Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide in Mayo

Options
  • 12-09-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

30 Mayo people have died by suicide in 2012. This is a frightening, sad statistic. Taken from here

It is swept under the carpet to an extent and it is so harrowing that young people are taking their lives.

Fair play to comhairle na nog for bringing mental health to the fore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Agreed. One of the difficulties with suicide is that some people take their own lives without any warning or prior indication to anyone.

Often the suspected reason while obviously looming large in the mind of the deceased would be controllable if help sought in time.

Men and young lads are less likely to talk over their worries with friends in the same way as women do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its a plague in the country, we are looking at over 700+ reported suicides this year alone.
    Government aid for mental health issues is to be cut by 10m euro this year. Shocking stuff.

Its a topic I am passionate about due to personal experience and everytime a politician is confronted to it they just ignore the topic.

Myself and 2 mates have been organising this cycle since the beginning of the year, if anyone would like to please share the page and/or like it for us. We are raising money for 1Life but this isn't the main drive of the event, its just to get the 1Life name and number out there any HOPEFULLY we might raise the awareness to save 1 life.

http://www.facebook.com/1LifeCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Sorry I'm not from mayo but 30!!!!!! , that's crazy!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have a read of this:

"Three people a day are now committing suicide in Ireland with police and support groups monitoring known blackspots.

Irish suicide helpline ILife has revealed that it is struggling to cope with the near one hundred calls a day it is taking.

The group has confirmed it received over 33,000 pleas for help in the past 12 months as the suicide rate rises dramatically.

Experts fear that as many as 1,
    000 people will commit suicide in Ireland in 2012.

The situation is so bad that police are watching known suicide spots like the quays in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford.

The Irish Independent also reports that sea cliffs in Clare are under surveillance in a bid to thwart the growing numbers.

Corkman Pat Buckley, founder of the charity Let’s Get Together, spoke to the paper of his fears for the year ahead.

"The problem with the suicide statistics is that they take about two years to compile and even then they are relatively inaccurate and under-report the true scale of the problem,” said Buckley.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Suicide-rate-rising-rapidly-in-Ireland-as-recession-grips-138771164.html#ixzz1zgyv79nF"

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

I had signed up to a hse course in lough lannagh which was to run over today and tomorrow on suicide awareness. I got a phonecall yesterday morning telling me that it was cancelled due to cutbacks.
    Next time I'm close to a politician spouting you know what - watch this space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

finisklin wrote: »
    30 Mayo people have died by suicide in 2012. This is a frightening, sad statistic. Taken from here

It is swept under the carpet to an extent and it is so harrowing that young people are taking their lives.

Fair play to comhairle na nog for bringing mental health to the fore.

My cousin stepped into the Liffey 6 months back cos he'd lost his job and he couldn't afford his meds, they were also stopped. Very sad loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

My father is type 1 diabetic and they have stopped his previously free blood-thinning med tablets as they have said their too expensive and cannot give them to him anymore like tons of others lately and he needs them so it looks like this cnut of a government would rather you just die than give you tablets to survive and keep you alive. I'm going to cause uproar over this after i see my TD, If this government lasts 4 more months i will be very very surprised, sick Bastards. The stress it's causing him now is going to kill him alone. He's 74 now.

There's things I would like to say here but i will be civilized and say nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

My condolences to @ciaran67 and others bereaved by suicide or apparent suicide.

The numbers of people taking their own lives is astronomical and rising in Ireland at the moment; it is unlikely to decrease in the short-term with winter approaching and more welfare, health services and job cuts looming on the horizon.

I get the impression that politicians don't care about these tragic losses and I wonder how they manage to insulate themselves from the consequences of the savage cuts they are enforcing on truly needy people while keeping their own fat snouts and those of their public service buddies buried firmly in the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Well i was harping on to the father to ring clare daly to see could she sort something out about my fathers meds (pradaxa) being stopped because they are supposed to be too expensive, and what do you know... His meds, blood thinner (pradaxa) was given back to him again with apologies.

Once you go high up and complain, it works out. I'd recommend this be done for anyone else worried about these or other meds that have been removed from the medical card holder, especially over 70 medical card holders. Contact your TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

things are gone so bad, i read on one of the forums where people are wrapping up in blankets in the evenings, due to not having money to pay for our inflated oil prices,
    this is the first year that i have not yet switched on central heating, but i do put on fire in evenings,
    if we get a freezing snap, god knows what will happen.
    lots of people out of work for the first time in their lives or with less wages, more expense like, household charge, this septic tank charge, and alas my bin bill has gone up by about seventy euro, electricity hike, food has not come down in prices just going up.
    so to be able to cover these bills we have to leave something out, so oil is the first, at least we have multifuel stove that is easy feed,
    it is really hard to live and afford the basics right now,
    it is hard then to afford doctor visits and medicine, people wait and hope their ailment improve, i dont know if our government know how very desprate people are, they must have no idea, otherwise if they did they may do something about these price hikes and extra expenses that they have emposed upon people who are earning half what they were earning a few yrs ago

goat2 wrote: »
    things are gone so bad, i read on one of the forums where people are wrapping up in blankets in the evenings, due to not having money to pay for our inflated oil prices,
    this is the first year that i have not yet switched on central heating, but i do put on fire in evenings,
    if we get a freezing snap, god knows what will happen.
    lots of people out of work for the first time in their lives or with less wages, more expense like, household charge, this septic tank charge, and alas my bin bill has gone up by about seventy euro, electricity hike, food has not come down in prices just going up.
    so to be able to cover these bills we have to leave something out, so oil is the first, at least we have multifuel stove that is easy feed,
    it is really hard to live and afford the basics right now,
    it is hard then to afford doctor visits and medicine, people wait and hope their ailment improve, i dont know if our government know how very desprate people are, they must have no idea, otherwise if they did they may do something about these price hikes and extra expenses that they have emposed upon people who are earning half what they were earning a few yrs ago

The people running government now only see a lavish lifestyle when they look in the mirror, they don't see what us mere mortals see. They don't live in our world.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

kenny d wrote: »
    I had signed up to a hse course in lough lannagh which was to run over today and tomorrow on suicide awareness. I got a phonecall yesterday morning telling me that it was cancelled due to cutbacks.
    Next time I'm close to a politician spouting you know what - watch this space.

A wee bit of good news. Said course (ASIST) was reinstated last week due in no small bit to the top guy who went on Drivetime to talk about it being cut in the first place.

End result is that 22 men and women in Mayo got a bit of training in dealing with this scourge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Fair play to Tubridy for bringing up this subject on the late late. There are more fatalities by suicide than road deaths every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

finisklin wrote: »
    There are more fatalities by suicide than road deaths every year.

There are vastly more - in 2011 there were 525 suicides in Ireland, as opposed to 186 road deaths. And, if the truth were known, some of the fatal single vehicle crashes which are included in the road deaths total were actually suicides.

Advertisement