Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really regretting not doing TY....

• 12-09-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

hello i'm a 6th year student, and in 3rd year i made the terrible mistake of not doing 4th year... it had never stopped bugging me ever since i started 5th year and now i'm in 6th year LC year and i feel like i'm not ready to do my LC.. i really wonna do well maybe 500+ points but i was looking at an article and they said that students who do TY generally do better in their LC, now i feel like there is no chance for me :(, did any of you not do TY and still got 500+ points? also do you regret not doing 4th year
    thanks for all your answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rosiee

I regret doing TY
    Simply because I'm repeating this year so that's another year in school :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

TY is crap. Only thing is that when I was in 4th year we covered a lot of English, Biology, metalwork, maths, DCG and my friends did a lot of History. If you work hard though, you'll be able to cover it all. Might be a bit difficult if you're doing a science subject because there's lots to cover. Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk. At least it won't matter if you have to repeat because you've missed a year anyway :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I skipped TY and got 530...
    There's no better feeling than seeing all the people who laughed at you for skipping it stuck in school! :pac: But I'm 17 in college now which is a bit worse than I imagined.
    I didn't not feel ready for the LC but I took a "this can't be harder than 3rd year" approach to 5th year and didn't keep great notes, but in 6th year I decided I wanted to get 500+ and worked my ass off in my best subjects, and kept up with the others as much as I could.

I think around...10-12 people got over 500 in my year. Besides myself I know of 2 who got it that didn't do TY either (and incidentally they were much higher than a lot of the others who still broke 500 - those two got 555 and 565!). The highest was an ex-TY who got 600 but he was really smart anyway, then one guy who did TY got 535; I don't think TY has a whole lot to do with high points.
    Not to make sweeping generalisations but most of the people who skip TY (in my year at least) are the type who don't care much for school and just want to get out as fast as possible, so I do think that might have something to do with it...and on the other side of the coin, there was a bit of a points gulf in my year and a lot of the people who had done TY got quite low points, as far as I've heard. Again, it's a fairly minimal difference - I wouldn't have any idea why it seems to occur.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to try to make it seem a bit less bleak! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vale95

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I skipped TY and got 530...
    There's no better feeling than seeing all the people who laughed at you for skipping it stuck in school! :pac: But I'm 17 in college now which is a bit worse than I imagined.
    I didn't not feel ready for the LC but I took a "this can't be harder than 3rd year" approach to 5th year and didn't keep great notes, but in 6th year I decided I wanted to get 500+ and worked my ass off in my best subjects, and kept up with the others as much as I could.

I think around...10-12 people got over 500 in my year. Besides myself I know of 2 who got it that didn't do TY either (and incidentally they were much higher than a lot of the others who still broke 500 - those two got 555 and 565!). The highest was an ex-TY who got 600 but he was really smart anyway, then one guy who did TY got 535; I don't think TY has a whole lot to do with high points.
    Not to make sweeping generalisations but most of the people who skip TY (in my year at least) are the type who don't care much for school and just want to get out as fast as possible, so I do think that might have something to do with it...and on the other side of the coin, there was a bit of a points gulf in my year and a lot of the people who had done TY got quite low points, as far as I've heard. Again, it's a fairly minimal difference - I wouldn't have any idea why it seems to occur.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to try to make it seem a bit less bleak! :P
    Thank you soo much :) I feel much better mainly because i also did very little in 5th yr, so what time of the year did u get down to work? And what helpful advise can u give me for acheving high points? also my problem is that I haven't a clue of what I want to do in college, did u more or less have an idea of what u wanted to do ?
    Sorry for all these questions lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It's no problem, I like answering people's questions if it's helpful. :P
    You're in the exact same situation as I was. :D
    I remember starting on day 1 because I sort of thought if I didn't I never would, but only small bits because I'd just done the summer tests. After Christmas is the time to start studying but do your homework properly. :) To get high points I'd advise working hard at the subjects you're good at to get some A's rather than a lot of middle B's - I did that and ended up with fairly skewed grades, but I think it worked anyway; mainly because 3 of my A's were similar subjects (eng/irish/french). If you have any similar subjects, e.g. biology/ag science for example, work on them a lot and they'll complement each other. :)

And no I had NO idea until at least halfway into 6th year. Dont worry, you'll probably find something you like this year! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

vale95 wrote: »
    hello i'm a 6th year student, and in 3rd year i made the terrible mistake of not doing 4th year... it had never stopped bugging me ever since i started 5th year and now i'm in 6th year LC year and i feel like i'm not ready to do my LC.. i really wonna do well maybe 500+ points but i was looking at an article and they said that students who do TY generally do better in their LC, now i feel like there is no chance for me :(, did any of you not do TY and still got 500+ points? also do you regret not doing 4th year
    thanks for all your answers.
    You didn't make a mistake. If TY can magically improve your points (Which is probably only true for the best of TY programmes) then having two shots at the LC is even better.

A lot of people (myself included) got high points without TY. I got 555 in 2011 (580 with the CAO now) and all it took was paying attention in class, doing my homework and studying properly.

If you don't get over 500 points and have to repeat, you'll be glad you saved a year by not doing TY. If you don't need to repeat and more than likely you won't, you'll be happy that you saved a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MOR66

In my experience my friends who chose not to do TY seemed to have a slight deposition toword repeating,but this is just my own experience and i wouldn't have any overall percentages comparing the two groups!! I do think ty is a great experience if you actually bother to pre plan and make the most of the year to mature and discover yourself (as cheesy as it sounds!).I think your problem is your realsing your facing the biggest exams in your life and are stressing.You can't take back what's in the past,you need to focus on your goals for the year and seek advice from a guidance counciller.Don't fret,the leaving cert is only a obstacle and there's many routes you can take after it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Saying that people who do TY generally do better is actually kind of an example of bad statistics. It says nothing about an individual- what if somebody who did TY had actually skipped? Would they have done better or worse? There's no way to know.

As Patchy said a lot of people who skip TY just want to get out of school asap. Some of these people don't exactly have the best work ethic and they'll drag the average down. There are also very few people who actually do skip TY (as far as I know) so the sample sizes in question are completely different. If 5 people skip TY and their points average is 430, and 80 people do TY and theirs is 450, is it fair to say "people who do TY get on average 20 points more in the LC?" Of course not, it's misleading, it doesn't show that doing TY has any impact at all, there could be several other factors involved.

Basically don't worry about skipping TY, at the end of the day your points in the leaving cert will depend on your level of ability and how much work you're willing to put in and very little else.

Oh and by the way I think TY was actually a bit of a hindrance for me personally in terms of the LC, I'm glad I did it for other reasons but over the course of the year I forgot a lot of what I'd learnt before, particularly when it came to languages. My Irish and German were terrible after TY.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I didn't do TY and got 535. It just depends on how much work you're willing to do for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

I didn't do Ty and got 540..the trend seemed to be the opposite in my year..those who got over 500 points had not done Ty with the exception of one person..it really depends..I'm now 17 going into college also but I don't regret it because I don't think I could have stayed another year in school and study for the leaving cert this year whilst others were moving onto college!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Really don't worry about it many people do worse off with ty as they study alot in 3rd year and fourth year ruins it , when they start back in 5th year they cannot get back down to study, sometimes its better not to have the break from study so you can stay motivated , good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

agree 100%. I did TY and went from achieving high grades to a C student all because I lacked motivation to work in 5th and 6th year. I think some ppl do def suffer from doing TY but then others see it as an advantage! 
     If I had a choice again tho,I'd def skip TY!

Advertisement