Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happens When Cheques Go?!

Options
  • 12-09-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Well folks,
    Don't know if this is the correct forum as it covers numerous banks, (also have it in another section)
    I was just wondering what will happen when the banks take away / phase out the faithful old cheque book?! What will be the new "currency" Especially wondering about say voluntary organisations / clubs that need or have to use cheque books as per best practice and keeping a "paper-trail"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi FixItAginTomora,

Thanks for your question.

Chequebooks are available to customers who hold a Personal Current account with us. However the rate of cheque usage for personal customers has been declining over the last few years and is being replaced by usage of debit cards and electronic/online payments. These alternatives and others such as direct debits and standing orders are quicker and safer options for our customers to transfer money. Domestic and international transfers can be made on Banking 365 online and online transfers are faster than waiting for a cheque to clear. Banking 365 Online also has eStatements so you can keep track of your banking.

If you don't use Banking 365 Online at the moment, you can find an online and telephone banking application form here

If you have any questions about Banking 365, you can call a representative on 0818 365 365. Representative assisted hours are from 8am - 12 midnight Monday to Friday and 10am - 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

I hope this helps.

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭FixItAginTomora

Tried to send pm there but it didn't seem to work or save in sent items for some reason, anyway;
    Thanks for your reply Billy. I was just looking for information specifically in relation to clubs and voluntary organisations. In many cases, a club or vol. organisation is bounded by a constitution to keep a paper trail of accounts i.e. a cheque book/receipts etc. While I agree online maybe handier and cut down on paper work, in many cases as you are aware a club / voluntary organisation would require a minimum of say two or three signatures to "spend" money via cheque book. How would you propose to keep this trace-ability up? Say if it is electronic payments many clubs will be now forced to have cash on hand with an individual to pay for say room hire, expenses etc. Has this been taken into account or is there ongoing discussion in relation to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi FixItAgainTomora,

You would be best to speak to your account holding branch to discuss the various options and what may be best for your organisation. You can contact your branch here.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement