Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trapattoni, youth and direction ..

• 12-09-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭

So Traps comments are just in

Seemingly Robbie Brady 'needs first team football to gain an irish spot'

Amongst other things trap has dedicated his time telling players what they need to be doing to gain an ever increasingly prestigious place in the irish squad.

including his comments on a return of Damien...

Im beyond disillusioned with this man. Thoughts ? Prayers ?

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/robbie-brady-needs-first-team-action-to-seal-irish-spot-warns-trapattoni-593266-Sep2012/

IRELAND MANAGER Giovanni Trapattoni has told Robbie Brady he must play first-team football if he is to build on his impressive international debut and become a regular for his country.
    The 20-year-old forward marked his maiden senior appearance for his country by scoring one goal and setting up two others in a 4-1 friendly international win over Oman at Fulham’s Craven Cotagge home in London yesterday.
    However, Brady has yet to make a senior appearance for Manchester United and veteran Italian boss Trapattoni said he needed to force his way into the reckoning at Old Trafford or go out on loan to a second-tier Championship club in order to develop his career.
    “This is a problem we have in our team, that five or six players only usually play 30 minutes or so every week,” said Trapattoni.
    And the 73-year-old Trapattoni ruled Brady out from playing in the Republic’s next World Cup qualifier against Germany in Dublin on October 12.
    “I have been asked whether players who play in friendlies will play in the qualifiers immediately after before and in the case of the game against Germany, the answer is no. Absolutely no.
    “We need to play with the players who know the system and who know what they can do because the Germans are strong.”
    Ireland produced one of the worst performances of Trapattoni’s reign on Friday as they scraped a 2-1 win in Kazakhstan thanks to last-gasp goals from Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle. But the veteran manager insisted: “I choose the players on the basis of the job ahead.
    “Obviously there are players in the squad who are coming back like Richard Dunne and maybe Damien Duff.”

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lol at the delusion that Duff will come back.

He needs to stop flogging that dead horse.

Speaking of dead horses, it's about time trap and his fossilised "system" were sent to the knackers yard.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the man is a dinosaur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Ha, youth and direction in the same sentence as Trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Trap is too settled in his ways to change anything , Friday being a very obvious example of this! He will stick with the same players match after match, younger players wont stand a chance in the qualifiers..unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Seaneh wrote: »
    Lol at the delusion that Duff will come back.

I'd rather not see him back tbh. Yeah he's been a great servent but he's too old to be an international winger. So it's a handshanke and a 'thanks for everything' from me. Should be looking to McGeady, Mclean, Coleman and now Brady to fill the void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

listermint wrote: »
    “This is a problem we have in our team, that five or six players only usually play 30 minutes or so every week,” said Trapattoni.
    Lol, WTF? Maybe that's because you keep f**king picking them instead of players that actually are getting game-time

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Does he not realise Wilson, Clark, Gibson, Long, Doyle, McClean are all first memebers for each of their teams and they cant get a game. Its the players he starts that are getting 30 mins each week. More rubbish out of Trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

But the veteran manager insisted: “I choose the players on the basis of the job ahead..."

OK. So based on Trap's theory, Estonia, Andorra, Russia, Italy, Spain, Kazakhstan are all on an equal footing as far the "job ahead" is concerned, given that he pretty much chooses the same team :confused:

You're talking out your hole, Trap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Trap to stick with the usual senior players. Shocked!
    The quicker he is gone, a new manager comes in and the young blood gets cemented, the better it will be for the team.

Two more years of this, enjoy lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Shame the way only certain players need first team football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

This problem is affecting the English national side too to an extent anyway. If you look at the starting XI they had out the other night - Defoe, Ox, Milner, are all in and out at club level. It affects every national side to varying extents.

