Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars broken in to....

Options
  • 12-09-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering has anyone heard incidents of cars being broken into in the Phoenix Park recently? Was down for a kick-about with friends this week and 3 of our cars were broken in to. Not one alarm went off!!! Phones/wallets even clothes taken. Very annoying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

never leave anything in view.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

all items taken from our boots, glove compartments! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thats pretty crap, were they parked off the beaten track ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Doesn't matter where your car is if stuff is left in it will be taken there are people watching anything and everything.

I've seen these guys going around town on push bike's and looking in at cars they don't care if anyone is around.

Things are only going to get worse nothing is safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

so much for my theory:confused:

what part were you in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

We were down by the football pitches on Acres Road (just past the papal cross towards the Chapelizod Gate). It's the sheer brazen nature of it that gets me. We couldn't have been more than 200m away and yet they did 3 cars in. The whole thing is annoying and baffling at the same time. No alarms? Not even one? If it was one car I'd say, 'ah you must have forgot to set it!' but not 3 cars.

Some of the lads hadn't got their iphones etc insured so it's just annoying more than anything else.

Footy101 wrote: »
    We were down by the football pitches on Acres Road (just past the papal cross towards the Chapelizod Gate). It's the sheer brazen nature of it that gets me. We couldn't have been more than 200m away and yet they did 3 cars in. The whole thing is annoying and baffling at the same time. No alarms? Not even one? If it was one car I'd say, 'ah you must have forgot to set it!' but not 3 cars.

Some of the lads hadn't got their iphones etc insured so it's just annoying more than anything else.

On cars that the alarm system is conected to the indicators can have a thing done to knock off alarm wont say how as not good to know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

never leave anything in view.
    Good advice. It's not going to stop every crime but it will make you less likely to be a victim. Not much else you can do really, have a nice hiding spot in your car if you absolutely have to store something whilst you are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

they just assume that there are valuables in the cars as where else are you going to keep them when playing football?

• Advertisement

they just assume that there are valuables in the cars as where else are you going to keep them when playing football?

Group them in a bag and keep them in sight beside the goal posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Same happened to our crowd while we were training on the pitches to the west of the magazine fort. The following week we spotted a UK reg jeep pulling in and then leaving after one of our lads walked over. The pulling in and out happened twice so there was definitely something fishy going on. We didn't get a picture though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you reported it to the Guards so at least they can keep an eye out for a similar vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Crime, and more specifically theft from car's is rampant in the Phoenix Park.

In work we're use the army grounds regularly (close to the polo grounds, criket grounds and zoo) and would never leave car's parked there without security, if I did I'd fully expect it to be broken into.

Have you reported it to the Guards so at least they can keep an eye out for a similar vehicle?

Yep. AGS were called but were taking too long with the lads getting cold so I went home (on bike) and the drivers went to station. This was after the robbery. I don't think anyone rang AGS regarding the suspicious car. I wasn't going to do it myself since I didn't actually witness the car myself - only the manager walking to the carpark and the grey jeep leaving.

We're an Irish language GAA club and I heard later that they tried to report it through Irish at the station. The Gárda at the desk though they were taking the mickey at first. They did find Irish forms and a speaker, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Yep. AGS were called but were taking too long with the lads getting cold so I went home (on bike) and the drivers went to station. This was after the robbery. I don't think anyone rang AGS regarding the suspicious car. I wasn't going to do it myself since I didn't actually witness the car myself - only the manager walking to the carpark and the grey jeep leaving.

We're an Irish language GAA club and I heard later that they tried to report it through Irish at the station. The Gárda at the desk though they were taking the mickey at first. They did find Irish forms and a speaker, apparently.

Why didn't they just report it in english? Would have been quicker for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

After getting my car broken into at a beach in Meath before I've taken to leaving NOTHING in the car and leaving the glove compartment open and the boot cover off so that anybody who even considers breaking into it will see there's nothing in it. I walk my dogs every day on the beach so am not going to change my routine to suit scumbags.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

My friends car was broken into there recently on Army Rd, They got the boot opened and took her bag..

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gorrillafrier

Same thing happened with our football team a few weeks ago in same car park, almost identical incident, 3 cars broken into , phones and even clothes taken . One car alarm went off which alerted us and they swiftly left. They appeared to be a gang and were clinical.

In hindsight , we realised we were being watched while we were leaving our stuff in the car so even though it was out of sight, they still knew where to get it.

Very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I'm a member of civil service harriers and a lot of cars have been broken into over the years on Army Road, It's as if they are hiding somewhere near a they pounce as soon as your head is turned..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Some people are asking for trouble, I train everyday in the park and I see loads of car owners leaving valuables in clear view in there cars. I was up watching the Frank Duffy 10miler and the amount of idiots leaving there keys at the back wheel of the cars, if I was that way inclined I could have had a pick of about 20 cars. A bit of common sense and you should be grand as there are plenty of people without any and thiefs are opportunistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Amazing how the hq of the Gardaí is only a stones throw away and yet these offences can still happen on a regular basis.

CCTV would need to be installed and a sting operation with a cop or 2 in a van with tools and wait very simple catch them

CCTV would need to be installed and a sting operation with a cop or 2 in a van with tools and wait very simple catch them

The same spot might get hit 3-4 times per year if you are lucky. Bit of a waste of resources having a van ready waiting for a crime to happen.
    Amazing how the hq of the Gardaí is only a stones throw away and yet these offences can still happen on a regular basis.

Its the headquarters and not a station. Even still I don't know why you would expect the area around a station to be immune from crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

A good security tip is- these scumbags will look at your windshield for the little ring of residue left by the suction cup of a sat nav. If they see that they'll know that there's at least a sat nav in the car which will make it worth their while smashing the window. Try to wipe the ring with your sleeve before leaving your car.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Why didn't they just report it in english? Would have been quicker for everyone involved.

It was an Irish Language football team interacting with agents of a state whose first official language, at least nominally, is Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It was an Irish Language football team interacting with agents of a state whose first official language, at least nominally, is Irish.
    That's what we all need at a time of fewer garda resources, someone going out of their way to be awkward when they know full well it will cause hassle for the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

WTF is that anyway? A gang of lads who shout to each other as Gaeilge when they are playing football - do they go to the pub later and ask for 'pionta Guinness, más é do thoil é'?

During the match:

'Domsa! Domsa!'

'Tabhair aire do do theach!'

Back at the car:

'Jaysus, all me gear is gone!'

'Mind your car!'

'Fup off!'

And btw, it was actually individuals interacting with the agents of state - unless the team all spoke in unison.

I'm thinking of joining a Russian Language chess club - after I learn the Russian for 'Check' and Checkmate' :)

OT: If this crime is as common as it seems in this location, I am surprised that the gang responsible haven't been caught already. By a hurling team....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

................................,-~*`¯ll... .....
    ...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................
    ......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................
    ..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\... ..................................
    ................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................
    ................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................
    .................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................
    ...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................
    .....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................
    .....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................
    .................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.......................... ...
    ...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,........... .........
    ...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............
    .................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,
    .................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........
    ..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........
    ......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........
    ........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Happened to us a few weeks ago. Two cars done, they used a hammer and screwdriver and tapped in along side the door lock/barrel to open door. Glove box and back seats pulled forward and stuff taken. There was no valuables left in sight prior to incident.

I seen the lads pull up and walked quickly back to the car but they sped off and damage was already done.

Red ford mondeo , late 90's reg. There was children in the car. Gardai came down after incident and said they were tr.....ers from nearby.

Advertisement