Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new graphics card compatiblity

Options
  • 12-09-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My acer aspire 7720g laptop video card has died! I no how to replace it just no idea what card to replace it with! The card in it at the moment is a NVIDIA GeForce 8400m GS 256 MB. I dont want to spend a fortune on a new card as I dont use the laptop for gaming, just the odd bit of telly and the usual stuff. So my question is what cheaper video cards are compatible with this laptop and also there is an ExpressCard/54 slot on the side, could that be used for a new video card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nvidia-9600M-9600GT-MXM-II-VGA-Card-Acer-5930g-6930g-C1-/170478526077?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item27b14fde7d

i think your looking for something along those lines. I'm sure there is cheaper.

as the card is removable ... have you tried baking it . works on most of the 8 series from nvidia . youtube has loads of video guides on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SuzyDaFloozy

THats alot more then i wanted to spend but i did hear about baking it! I might just give that a try, thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SuzyDaFloozy

Just baked the card and it worked, happy days :) thanks again for the advice, i thought the baking thing was a myth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

yeah works but unfortunately doesn't always last.

if your lucky you can get 6months out of a bake. you can bake it again and get more time. Best thing would be save for a replacement in while waiting for it to fail again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Baking has been around at least as long as the Red Ring of Death (xbox 360) and yeah the 8400M GS is an inherently faulty chipset, with a high rate of failure. Baking does help them though. Should be a lot of them on ebay though if you ever need a replacement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement