Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 70.3 2012 to Dublin Marathon 2012

Options
  • 12-09-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Greetings - looking for advice .......... am a middle of the pack forty something coming from 5 years of a triathlon mid life crisis(from novice sprint to 3 HIM's in the last 14 months using Olympic distance as training races).

At the begining of the run in the Galway 70.3 where my quads / hamstrings were so tight and cramped after a good bike I had the mad idea of thinking if I can run 21.1km's with legs in this state I can run the Dublin marathon from fresh ...........

Now I have entered the marathon there seems no going back, I have already picked up a small injury (calf muscle) probably coming back too soon after Galway ........ 1 x 15km (no bother), 1 x 10km (twinged the calf after 6.5km).

How should I start building the run's - my thinking is to run 3 times a week and get to 30km's a couple of time over the next 6 weeks - I want to finish in around 3hrs 55 mins - 3hrs 59mins 59 seconds ......... does that make any sense (I'm just over the 2 hrs for a HIM run section)

Should I have a plan or can I wing it ........... just go out running with the aim of running upto 30km's a couple of time in the next few weeks before hand and then turning up on the day after a short(ish)taper ?

I'm assuming there would be a good few out there that has taken this on ??

Any advice gladly taken - HELP (yes first and last marathon)!!

Thanks
    Frazzledazzle

Comments

Advertisement