Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Charlton Reefing Someone in "THAT" game vs England

• 12-09-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw a clip on RTE news from the Ireland vs England game in lansdowne and it showed Jack Charlton reefing someone - was he an English or Irish supporter? Anyone know anything about it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What does "reefing" mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What does "reefing" mean?

Reefing is a sailing manoeuvre intended to reduce the area of a sail on a sailboat or sailing ship, which can improve the ship's stability and reduce the risk of capsizing, broaching, or damaging sails or boat hardware in a strong wind

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I thought a reefer was something you smoked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Reefing someone is the same as streeling out of someone.

Grabbing them by the scruff of the neck and pulling them away from a place, with a good bit of force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Reefing is a sailing manoeuvre intended to reduce the area of a sail on a sailboat or sailing ship, which can improve the ship's stability and reduce the risk of capsizing, broaching, or damaging sails or boat hardware in a strong wind
    Eh yeh - in the soccer forum. hmmm

I thought a reefer was something you smoked?

Eh yeh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

There's a clip that is shown when the Irish fans are on the pitch. Charlton is having a go at the fans telling them to go home. He was a cantankerous old bollox (I had the misfortune of asking him for an autograph when he was in a bad mood) but on that night he was right. From what I seen he didn't "reef" anyone out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I was at that game, any body else here at it? I was under the stand but towards the north terrace, I had a great view of everything. I remember seeing the first piece of timber flying across on to the pitch.

I was on the pitch, they made us go on. Member thinking it was a very strange surface, softer than I thought it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

bullvine wrote: »
    I was on the pitch, they made us go on. Remember thinking it was a very strange surface, softer than I thought it would be.

Ah the taste of a little piece of madeleine brings it all back.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ah the taste of a little piece of madeleine brings it all back.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was at that game, any body else here at it? I was under the stand but towards the north terrace, I had a great view of everything. I remember seeing the first piece of timber flying across on to the pitch.

I was on the pitch, they made us go on. Member thinking it was a very strange surface, softer than I thought it would be.

I was on east stand as young 11 year old, but remember it so well.

You could really see the trouble beginning before it really kicked off.

There was even Irish fans at that game that you not see before. Just looking to start something.

Black day all round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There was even Irish fans at that game that you not see before. Just looking to start something.

This type of wanker still exists, a couple of years ago a troupe of them arrived into Tolka Park for a Setanta Cup game against Linfield.

They set themselves up in the New Stand, in among the Shels singing section of all places, and were promptly drowned out when they started their cowardly sectarian chants.

Bunch of cúnts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was there a B international played in Dalymount around the same time?

Black day all round.

I was with my then GF now Wife, I was only 20, nearly crapped myself. Ended back in Dun Laoghaire, bumped into a load of English Fans in the Burgerking, thought they were gonna wreck the place, thankfully they were alright.

I remember one Irish Fan, a woman with blond fuzzy hair, grabbing a Union Jack that had falling on the pitch and she stamped it into the mud.

Made them even angrier, David Platt went over to ask them to stop, absolute vile was spewed at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Black day all round.

I was at the game, and I was a lot older than 11.

I didnt see any Irish fans before, during or after who were looking to start anything, other than a slagging match. There was huge noise from the Irish fans, and lots of chanting at the English (and vice versa).

I was in the upper West Stand, two sections away from the English section.

The complete lack of police presence or even stewards up there is my biggest recollection. I was expecting a full line of police/stewards separating the English fans from the Irish in the Upper West Stand, but there wasn't one single garda up there and very few stewards.

When the goal went in, the Irish chanting intensified and the English anger rose. A few "missiles" started to be thrown (e.g. coins). Absolutely nothing was done to stop them, and it seemed to me the English thought they had the freedom to do whatever they want, and it wasnt long before they were ripping up the seats and firing them over the edge.

Of course it was more English fans who were directly below them who were getting hit. When they tried to escape onto the pitch the Gardai clattered them with their batons. The Gardai did clatter an awful lot of English fans that night, but a good proportion were the proper English fans who were just trying to get away from the scumbags.

It was very scary up in the West Stand that evening when the trouble really got going, but thankfully the English never turned their attention to us, no fights started and nothing thrown at us while I was there. Of course we got out pretty sharpish when it was obvious things had gotten out of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yeah was there. Remember the Irish chanting "Go home and pay your poll tax" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lumbo wrote: »
    There's a clip that is shown when the Irish fans are on the pitch. Charlton is having a go at the fans telling them to go home. He was a cantankerous old bollox (I had the misfortune of asking him for an autograph when he was in a bad mood) but on that night he was right. From what I seen he didn't "reef" anyone out of it.

Deffo, I saw it on the news the other night, reefed him by the collar and pushed him away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

horrible to have seen that utter ****e happen in dear old landsdowne road.

remember thinking dont ****ing wreck the place we wont be able to afford to f ****ing fix it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What?

Thought it might be a bit obscure alright :/
    It's a Proust reference, he wrote a book on remembrances of things past, a long stream of consciousness with him thinking about the memories of his childhood, including a famous section about the memories brought back by a crumb of madeleine.

It's full of little thoughts like the one you had about the softness of the pitch.

Anyway, never mind, I'll just skulk back into the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

plus ca change....

which. if you think about it, may wel be applicable if england were to play here again next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I remember it well, even though I was only 11. In the southern schoolboy section with my brother and sister, we'd a perfect view of it all kicking off, from the minor jostling after our goal to the full 20 foot lengths of seating they were ripping up getting thrown from the upper stand. It was a pretty scary experience, though slightly exhilarating as we were too far away as to be a target. Our dad was up in the east stand, so we even got to hang around a while and see the gardai knock the bollix out of them for a while.

I also remember a chant of "USA USA USA" directed at the English fans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

The Gardai gave them the mother of all hidings that night. Piles of grown men lying on the ground being beaten to a pulp, not even moving, paralysed with fear.

Popcorn stuff. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

bohsboy wrote: »
    The Gardai gave them the mother of all hidings that night. Piles of grown men lying on the ground being beaten to a pulp, not even moving, paralysed with fear.

Popcorn stuff. :D

Rather it did not happen and the game ran its full 90 minutes with what looked like a Irish win.(even so early)

Advertisement