Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you notice about Ireland when you return from abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EclipsiumRasa

People here don't run their car batteries down to use indicators.

<50% of drivers obey the rules of the road when they're at roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Quorum wrote: »
    I read this as "banter with skangers". :)

So did I :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

fückin Immersion heaters !

What fückin muppet invented them?? Is it written in the constitution that these are the only ways of heating water in Ireland ?

Thankfully you escape from their clutches when abroad. Well, I've never seen one in the past 12 years away except when back home.

i bet you forgot to turn off the immersion. no sin or f up there is greater.

People here don't run their car batteries down to use indicators.

<50% of drivers obey the rules of the road when they're at roundabouts.

a lot of drivers got their licence without having to go around one. a lot or people live in areas where there are none so its an experience when they encounter one. it does not help that the turn offs are very often only on the actual exits and and if you do no know where you are going this can be awkward.

In what other country in the world do people at crisps with a salad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Fuinseog wrote: »

I've never seen anyone do that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

I presume you meant "ate" instead of "at", as in for example: "Sure Mossy I'm only after ate-ing those Tayto" or some other such bogmonkey-shpiel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Where are you guys living that you don't see immersion heaters??? Try coming to France, where the immersion heater is King. Some people have two, even three, and they're sold as a special offer almost every couple of weeks by the diy sheds. I agree they're one of the most stupid inventions ever - but I'm stuck with one (for now) while my sisters and brother in Dublin have beautiful gas-fired always-on hot water boilers.

Worst of all in France, when you trace it back to the source, your immersion is nuclear powered!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

s20101938 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Fuinseog
    I presume you meant "ate" instead of "at", as in for example: "Sure Mossy I'm only after ate-ing those Tayto" or some other such bogmonkey-shpiel...

He could just as easily have meant eat; the e would just go at the beginning rather than the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Real Life wrote: »
    As a man i would say that is true. Apart from me im an exception. I must have some spanish or italian in my genes.

Same as bro its good being from the west where the spanish crashed of the coast and were friendly with our women :pac:

• Advertisement

Quorum wrote: »
    I've never seen anyone do that. :confused:

you havent lived. supermacs will serve a roll with sidesalad and crips.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

How delicious Club Orange and Tayto Cheese and Onion are when you're on the way home from Knock Airport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Ireland has some tasty junk foods, not as good as the states though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

The crisp taste of a pint of a Guinness, the community spirit, the silence in the pub during a song, the stopping of cars on a country road for a chat, Sharon Ni Bheolán, the courtousy we show to our fellow man, our ability to see through bullshít, a lock in, our extremely dark humour, Tayto, the long stretch in the evening, the 24 hr availablilty of a cup of tea in any household, the Ocean crashing against the western shore, the unforgetten cruel history & the craic.

The roads arent that bad just take it handy on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

s20101938 wrote: »

Its more likely that the typo is a missing 'e' before rather than after the 'at'.

I assume the post meant crisps with salad and a sandwich? I would have thought that is common everywhere?

I have never seen crisps just with a salad.

you havent lived. supermacs will serve a roll with sidesalad and crips.

That's a fast food joint though, you're never going to see people eating healthily in a place like that. Hardly representative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

weather
    how green Dublin is
    knackers
    fat kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

fückin Immersion heaters !

What fückin muppet invented them?? Is it written in the constitution that these are the only ways of heating water in Ireland ?

Thankfully you escape from their clutches when abroad. Well, I've never seen one in the past 12 years away except when back home.

They're bloody horrific! Thankfully a lot of German houses just have normal heating. I actually don't know how my apartment's heated (heating is included in the rent), but all I need to do for hot water is turn on the tap. F*cking love it.

Then when I visit home I'm given out to for spending more than 5 minutes in the shower because I'm wasting the hot water. Peasants.

I hate adding a negative point to this thread but....the length of time it takes to get your luggage back in Dublin Airport. 45 mins I waited last night :mad:

For balance:
    How someone always thinks to leave bread and milk for you on your return :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I hate adding a negative point to this thread but....the length of time it takes to get your luggage back in Dublin Airport. 45 mins I waited last night :mad:

Most of that is time spent rummaging for something to rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

The smell of rain. I dunno what it is but there tends to be a nice damp smell that rises after some rain. I love it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rainbows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Seaweed.

Thinly veiled "Look at me, I'm a jetsetter" comment. :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 29 road_hog

how nosey irish people are but also how casually friendly they are

Dublin airport is probably one of the most badly organised and laid out airports in the world. I avoid it if at all possible. It spoils most holidays.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Speaking of which, I just noticed a brand new terminal building last time.

Actually I don't mind Dublin Airport at all. Just the wait for the luggage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 plumbball

Pub, they are taking a hammering now, but Irish pubs are still the best in the world.