This whole situation reminds me of the cliche "better to never meet your heroes". Whilst Trap was never a hero for Irish people, we did all think he was an incredible manager with an incredible CV. The same applies to Capello in England. And, like Capello, they achieved good results in qualifying campaigns and fell short. Internationally both of their reputations will remain intact, or improved. Whilst we all see Traps failings at close hand, the international audience will see Trap taking a limited squad to the Euros!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Trap will do damage to the future of these young players. The sooner he is gone the better, is such a shame and its hard to stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd rather not see him back tbh. Yeah he's been a great servent but he's too old to be an international winger. So it's a handshanke and a 'thanks for everything' from me. Should be looking to McGeady, Mclean, Coleman and now Brady to fill the void.

Irregardless of whether or not Duff is coming back or not, the process of trying to convince him should be carried out in private. Surely it undermines the confidence of McClean, Cox and the other wingers in the squad to know that the management is openly trying to convince Duff to return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Zee Germans are strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Irregardless of whether or not Duff is coming back or not, the process of trying to convince him should be carried out in private. Surely it undermines the confidence of McClean, Cox and the other wingers in the squad to know that the management is openly trying to convince Duff to return.

:D

I wonder are they trying to get him back privately. Maybe there was some efforts, which might be ongoing, to get him back and this was more a slip of the tongue rather than the first that was said about it. Its defo not the first time he's mentioned it in a press interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All the 'know it alls' out in force again tonight. When are you guys going to get a clue?

Trap did brilliantly to get an awful squad to the Euros. We were unlucky to come up against the two best teams in the tournament in our group.

He is now planning to make the World Cup. He has 3 points in the bag from one game but its not good enough because the fans and media pundits don't want points they want a performance and forget the result.

The big problem these days is that every idiot gets to play football manager games and then they think that they know what being a real football manager is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

eagle eye wrote: »
    All the 'know it alls' out in force again tonight. When are you guys going to get a clue?

Trap did brilliantly to get an awful squad to the Euros. We were unlucky to come up against the two best teams in the tournament in our group.

He is now planning to make the World Cup. He has 3 points in the bag from one game but its not good enough because the fans and media pundits don't want points they want a performance and forget the result.

The big problem these days is that every idiot gets to play football manager games and then they think that they know what being a real football manager is all about.

Let's not pretend that getting "this awful squad" to the Euro's was some great feat.

We got beat by Russia at home then somehow managed a miracle draw away to them - which was no tactical masterclass, it was plain good old fashioned luck.
    Slovakia were hardly any great shapes. We managed two dull draws against them.
    He done well to beat Armenia away but it was no great performance.
    At home to them we were outplayed and needed a refereeing decision to get the win.

Thanks to Armenia beating Slovakia away we managed to sneak second.
    Then we got handed the softest draw possible in Estonia.

There is no doubt in my mind that Brian Kerr would have gotten us there with the above draw. I'm not saying we should get him back but I really do believe he could have done a better job. We would have also seen a bit of football being played and youth getting a fair chance ( imagine that )

The system Trap plays is flawed in this day and age. We play turgid football with some ordinary players. Even if we somehow manage to get to the WorldCup playing this way then what's going to happen? We will get our arses handed to us just like the Euro's.

At the moment we are going nowhere.
    The football is terrible.
    Morale in the squad seems to be low.
    Players are leaving.
    Good players are being overlooked and not given a chance.
    Communication seems to have broken down.

In my opinion the best thing for the team is a new manager who plays youth. We should be building for the next few campagins. The longer Trappatonni stays the more it harms the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

ColeTrain wrote: »
    There is no doubt in my mind that Brian Kerr would have gotten us there with the above draw.

I guess we'll never know, but Kerr did have his go and didn't get us there. He also had better players than Trap too with which to do it.

Worse than that it felt to me that when it came to a crunch tie Kerr teams seemed to capitulate (Swis 03, Fra 05 and Swis 05 seem to come to mind, even Russia 03 where we blew a lead and Fra 04 where we should have won comfortably against a weakened French side).

Trap seems to make the kind of teams that could nick a win or a draw here and there (often undeserved and in the ugliest manner). Kerr by comparison seemed to throw away results time and again.

Overall I'd disagree that Kerr would have got better results with this lot than Trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I guess we'll never know, but Kerr did have his go and didn't get us there. He also had better players than Trap too with which to do it.

Worse than that it felt to me that when it came to a crunch tie Kerr teams seemed to capitulate (Swis 03, Fra 05 and Swis 05 seem to come to mind, even Russia 03 where we blew a lead and Fra 04 where we should have won comfortably against a weakened French side).

Trap seems to make the kind of teams that could nick a win or a draw here and there (often undeserved and in the ugliest manner). Kerr by comparison seemed to throw away results time and again.

Overall I'd disagree that Kerr would have got better results with this lot than Trap.

Kerr had his chance alright, what I was trying to do was highlight that Trappatonni's achievement in getting us to the Euro's wasn't that impressive considering who we played and how we went about it.
    The team was always going to be showed up like we saw in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Kerr had his chance alright, what I was trying to do was highlight that Trappatonni's achievement in getting us to the Euro's wasn't that impressive considering who we played and how we went about it.
    The team was always going to be showed up like we saw in June.

Fair enough. I agree we defo had a weak group and an easy play-off for 2012. Couple to that tho we also had a weak squad (as was demonstrated beyond doubt in the finals), which is why I don't think Kerr would have pulled it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We lost to the other team in the group too......

If anything I'd say we (well, Trap) were lucky to get Italy and Spain because it allowed a write off of the Euros by just saying "ah sure we got Italy and Spain, what could we do". If we'd gotten a **** group and still got mullered , he'd surely have had to walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

At the end of the day Trap is doing well with the players we have. It may not be Barca but it gets results and that's what matters. I'd personally prefer a boring 1-0 win than a brilliant 2-3 loss that gets us nowhere. I believe Trap has his flaws but so does every manager. He got us to the Euros where we were found out but we must accept that! People won't appreciate the job he's done until he leaves it.
    Yes I'd play Mccarthy, McClean, Clark, Long and Wilson but that won't change everything. The next manager will have a tough job regardless although I'd feel a bit confident if that manager was Chris Hughton! Rant over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

At the end of the day Trap is doing well with the players we have. It may not be Barca but it gets results and that's what matters. I'd personally prefer a boring 1-0 win than a brilliant 2-3 loss that gets us nowhere. I believe Trap has his flaws but so does every manager. He got us to the Euros where we were found out but we must accept that! People won't appreciate the job he's done until he leaves it.
    Yes I'd play Mccarthy, McClean, Clark, Long and Wilson but that won't change everything. The next manager will have a tough job regardless although I'd feel a bit confident if that manager was Chris Hughton! Rant over..

ROFL.

Trap is not 'doing well with the players he has available' facts are facts people he is marginalising some of the most prospective young IRISH talent weve had for years.

He is advising players what to do with their careers as if it will impact their place in the team, something which he has shown quite clearly in the past has no bearing on his team selection.

He holds grudges against players and has some of the most questionable communication we have seen.

He airs grievances publically and infers to the media items that shouldnt be out there, pressurising retired players into turn abouts that are blatantly not necessary.

Take your blinkers off the Euros we stumbled into with a hefty rub of the green and excused our way out of WOEFUL performances because the opposition went on to be finalists. I was there it wasnt pretty in fact it was far far less than that.

If this man truely had the skills that he maybe once possessed he would have the ability to get the most out of the 6-7 youth players that we continually rant and rave about. He continually says he picks players for the job at hand but plays them out of position and not on their current form. Chosses to play lads with no ties to a club over guys which have 'obeyed' his instruction and moved clubs with first team football but makes no ends.

And finally he seems to have very little interest in travelling to see players in their respective leagues to gain some actual knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses. What the hell are we paying this man mega money for? Answer me that?

And your throw away comment about football manager games is hilarious because you need to take the hood of nonsense off your head and address my points above which are plain for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I honestly think that more people would celebrate if we lost to Kazakhstan than when we won. The reason being it would show the failings of the team and manager.

I know this because I'm one of them. It does not take a footballing genius to see the harm he is causing. The way he treats the fringe players is appalling and with the status of international football being well below that of club football, they may not be there when they are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Let's not pretend that getting "this awful squad" to the Euro's was some great feat.

We got beat by Russia at home then somehow managed a miracle draw away to them - which was no tactical masterclass, it was plain good old fashioned luck.
    Slovakia were hardly any great shapes. We managed two dull draws against them.
    He done well to beat Armenia away but it was no great performance.
    At home to them we were outplayed and needed a refereeing decision to get the win.

Thanks to Armenia beating Slovakia away we managed to sneak second.
    Then we got handed the softest draw possible in Estonia.

There is no doubt in my mind that Brian Kerr would have gotten us there with the above draw. I'm not saying we should get him back but I really do believe he could have done a better job. We would have also seen a bit of football being played and youth getting a fair chance ( imagine that )

The system Trap plays is flawed in this day and age. We play turgid football with some ordinary players. Even if we somehow manage to get to the WorldCup playing this way then what's going to happen? We will get our arses handed to us just like the Euro's.

At the moment we are going nowhere.
    The football is terrible.
    Morale in the squad seems to be low.

Players are leaving.
    Good players are being overlooked and not given a chance.
    Communication seems to have broken down.
    Not according to Kevin Doyle but I suppose you'd know better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I honestly think that more people would celebrate if we lost to Kazakhstan than when we won. The reason being it would show the failings of the team and manager.

I know this because I'm one of them. It does not take a footballing genius to see the harm he is causing. The way he treats the fringe players is appalling and with the status of international football being well below that of club football, they may not be there when they are needed.

I know a few people alright that were disappointed we got out of jail as it means the misery gets dragged on.

Someone alluded to nicking wins when we shouldn't be but I don't think that should count against teams of the caliber of Kazakhstan or San Marino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I wouldnt want Ireland to loose a match for the manager to be sacked and I dont think any real fan would either

gustavo wrote: »

Oh yeah because a seasoned player like doyle is going to say that morale is low to the media... Come off it.

I echo the sentiments of most here in that Trap is disabling Irish Football from the inside and alienating some of our best young players and continues to play rejected players. He has done his best work in his first campaign and has gone down hill ever since.

His system is flawed
    His understanding of his own squad and national pool is both limited and flawed

His tyrinical approach to man management is akin to Mussolini

He has to go for the good of the national side, and I would say Tardelli , who is to be Traps replacement , should be given the boot along with him

Sin City wrote: »
    I wouldnt want Ireland to loose a match for the manager to be sacked and I dont think any real fan would either

Any real fan wants the team to be the best it can be and insuring that we are heading the right direction. And protecting the players of tomorrow. Is that whats happening ?

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote: »

Kevin Doyle also says its because he is playing in the Championship that he has lost his place, unlike St Ledger, Cox , McShane Green, Andrews etc

Any real fan wants the team to be the best it can be and insuring that we are heading the right direction. And protecting the players of tomorrow. Is that whats happening ?

No its not happening , but wishing that the team fails just so you can see the Trap getting stick doesnt help either and seems fairly childish

Sin City wrote: »
    No its not happening , but wishing that the team fails just so you can see the Trap getting stick doesnt help either and seems fairly childish

Who said i was wishing the team fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

So Traps comments are just in

Seemingly Robbie Brady 'needs first team football to gain an irish spot'

A young player with hunger on the books of one of the biggest clubs in the world who played a stormer in a friendly needs to prove himself via first team football.

Paul Green, despite being without a club at the time having been released by Derby, got a run out in the Euro finals.

Traps madness no longer contains its method :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

A young player with hunger on the books of one of the biggest clubs in the world who played a stormer in a friendly needs to prove himself via first team football.

Paul Green, despite being without a club at the time having been released by Derby, got a run out in the Euro finals.

Traps madness no longer contains its method :confused:

Remember Trap said the same thing about Gibson when he was at Utd,Gibson moved and finished last season strong at Everton,but still couldn't get picked by Trap,even though he made the Euro's squad the likes of Green got a run ahead of him,no wonder he wanted time away from the squad.

Gibson probably plays guitar ......

• Advertisement
Advertisement