Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAVING CERT MUSIC

• 12-09-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

This has several fairly broad questions about Leaving Cert Music.
    I never did music in secondary school, I was talked out of it. Now I'm out of education I got the idea of doing music myself at home. I've played guitar for a few years now so I have the most basic music theory knowledge. The web has suprisingly little useful info on what Leaving cert music involves.
    I'd like a break down of the full exam in simple lay man terms.
    I'd like to know if LC music is suitable to study independently.
    Any useful books/materials would be great.:):confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Hey im only after starting fifth year so i don't know too much about it but heres a few things you would need to know to get a decent grade.Remember the practical is worth 50% unless your doing technology but because your doing it outside school your probably wont do technology.

-Basic notes names if you dont know how to tell notes on a stave then your going to run into alot of problems.

-Identifying key and time signatures on a stave.

-aware of basic musical features in a musical piece such as rest's and repeat marks.

-Knowing how to identify musical features in a set work/song not sure if there set in the leaving but basically if somebody played a song to you would you be able to identify certain features of the song?

We don't even need a music book in our school so i'm not actually too sure what comes up apart from that have you gone on to the department of educations website and checked the exam papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sophiiieee

hi am i am just finished the leaving cert and i did music

The Exam is divided into practical and written

For the written exam there is a listening paper and a composing paper, both worth 25% of the overall mark.

For the listening exam you have to have studied 4 set works, there is 2 different set work groups so it will depend on what year you are sitting the exam whether you have to do A or B. Then on the paper question 1 2 3 and 4 are based on these, question 1 is worth the most marks and the other 3 are worth less but you will not know which se work is going to be as question 1. Then question 5 is on irish traditional music and question 6 is a genral music knowledge question. (all of this exam is 25%)

For the composing paper (again 25%), there is again 6 questions but you only answer 2! Section A (the first 3 questions) is melody composition and you answer 1 of the 3, the 3 questions are 1. continue a given opening, 2. setting music to a given text, and 3. composing to a given dance rhythm, metre, or form. Then section B (Questions 4 5 and 6) is about harmony and again you answer 1 of the 3, question 4. composing melody and bass notesfrom a set of chords, 5. composing bass notes and chord indicatiors to a given tunes or 6. adding a counter melody or descant and cordal support to a given tune.

That is 50% of the exam done

Then the practical is worth 25%

The final 25% is the elective so you have a choice for it. you can choose to use it as the practical, in which case the practical is worth 50% of the overall mark and you just have the 2 papers mentions above. you can also do music technolgy which will take pplace in the practical which is puttin music on a computer, Or you can choose from different electives and do a 3rd paper although i am not sure of what these consist of as i did the practical.

I have set up a blog putting up notes from my leaving cert and i have irish traditional music notes up, i also have lots of notes for the set works i did although they may not be the course you have to do, depening on what year you sit it as it varies.
    http://leaving-cert-helpnotes.blogspot.ie/

Hope this was a help

If you need any more information or help on how to do the different questions feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciarashayes

Hey, can anyone tell me what kind of songs the examiner is looking for in the practicals? I'm singing, and I'm freaking out about the classical songs my teacher has me doing. Will I only get a high grade if I have some classical songs in my set?

Advertisement