Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ 120GB Vertex Plus SSD - 40 GBP before delivery from scan.co.uk

Options
  • 12-09-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Seen this in marketing e-mail from scan today:

OCZ 120GB Vertex Plus SSD 40 GBP excluding delivery charges

I believe it is pretty good price for 120 GB SSD.

2cents from myself - just some info I gathered so far on it:
    Drive itself is the first Vortex generation, (current gen is 3), first released in 2010.
    Manufacturer code is OCZSSD2-1VTXPL120G which means the last and the best first gen Vortex modification.
    Some people are saying that OCZ SSD's have higher rate of RMA's comparing to other big manufacturers, but with no stat's provided it could be down to the fact OCZ just sold more SSD's than others.
    IMO it is stock clearance (before new model release???).
    Still clear bargain: any SSD is faster than any HDD, and 120GB will host OS volume and major apps.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Getting fed up with my 64GB SSD, so I ordered this one. Here's hoping it's reliable, it'll only be a boot disk, and I will use my very reliable Crucial M4 for something else. Cheers OP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ordered 5 of these in work for machines we look after, I'm a little weary of reliability though so the 5 will be test cases. Savage price if all runs smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

theteal wrote: »
    Ordered 5 of these in work for machines we look after, I'm a little weary of reliability though so the 5 will be test cases. Savage price if all runs smoothly

You can test them for me so! I reckon I'll wait until I can get my hands on Windows 8 before bothering to reinstall my machine:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I'm a little weary of reliability though
    Weary? These should be perfect :-D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I mentioned this in the last SSD thread.

From what I can gather a firmware update should be applied ASAP but this should fix any issues these drives once had. Great bargain if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

160 MB/s write is not a world record, my two SATA2 HDD's in RAID0 do faster (about 240 MB/s). But still good option for older machines.

If you have client PC's in the centralized network with data saved on the backuped server, disk faults shouldn't be a problem (especially when you have 3 year guarantee). I wonder how fast and deep are prices going to fall for this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I wouldn't install these for any customer its got to reflect badly on you when they fail.

Its amazing how optimistic people are when faced with a bargain there are a totally disproportionate number of negative reviews including people who have installed the updated firmware, I haven't seen that kind of failures and negative feedback since ibm deskstar drives back in 2001. And that has gone down in history as a record breaking manufacturing disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

moodrater wrote: »
    I wouldn't install these for any customer its got to reflect badly on you when they fail.

Its amazing how optimistic people are when faced with a bargain there are a totally disproportionate number of negative reviews including people who have installed the updated firmware, I haven't seen that kind of failures and negative feedback since ibm deskstar drives back in 2001. And that has gone down in history as a record breaking manufacturing disaster.

Any links you could post to back-up what you're saying here? I'm aware of Vertex 2 drives having serious long-term issues, but was under the impression these Vertex+ drives were nowhere near as bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As an FYI (bearing in mind I haven't had the need to order any PC stuff in a while) as a member of AV Forums you get much reduced shipping (think once over £50) to Ireland, only thing is you have to phone in your order and ask for the discount. I used it plenty on times on HTPC and my main PC build.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

our few arrived this morning, they come shipped with firmware version 3.5, the latest available is 3.55 and according to their notes the only difference is
    Fix error seen when installing Windows XP or Windows 7 on VERTEX PLUS drive connected through SATA1
    so in theory they should be fine (i'd update anyway). i've too much on my plate today to get testing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Debating whether to replace my work laptop's 500gb drive with one of these. I do have external drives, and my OS is on a 100gb partition now. Mostly sql and email really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Looks decent, considering the newer ones are 3 times the price!
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/Site/Catalog/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=80006437

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Gsxr600

Well lads I got my one today.
    NOT WORKING out of the box, stay away at all cost.
    Having said that - my other ocz vertex 2 is doing fine in ps3.
    Vertex plus seemes to have nothing but bad rewievs online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Gsxr600 wrote: »

You may have to change the bios setting to ide then do the firmware update, lots of people had to connect to a totally different computer to get it update to work then it worked fine in the original computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

Gsxr600 wrote: »

it is a well known fact that you may need firmware upgrade (it is recommended with any ssd - especially if they have sandforce controller) with older ssd drives so it is not really surprising

they cost only 40 quids for 120GB for a reason - they are quite old, still faster than pretty much any hdd, but they have old firmware not exactly compatible with modern sata2/3 mobos

imho a good buy, personally i would go for samsung 830 but it is nowhere near this price

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Gsxr600

m4rkiz wrote: »
    it is a well known fact that you may need firmware upgrade (it is recommended with any ssd - especially if they have sandforce controller) with older ssd drives so it is not really surprising

they cost only 40 quids for 120GB for a reason - they are quite old, still faster than pretty much any hdd, but they have old firmware not exactly compatible with modern sata2/3 mobos

imho a good buy, personally i would go for samsung 830 but it is nowhere near this price

Double and triple checked in different computers - its dead.
    Sending back for refund now.

Advertisement