girls.

I studied abroad and wore a GAA jersey into college once. never again. I was looked upon by the students themselves as something unpleasant. maybe such attire should be reserved for the home or playing sport.

only in Dublin have I seen Pyjamas on the streets.

Cailini-whats with wearing winter ugg boots in the middle of summer?

I found it odd when I came to Ireland on holidays how the guys were uniformly dressed. a stripey shirt worn outside the trousers is mandatory in this country when going out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

'Stand Clear, Luggage Doors Operate', on the Bus Eireann trip after landing in Dublin. Now that's unique :)

Many airports and ferry ports........feel free to leave for any of your preferred **** holes any time you want.

Ireland is not a bad place to live. People have freedom speech. Easy access to a good healthcare system - for those that say it isn't good try paying €1000 for a visit to an emergency room in LA. You get a lot for free.
    The social welfare system here is bloody fantastic when compared to many other countries.
    Each and every child has access to an education in Ireland.
    There are many more things that are good about Ireland but as this will be a "lets bash this country and see nothing good in it" I won't bother listing them. :rolleyes:

I would love for you to explain how you come to this conclusions. :D

I spent a while in the USA - I paid 5 dollars every time I needed emergency room, operations, etc. I had health insurance.

I think you may be a bit confused.

The absence of police in towns and open the roads is striking in this country.

if they do actually stop you you will get away with a lot more than in other countries. you can actually argue with them and get away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

thats nothing compared to palermo. Try that, and you will think the irish are fab drivers.

Can you all stop placename dropping!

'Stand Clear, Luggage Doors Operate', on the Bus Eireann trip after landing in Dublin. Now that's unique :)

no country in Europe is as health and safety conscious as Ireland. it could be linked with the compo culture where you make a claim over nothing and get awarded a ridiculously high amount of cash.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Sure thing, Brazil.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    in this country an amber light changing to red means step on the gas and hope to make it through without an accident.
    Is it America you are referring to ;)

The roads are terrible (especially if I've just returned from a trip to the States).

motorways here are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The auld darkness and dampness, the scrapin and scrawlin and twisty auld windy roads and the misery, jaysus the misery and the wind and rain and dankness, and the cold wind and the bitterness and begrudgery...... ahh it's a great place. Best country in Ireland.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

have a look at your username pet, :D:D

Plazaman wrote: »
    The auld darkness and dampness, the scrapin and scrawlin and twisty auld windy roads and the misery, jaysus the misery and the wind and rain and dankness, and the cold wind and the bitterness and begrudgery...... ahh it's a great place. Best country in Ireland.

Also I think begrudgers is bantered around these boards wrongly in a lot of cases.

People who go away, or come back - its the first word out of their mouth - "oh the begrudgers of the Irish".

Lots of times it's not begrudgers at all - its just setting the record straight.

For instance, about ten years ago I had a friend coming home from N. America for "vacation" - he had been there a couple of years. Met up with him and asked him how he was doing . He said he was top Salesman in the "Retail Industry". Cue a few people going "wow" "o my god, thats wonderful" etc. Until I asked him what did it entail - he was actually a shop assistant in a department store who had recently gotten employee of the month for being "good". Now anyone that HAS worked overseas knows that employee of the month is only there to keep your loyalty up.

Of course he would call people "begrudgers" because they had a laugh and what he had said, when in fact if he had just said he worked in a dept store nobody would have batted an eyelid.

So......is it begrudgers or are we just good at seeing through the sh*te"

Remember, N. Americans have bigger words and phrases for the most minute job. Nobody will ever admit to being a bin man, a fast food worker, an cleaner - they will always put a spin on it to big it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

dclane wrote: »
    Brennans Bread dairygold sambo with cheese and tayto crisps.

And the fact that you can actually say Sambo and not get hammered for being a racist :D

Overweight, over paid politicians.

LordSutch wrote: »
    And the fact that you can actually say Sambo and not get hammered for being a racist :D

I got pulled on that a couple of weeks ago. Mentioned the word and got asked why was I using that word. I had no idea what they were on about. Seemingly its a racist word in other countries - however in Ireland it means Sandwich and thats all it means. In Australia also. People will have to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LaminatorSGL

Everything is 'meh'. I don't love or hate anything when I return it seems.

Meh weather. Meh attitude. Meh TV.

Quality fry and tea is stunning though.

Plazaman wrote: »

in Ireland there are no problems, only solutions. you do not like the wetness go out and buy a decent rainjacket. the amount of people walking around in heavy rain with no jacket or umbrella. also invest in a pair of waterproof shoes. there is nothing worse than going to work with wet socks all day.

Overweight, over paid politicians.

not our Inda, who climbs mountains and cycles the ring of kerry. no pint swilling for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

have a look at your username pet, :D:D

I've never been to Brazil, I'm named after a bikini range, believe it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

One thing that stands out for me is the nightlife. The clubs are generally crap here compared to most places I have been to. Over priced, crap music, people getting plastered and spilling beer on each other. Clubs in other European cities just seem to have more class about them.

The Irish sense of humour however is the best in the world. We know how to have a laugh. The food is also great here. I always miss the food when I am abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

The negativity in the media, the last time I came back home from abroad, within minutes you could hear continous negative reporting about the economy on the radio, T.V. etc.

Manipulating the facts aswell so as to make it seem were in a worse position than we actually are, e.g. 1/4 businesses were turned down for credit last year instead of 3/4 of businesses acquired credit.

Never hear as much negativity from the media when I'm abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    One thing that stands out for me is the nightlife. The clubs are generally crap here compared to most places I have been to. Over priced, crap music, people getting plastered and spilling beer on each other. Clubs in other European cities just seem to have more class about them.

The Irish sense of humour however is the best in the world. We know how to have a laugh. The food is also great here. I always miss the food when I am abroad.

Maybe you think The Irish sense of humour is the best because you grew up with it. Perhaps if you grew up with Bolivian sense of humour you would think its the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement