Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Statley trees

• 12-09-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

My house is in a field, there is good road frontage to one side, (200 metres approx) i was planning on planting a few trees (spaced) along the road and fencing them off seperatly with fence/mesh wire ect . I will probably stay back 6-8 yards from the ditch, what trees would you recommend, would like to see some of the beauty in my life time:rolleyes:....Also they would blind off a quarry in the far distance... oak or beech i suppose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

My house is in a field, there is good road frontage to one side, (200 metres approx) i was planning on planting a few trees (spaced) along the road and fencing them off seperatly with fence/mesh wire ect . I will probably stay back 6-8 yards from the ditch, what trees would you recommend, would like to see some of the beauty in my life time:rolleyes:....Also they would blind off a quarry in the far distance... oak or beech i suppose?

All depends how long you are planning on living:D
    Hard to beat a good oak or beech, but you'd want to be very young now to see them as "stately trees".
    I overplanted beech, sycamore and ash along a roadway and thinned them out as time went on. 15 years later, I have a nice belt of trees, 10m apart that will become as you want in my children's lifetime, I hope!
    We don't really plant for ourselves, but for the future.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

A Lime avenue would be nice, could be underplanted with dogwood.

For speedy blockage then poplar or willow.

but over a ten year period trees that would also do the job would be birch, ash, alder, sorbus. All would look good if formativly pruned correctly.

Advertisement