Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Tuiseal Ginideach help ?

• 12-09-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I'm usually good at the TG, but just one small thing I don't understand!
    It's this :
    you know 'de bharr' is 'because of' in Irish and it's always 'De bharr + Tuiseal Ginideach'
    Well for example, if you were saying Because of the recession, would it be 'De bharr an Cúlú Eacnamaiochta' or 'De bharr na cúlú eacnamaiochta? '

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

ray2012 wrote: »
    I'm usually good at the TG, but just one small thing I don't understand!
    It's this :
    you know 'de bharr' is 'because of' in Irish and it's always 'De bharr + Tuiseal Ginideach'
    Well for example, if you were saying Because of the recession, would it be 'De bharr an Cúlú Eacnamaiochta' or 'De bharr na cúlú eacnamaiochta? '

Should be de bharr an cúlú eacnamaíochta.

Baininscneach nouns take a "na" before them in TG
    Firinscneach nouns take "an + h(on the next word)" in TG although, de bharr an chúlú eacnamaíochta doesn't look right..

I'm but a humble student, so have mercy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sexi Mama!**!

100% --> de bharr an chúlú eacnamaíochta

I understand that you may have thought na should have been there because 'eacnamaíocht' is feminine But in this case...eacnamaíocht is describing 'cúlú' (recession).

Cúlú us the first noun that follows...therefore the above is correct.

Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

100% --> de bharr an chúlú eacnamaíochta

I understand that you may have thought na should have been there because 'eacnamaíocht' is feminine But in this case...eacnamaíocht is describing 'cúlú' (recession).

Cúlú us the first noun that follows...therefore the above is correct.

Hope this makes sense.

+1.
    It's not really because of "cúlú" being the first noun that follows, but rather because of the first point you made: eacnamaíocht is really serving the purpose of an adjective, so "cúlú eacnamaíochta" is treated as a single (masculine) noun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sexi Mama!**!

Good point mathsmaniac!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Go raibh maith agat ! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement