Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia course -MISLEADING

Options
  • 12-09-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I accepted the BA in Multimedia on the grounds it had quite a wide choice of modules - See http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=MMA And Sound production was the one I was most interested in and the course seemed to do a fair bit of this, with the option to continue with sound production in second year.

But after going to register this is now the subjects on the course in yr1:

Introduction to Social Studies, Photography and Design 1, Multimedia Studies, Authoring.
    SEMESTER 2: Digital Storytelling, Designing Web Sites, Writing for Media, Psychology, Media and Creativity.

There is no Sound production and they seem to have got rid of a load of modules. This was not the course I was led to believe it was - how can they just get rid of a load of modules and let people believe the course is completely different? I would never have accepted the course if I knew this was going to be the module choice - does anyone that's done the course before have any advice? I've spent all day ringing the college but can't get an answer of anyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

This information is provisional and subject to change.
    I'd keep trying to get onto them ASAP and see if there's any chance of picking Sound Production as an option in Year 2 and beyond.

My timetable took a major turn for the worse just today, went from 3 days to 4 evenings... I'm kind of hoping it changes again before I start.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Multimedia has had a really had time. Our brilliant audio lecturer died suddenly in an accident last year. Id imagine thats part of the problem, Id recommend you get onto someone in the course to find out about the situation. Someone has to be doing sound. The building that course is in doesn't have two recording studios and an audio mac lab for no reason.

Out of all the lecturers on the course try contacting Declan Tuite, I always found him to be the most open, friendly, and approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

What Noodleworm said.

I've been keeping track of the changes happening to the multimedia course, and the way that I've been hearing it, they are really drastic improvements in the usefulness of the modules.

Also, consider joining DCUfm if audio is your main interest. If you want to work in media but don't take part in student media, you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage, if only because your cv and past work won't be as impressive as all the people who did join their student media organisations.

If you want to do video, try DCUtv. For writing, The College View is the one to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zeppelin67

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely plan on taking part in the radio and tv socs. I've heard their great!

Sad to hear about the audio lecturer, that's probably part of the problem. I've contacted numerous different people and everyone said to speak to the head of the course Dr. Miriam Judge but from past experiences with her I'm not expecting a reply anytime soon.

I spoke to Karl Grimes and he was very helpful but wasn't really sure what the situation was with the sound production module. I'll try to get in contact with Declan Tuite and see what he has to say on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HiThereImRonan

I thought I wasn't registered correctly when I signed up but I started to assume that digital storytelling was audio and video combined. Since the module list isn't updated yet, we have no idea, but it's just a thought.

Either way, I'm content with the modules :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zeppelin67

http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=MMA

Heres the updated list, well worth looking through. They've changed a lot of the module names.

Advertisement