Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Families (C&C)

• 12-09-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Haven't posted in an age!

7980552742_a092beb9ee_c.jpg

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only comment from me is that i think the colour may be superfluous; it may work equally well in B&W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I think I agree with you:

7980934086_e76fbdf6b7_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I must admit I dont understand what you were going for with this. I dont want to offer any c+c as its quite possibly a case of me just not getting it. Can you explain what you think the appeal is of this shot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a good candid portrait of a family, by the looks of it. i like the framing in it.

Why is it a good candid portrait?

Im honestly not trying to be awkward, just trying to understand the appeal of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There's a nice open narrative to the picture.

I love shouting at strangers with loo roll in their hand - "are you going for a sh!t?"

I prefer the colour version though.

was the woman in the foreground standing there - i.e. did you frame the shot with her in it, or did she walk in as you tripped the shutter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I like it. I'm curious as what the three women and even the boy in the buggy are looking at with such contemplation and concentration.

It must just be me then. I just cant see anything appealing in this at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Good shot but I think the woman to the right spoils it somewhat. I prefer the b/w.

• Advertisement

Splinters wrote: »
    It must just be me then. I just cant see anything appealing in this at all.
    no harm there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I must admit I dont understand what you were going for with this. I dont want to offer any c+c as its quite possibly a case of me just not getting it. Can you explain what you think the appeal is of this shot?
    Why is it a good candid portrait?

Im honestly not trying to be awkward, just trying to understand the appeal of it.

Yeah, I'm glad you said you don't understand the appeal of it. I was the same! Its a well known style from many well known "street" photographers. The compositions are a bit messy but somehow it works. If you look on here you'll see some of the same stuff but done way better. Several different elements in a photo together but separate. I hope that makes sense.

Basically its ridiculously arty farty street photography.

was the woman in the foreground standing there - i.e. did you frame the shot with her in it, or did she walk in as you tripped the shutter?

She was walking past but I wanted her in the side of the frame. She's taking up a bit to much but I hate cropping photos more than a little.
    thefizz wrote: »
    I like it. I'm curious as what the three women and even the boy in the buggy are looking at with such contemplation and concentration.

I really don't know. I don't think they were looking at something but thinking about what they were talking about.

Here's a new one:

7983303557_03b0070f67_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think the reason perhaps this kind of thing works for some people is that it is documenting life in its raw state - no garnish, no embelishments - it is as it is. As humans we are curious creatures - possibly more so as photographers. We like looking and watching and have very inquisitive natures. The comments already support that. What were they watching. Reality has its appeal. While obviously it isn't (and not intended to be) particularly pretty, it has a voyeuristic quality which many will enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Looks like the loo roll is for the kid in the buggy. They've had a bad day. I'd like to see it cropped with more emphases on the faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

The woman on the right uses 1/3 of the frame and annihilates the photo... I would crop her slightly above the spectacle frame and a little bit after the ear. Then you'll have a photo with a story where something is happening, something serious that got the grown ups in some sort of trance waiting for the outcome leaving one kid bored waiting, another looking has she was asking "can we go now" the little kid puzzled and the passing by woman rushing with her eyes on the floor trying to go away from the scene. Black and white for me.

Advertisement