Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you notice about Ireland when you return from abroad?

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Big engined motorcycles are few and far between on Irish roads!

Must be the high insurance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I always notice after being away for a while how centralised everything is here politically. Local government isn't worth a damn here and local councils have little or no power.

Government ministers in Ireland spend far too much time dealing with micro matters rather than concentrating on their departments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Faith+1 wrote: »
    How old are you??:eek:

I'm going to go out on limb here and say he's almost 70?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Lapin wrote: »
    Government ministers in Ireland spend far too much time dealing with micro matters rather than concentrating on their departments.

Well if you're not happy about it contact your own local TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The best thing and the worst thing about Ireland is the people. I've never been in a country where I have met so many fantastic people or so many ****. Other countries seem to have less of both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Solair wrote: »

The food these days is a lot better and more varied than than most of the continental countries I've been to. It's certainly as good as you'll get in London or parts of the US.

Not a chance.... there are only a couple of places in the world where the food is as varied or as good as London and Ireland certainly isn't one of them. There are a lot of fantastic things about Ireland but food imo is not one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Milk is not ****...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Playboy wrote: »
    Not a chance.... there are only a couple of places in the world where the food is as varied or as good as London and Ireland certainly isn't one of them. There are a lot of fantastic things about Ireland but food imo is not one of them

I disagree with you but I also disagree with the guy you were quoting. I was in London a few weeks ago and the cultural diversity is amazing with a myriad of cuisines to choose from. London probably is the best of the best. With New York a close second. That said I dont think Dublin is very far behind compared to other capital cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

syklops wrote: »
    I disagree with you but I also disagree with the guy you were quoting. I was in London a few weeks ago and the cultural diversity is amazing with a myriad of cuisines to choose from. London probably is the best of the best. With New York a close second. That said I dont think Dublin is very far behind compared to other capital cities.

Some of the worst restaurants I have ever eaten in were in London. Anywhere which is a tourist trap will be crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Some of the worst restaurants I have ever eaten in were in London. Anywhere which is a tourist trap will be crap.

In such a large city, there's always going to be crap restaurants, and if you don't know the good ones, it's easy to find the bad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think the service and restaurants in general are great in Dublin. I hate how wine is such a f**king rip off though when you eat out, never been anywhere where it's more expensive.

In such a large city, there's always going to be crap restaurants, and if you don't know the good ones, it's easy to find the bad.

Well I worked there for a year - although I didn't live there full time, I did midweek. Whenever I went to "good" restaurants they were either booked in advance and over-busy or we queued. Sometimes for an hour. With some exceptions I found walk in restaurants atrocious and unfriendly. When it comes to tourist areas, repeating customers don't matter so much or at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Butter is good
    Milk is good
    Meat is good
    the bread is better (in terms of where you were i.e America)
    Not everything needs a high amount of sugar to be consumable
    The people aren't as Vanilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I also noticed that you're more than likely to be 'put back in your place' or 'to be taken down a peg or two' if ya have any notions of superiority since you've been away.
    Its important to be remined that you're Irish and your back Ireland and to rid yourself of them notions.

Probably because once you came back all you did was bore everyone with tales of how ****e Ireland is compared to wherever you'd been. And why would anyone have any notions of superiority just because they'd been abroad?

The real story about Ireland is that it is an average first world country. Which makes it one of the worlds best countries, of course.

Advertisement