Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Desktop app?

Options
  • 12-09-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some opinions. I have zero experience of desktop applications. I am proficient in Perl to reasonably advanced level. However, recently, I have been tasked with creating a desktop (Windows based) application. It is very basic (open window, connect to a database, drag some tables, create a query, API to remote source, send that query).

Now, I could create this in Perl, although I know it would be a nightmare (varies outdated libraries, depending on common Windows libraries that are ropy at best - not to mention the hassle of compiling it). So, I have two options:

1) Teach myself a language I can do this in (Java, C++, C#, VB etc)
    2) Pay some to do it!

I have about 8-12 weeks to get this product up and running. The cost of hiring someone isn't really an issue but I would like to able to maintain it afterwards too.

So, with all this in mind; what is my best option? With my current background do you think it is feasible to think I might get to grips with one of the said languages above in the time frame? Or should I just not even bother and get someone in to do it!

Comments

Advertisement