Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low QCA & CO-OP

• 12-09-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭

I have co-op next semester but my QCA from 2nd year is only 2.2. Will I even get interviews with a QCA like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I have co-op next semester but my QCA from 2nd year is only 2.2. Will I even get interviews with a QCA like that?

To cut a long story short of course you will.

If there were fierce competition for one job then that might be considered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

ryanf1 wrote: »

Were you doing engineering by any chance last year? We were the worst year ever so you shouldn't be that bad compared to everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Daniel S wrote: »
    Were you doing engineering by any chance last year? We were the worst year ever so you shouldn't be that bad compared to everyone else.
    No i'm Business (Accounting&Finance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

In theory you should be okay.
    but theory a bitch
    Have a little look yourself without the coop notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I had a low enough qca, & got probably the best company going for my co-op,

One lad in our class, had a 4.0 and took him 9 interviews before he got something, I kid you not, it aint all about the grades believe me, Im 32, that helped me, life experience and grown up and reliable, but most of all, company recruiters want somebody that's reliable and can fit in with their current team,

Sell yourself well on your CV, dont worry too much about the grades.

you can be trained on the rest of the stuff

good luck

• Advertisement

I do have a few things on my CV such as im chair of a society that im in and I got interviewed for Deloitte summer internship which is really competitive.
    I posted this last night after being at a meeting with people from the coop office and talking to a few people there that the qca might be important and alot of people had better than me

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GusFring

All accountancy companies are really looking for graduates at the moment. I have no doubt you will get co-op but it may not a Big 4 firm. This is no harm either as you may get a better experience in a smaller firm, plus if they ask you to come back after college they have better starting salaries. Another thing to look into is if you have all your CAP1 exemptions to date, they will be looking at this too.

Well only had1 interview so far but might be able to sort something myself but it's not really an accountancy position or even a specific role at that but I'm afraid if I don't take it I'll be left with nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tablampa

I think you should be fine. They organise a lot of interviews but if you're really worried you could always get in contact with businesses yourself :)

Also, don't worry if it takes a really long time to hear back from somewhere. I only found out about my co op half way through December, and that was for a placement in January. You should be grand.

Only had one interview so far and have organised one myself for next week. To be honest the stories i'm hearing dont give me confidence in the coop office and make me think im better to sort my own anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 nash19

Hey guys I went on Co-op last year and my Qca wasn't the greatest either you just have to stick in there guys, I'd advise ye to keep an open mind I ended up heading over to Mexico in the end to teach english and I had a great time. Remember it's early days yet guys so hopefully all of ye will get something just stick in there, keep an open mind and don't get put off by a few rejections yer UL students ye'll do grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

The interviewer would probably look at the person in front of him and give 90% of the importance of the task of hiring a person to the skills, personality etc etc of that person and allocate about 10% importance on grades, QCA etc

Interviewers want a rounded person who will work well within his organisation and his colleagues rather than a genius with a QCA of 4.0 who wouldn't say boo to a mouse.

Its week 8 and still nothing so looks like it does matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Stuxnet wrote: »
    I had a low enough qca, & got probably the best company going for my co-op,

One lad in our class, had a 4.0 and took him 9 interviews before he got something, I kid you not, it aint all about the grades believe me, Im 32, that helped me, life experience and grown up and reliable, but most of all, company recruiters want somebody that's reliable and can fit in with their current team,

Sell yourself well on your CV, dont worry too much about the grades.

you can be trained on the rest of the stuff

good luck

I got my contract for coop there today and I can assure you my grades did not get me the job either! :D TBH, I'd say I got the best coop possible. :) Interview went down a bomb, doubt I'll ever have an interview as good again!

People tend to whinge about the coop office, they do their best and have so far organised a lot of coop placements for our course. They do seem to have their own secret agenda regarding who they select for interviews, I was very surprised with who I was grouped with in some of my interviews.

If any of you are doing engineering (or a related course like metalwork/woodwork teaching) and think you may have trouble when it comes to coop, have a look at our Formula Student team. Most of my interview was about the experience I had gained as part of the team and it definitely gave me a boost over the other candidates. PM me or anyone on the team if you are interested.

Good luck with coop!

Daniel S wrote: »
    I got my contract for coop there today and I can assure you my grades did not get me the job either! :D TBH, I'd say I got the best coop possible. :) Interview went down a bomb, doubt I'll ever have an interview as good again!

People tend to whinge about the coop office, they do their best and have so far organised a lot of coop placements for our course. They do seem to have their own secret agenda regarding who they select for interviews, I was very surprised with who I was grouped with in some of my interviews.

If any of you are doing engineering (or a related course like metalwork/woodwork teaching) and think you may have trouble when it comes to coop, have a look at our Formula Student team. Most of my interview was about the experience I had gained as part of the team and it definitely gave me a boost over the other candidates. PM me or anyone on the team if you are interested.

Good luck with coop!
    We'll i've only had 2 interviews so far so its hard to know whats going on and even harder to know how they decide groups.
    Im in Business but clubs definately do help, i'm pretty highly involved in them and it gives loads of examples for the interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Just a point to consider, doesn't necessary solve a low QCA issue.

First year doesn't count towards your final QCA, but is important for coop!

Even if you're a business student going on coop for the second half of 3rd year, you still only have 2 years of results when interviewing for coop. Make use of your first year results too!

Advertisement