• Advertisement

Jellicoe wrote: »
    Dublin airport is probably one of the most badly organised and laid out airports in the world. I avoid it if at all possible. It spoils most holidays.

the security staff are a joke. heaviest Dublin accents ever and they only half search you. at least you do not have to show your passport entering the country. it still suffices to wave the cover of the passport.
    there are no signs explaining that Dublin Bus does not take bank notes or give change and that any questions will be met with grumpiness.Taxi drivers on the rank are best avoided. they do not appreciate a fare less than 20 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I remember walking to Pier D in Dublin airport

I thought I was in Co Meath by the time I got there!

plumbball wrote: »
    Pub, they are taking a hammering now, but Irish pubs are still the best in the world.

Irish pubs abroad are different and do have a certain ambiance although very often more expensive than native pubs.

In Ireland pubs are overrated and overpriced.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I remember walking to Pier D in Dublin airport

I thought I was in Co Meath by the time I got there!

sure tis grand exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Yeah not to mention how exclusive the clubs are here. Take the wright venue for example. Full of posers and wannabe celebs who just want to get their photo taken for the facebook page. The mentality that you're only looking for a shag when you try to strike up a conversation with someone.
    Isn't this the in any country, especially clubs?

eth0 wrote: »
    Most of that is time spent rummaging for something to rob

thats only with the Spanish flights(extra cigarettes, if you have too many you are not going to complain) and the American flights.
    not sure if things have changed but baggage staff used to be checked going into work but never leaving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The amont of random violence in the country.every night out i've had when i've visited i've seen radom fights,people getting glassed etc.

Also how good looking,friendly and funny irish women are.relative to their european counterparts who have the personality of a glass of water they're a breath of fresh air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 plumbball

Irish pubs abroad are different and do have a certain ambiance although very often more expensive than native pubs.

I agree with the overpriced bit, but there is still a certain atmosphere in Irish pubs that you don't get in foreign pubs.

490 a pint of lager in my local that is actually a lower price then before the bust. 520 I think.

Speaking of which, I just noticed a brand new terminal building last time.

Oh yeah, the one where you check in on one floor, to go to security on another floor, and back to another floor to the gates. lol a complete mess, but sure the cronies made lots of money on it, and sure thats all that matters.

smurgen wrote: »
    The amont of random violence in the country.every night out i've had when i've visited i've seen radom fights,people getting glassed etc.

why is that?
    I notice its usual to go up to complete stranger and 'slag' them to the point of looking for a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Jellicoe wrote: »

the security staff are a joke. heaviest Dublin accents ever and they only half search you. at least you do not have to show your passport entering the country. it still suffices to wave the cover of the passport.

Dublin airport is grand,threw security in only a few mins like it should be.i recently flew from london to Boston logan and the border control was a joke!1 guy on duty to check all passangers on our flight.he scanned each of our hands, took our photo and asked us why were coming and where we were staying.2 1/2 hrs in the queue after landing.it was so bad that i sent emails to airport management and serioulsy put me off flying to the east coast on holidays again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I find it very hard to find a real ould fella pub and pubs with GOOD live music.
    More often than not they're plastered with fake 'memorabilia' and music you can't be heard over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

The sliced pan/brown bread with kerrygold and a mug of (Barry's) tea.

Everyone raising a finger to salute you as you drive past.

The neighbours coming to visit because the wanderer has returned.

Midwest radio death announcements and how they are uniquely Irish.

Friendly bus drivers.

Abandoned housing estates.

How much it rains and how much people discuss at length the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Pace of life seems less....but I think thats because when you return theres a good chance you're returning from a big city...where motorways / shops / streets are generally busier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

there are no signs explaining that Dublin Bus does not take bank notes or give change and that any questions will be met with grumpiness.Taxi drivers on the rank are best avoided. they do not appreciate a fare less than 20 euro.

So?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

How judgemental we are on other people's appearance / clothes or whatever else. I came through dublin airport twice during the summer,once from new york, once from Ibiza - two very liberal places where no one gives two flying fcuks what you look like etc, because chances are theres someone weirder ten yards behind you.

Dublin airport....looked up and down by neanderthal in the place. (and I was dressed perfectly normal - just seems natural for people here to have a gawk at ye)

Look at the boards threads. If you wear x or do y, youre a knacker/skanger/hipster/ghey/poser/slut bla bla bla....why care??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I love the feeling of decompression I get when I hit the M50 roundabout, after leaving the long term car park - it's like slipping on a comfy pair of old, familiar shoes. My usual thought is
    " It's good to be home".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm leaving New Plymouth in 3 hours to fly home. I can already heard the "howaya bud" being screamed by some knacker at the airport :(
    /shudders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Sometimes nice pleasant surprises and sometimes oh fcuk ,it's groundhog day all over again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Whenever I return to Ireland the first thing I notice is how green it is. Whenever I have been flying in during daylight I always hear a gasp from people when the plane goes through the clouds (it's always bloody cloudy!) and they can see how gorgeous it is.

I also notice:
    • How much people curse
    • How much people drink
    • How laid back everyone is
    • How crap the weather is
    • How friendly everyone is

I don't think I could ever live there again, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

1. Its Dublin Airport

2. Thats an old joke, but its stricter now, as is every other bloody airport.

3. thats something you learn once, and just know. you must be a right muppet if you think a bus has change for a €50. you're problem, not dublin bus's.

4. ill agree about the taxi's though... :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement