Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars broken in to....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

my brothers car was brokin into in chapalizod last week assell,he has it parked in an underground carpark in his apartment complex,another car was done at same time!they even went and robbed all the cctv equipment while they were at it,the guards got forensics to take finger prints and all because they said they think its just one gang doing an absolute load of the robberies in and around that area!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Esel wrote: »
    WTF is that anyway? A gang of lads who shout to each other as Gaeilge when they are playing football - do they go to the pub later and ask for 'pionta Guinness, más é do thoil é'?

During the match:

'Domsa! Domsa!'

'Tabhair aire do do theach!'

Back at the car:

'Jaysus, all me gear is gone!'

'Mind your car!'

'Fup off!'

What exactly motivated that post of yours? I mean, did you see "Irish Language" written and felt the need to have a go? It's pathetic, really.

This thread is about stuff being stolen. I posted some useful info about where we were hit and provided some context. What is the point just coming in to rant about Irish speakers in a thread that has nothing to do with it? Does Irish bring back too many bad memories or something that you just can't help yourself?

If you don't like Irish, fair enough, but jeez man, you need to let it go and move on. Did you really not know what an Irish Language football team was? There are loads of them around the country. Try parsing the words together if you're still confused.

It's not that hard.
    Esel wrote: »
    And btw, it was actually individuals interacting with the agents of state - unless the team all spoke in unison.

I'll be pedantic here and call you on your poor grasp of the English language.

A collective can interact with another entity without all members of that collective interacting in unison. To fail to realise that is pretty dumb. Governments perform tasks as a collective all the time and it's even written about in papers and on the internet so I'm not sure how you missed it.

Anyway, I hope you get over that Irish teacher of yours.

hmmm wrote: »
    That's what we all need at a time of fewer garda resources, someone going out of their way to be awkward when they know full well it will cause hassle for the Guards.

Save it for another thread.

This is about stuff being stolen in the park. If you really want to have a go at the Irish language, there are plenty of other threads available to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's not exactly rocket science - the scumbag thieves don't need to see people put valuables in the boot/glovebox/under seats.

Think about it, a group of people head to the park after work to walk/run/play ballgames. Chances of laptops, wallets, handbags etc being left in the cars is pretty high.

If possible avoid leaving valuables in the cars. Bring a small moneybelt/backpack and bring it with you. For team stuff maybe consider a holdall that people put all their valuables in and have someone watch it. This could potentially become a target though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bassfish wrote: »
    A good security tip is- these scumbags will look at your windshield for the little ring of residue left by the suction cup of a sat nav. If they see that they'll know that there's at least a sat nav in the car which will make it worth their while smashing the window. Try to wipe the ring with your sleeve before leaving your car.

That's a great idea. :)

If I am going somewhere where that I don't want to carry my stuff with me, I stash it away in the boot BEFORE I set out. If you arrive at a popular recreation spot and you then spend 5 minutes obviously stashing stuff under car seats/glove compartment, or opening the boot and obviously putting handbags, back packs etc into it, you are just asking for trouble, especially if there are scum bags watching cars arrive, which there very often are. :(

When I was getting my spare tire replaced recently, the mechanic rejigged the space so that I can stash stuff in there other than just a tire. He did it in a way that I can access the space without making the boot floor covering look as if it has been tampered with, & there may be stuff stored in there. He came up with the idea after his sisters car kept getting broken into when she went for a run after work.

I also only buy track suit tops that have pockets with zippers on them. That way I can carry a wallet or a car key or a phone without worrying about them falling out while I run/walk. It gets tied around my waist if it gets too warm. Not a fan of the fanny pack. That is blatantly advertising that you have valuables on your person & where they are. At least people can't see into your pockets.

Oh the things that you have to do to protect your own property ! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Irish

when it became clear that it was a bit of a problem to make the complaint through irish it would have been much easier for you to speak english.

you deliberately chose to be awkward to make some silly point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

mcmoustache - If you have a problem with a post use the Report Post function & quit the back-seat modding.

Back on-topic please.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

I live in Islandbridge and there has been a couple of robberies from cars here in the past few weeks, the whole area around here seems to be gone very bad for it.

One very good story though - was watching TV in the apartment about three weeks ago and heard some dogs barking loudly outside and some commotion. Looked out to see three Garda cars and the Dog Unit. Seems some scumbag slipped in through the automatic gates to rob a car or two and was spotted in there doing the business by a resident. They left straight away and called the Guards. What the genuis didn't realise is that you need a key to open the doors/gates to get out. Five minutes later, Guards down and let two less than friendly Alsatians through the gate, couple more minutes, little runt of a scumbag in the bag of a van.

My car was hit the following week in the surface level car park along with two others side by side. Nothing really in the car at all but smashed window cost a few euro to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What exactly motivated that post of yours?

Blah blah condescending blah.

Blah pedantic dialectic blah.

Blah rant blah.
    This is my only reply to this callaireacht bómánta (that's stupid rant for the rest of you... - although I might be corrected on that by the collective unconscious).

I have pretty good Irish actually; I love the language; I use it often; and I have a good collection of literature and dictionaries. I never had a really bad Irish teacher either. My father and uncle had great Irish, and I was always able to ask my father the correct way to say something if I needed to. I have been able to pass on my love of the Language to my children - so much so that my daughter now has much better Irish than me (Third Level). Now she had some bad teachers along the way.

However, I wouldn't ever dream of using Irish to report a theft (or anything worth reporting) to AGS or if calling the other Emergency Services - except if I was in the Gaeltacht at the time, and then only maybe. I pick my windmills in life. Maybe the peer pressure got to you (collectively) when you got to the stáisiún.

I admire and commend your interest in, commitment to, and love of the language, although I do question the advisability of using Irish in this instance.

I have no intention of educating myself any further on the concept of Irish Language Football. An Irish Language Drinking Session now - I'd be up for that.

Anyway, back on topic. Have AGS made any progress with their investigation into the break-ins and thefts?

I think a good plan for the future would be to make a rota so that one of the lads has to stay and patrol the cars while the game is on. If you or the opposition can't sacrifice a player with a hurl and a sliothar for this (maybe one from your team for the first half, one of them for the second half), you should consider using another venue where you would be able to keep a much closer eye on the cars. You might even be able to organise a few non-playing mates to stay with the cars at either venue.

The Phoenix Park seems to be a major part of the current problem - it's too big, you seem to have to park too far away from the pitches, and the thieves seem to be able to observe, wait, strike and escape without alerting you. Other council or club venues might not attract them at all.

AGS might even be prepared to mount surveillance the next time you are playing there, if you give them enough notice. A few undercover cars in the vicinity could nab the culprits and give AGS a very satisfactory result.

Not your ornery onager

Yep. AGS were called but were taking too long with the lads getting cold so I went home (on bike) and the drivers went to station.

Just to clarify, I didn't have a car robbed so I wasn't at the station and didn't try reporting anything in Irish.
    Also, for the record, I wouldn't have reported it in Irish anywhere other than in my own Gaeltacht - that's just me but others are perfectly entitled to do so. There is also a surprisingly large amount of sergeants and supers with Irish and in the event that there were no Gaelgeoirs, the only people inconvenienced would have been the team. No puppies would be harmed.

I'm drawing a line under this but if I come across any new information relating to thefts in the park, I'll post it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement