Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC & Windows 7 - connection dropping every now and then

• 12-09-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has come across a very strange problem I've been experiencing lately.

There are 3 Windows 7 computers, 1 Mac and a few iOS devices in our household (we're four friends sharing the house).

Now, since a couple of months ago all Windows 7 computers lose connection to the Internet at the same time. They're still connected to local network (they can see each others' shared folder) but are unable to access the Internet. The funny thing is that at the same time when the Win 7 machines have the problem, all the iOS devices and my Mac are just fine (enjoying super-fast web browsing)!

There was no problem for many, many months since we switched to UPC but lately it became sort of annoying. It would work for weeks and then it would act up for several consecutive days.

I've contacted UPC support but they weren't able to help. I've checked everything, starting with the modem, cables, network adapter drivers and setting but still no luck finding a permanent solution...

It is most puzzling. If anyone experienced the same and has found a solution please do share it with me!

My speculation would be that UPC is doing some changes in their infrastructure that could affect our area, which was connected about a year ago... But they wouldn't admit this, would they?

Thanks very much.

David.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭ted1

try disabling ipv6.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭relichd

i tried, it's still off but the problem persists. it's really frustrating, because it works no problem for weeks and all of the sudden it acts up for a few days and then it kind of resolves itself and works perfectly for another few weeks...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Broadband's probably a better place for this.

well, i did report this as posted in a wrong place but before any of the mods could remove it, first response arrived. sorry for trouble.

to answer the questions in a closed thread in 'cable tv'.

it's both - wifi (1 laptop and 1 pc) and cable connection (1 pc) to the router. all 3 windows 7 computers but each of them of different make

changing wifi channel on the router solved nothing, tried a few channel in the past few days. since my mac and windows xp laptop (and smartphones) in our house work perfectly over wifi i believe it must be a windows 7 problem...

so far i tried:
    • disabling ipv6
    • disabling the option of system being able to turn off the NIC to save power
    • setting fixed IPs and DNS servers, DHCP IP and fixed DNS server combination and all DHCP setting, to no avail
    • installing updated NIC drivers
    • uninstalling/disabling antivirus/firewall software to eliminate their interference (all 3 2in 7 pcs run the same antivirus/firewall software)
    • rebooting the router several times, rebooting the computers as many times

nothing worked... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Is there any updated motherboard drivers etc.

Im with upc also windows 7 and had no such issues .

all three computers are different hardware configurations, incl. motherboards and network cards...

besides, it really worked fine for a few months, then acted up for a few days, then again it worked perfectly for a month and now it's back to acting up crazily. our area was connected to upc only over a year ago and i know that they were doing some updates to ther infrastructure here not a few weeks back. after which they've doubled our ul/dl speeds. our problem started shortly before the upgrade. we received a new router but this did not solve the issue.

as i said, i'm not really sure what's going on since all the other non-win 7 computers and phones work perfectly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

change the name of the wireless from what you see when you click on wireless connections. So if you go into router settings and change the SSID from linksey or whatever it has to "Mybroadband2012" or something like that it should work fine. Just the shared folders are after messing up the system but should work fine after changing the name. T

Had the same problem but try this first! go to the network and shareing center then change adaptor setting then right click on your wireless and chose properties the chose automatic detect network!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

I had this problem with my upc router. I had an non wireless modem and a wireless router for wireless and it was fine buy i upgraded my package and needed a different modem and they gave me a wireless modem and i gave my wireless router away as i no longer need it. Then this trouble started to happen and i changed the radio frequency from 2.5Ghz to 5Ghz and it sorted the problem with my computer but my Iphone couldn't see the network so i called out and engineer and explained the problem and he told me to buy another wireless router and connect it to the modem for the ios devices in the house and this pissed me off because they they didnt even try to fix the problem

We now have a second UPC modem since the trouble started. I though replacing the modem would do the trick but it didn't.

Also, I use UPC's modem with the Wi-Fi switched off and let a quality router do the job. Unfortunately, my problem is with the wi-fi connected win 7 machines as well as the cable connected one. So I'd guess it's safe to say, the wi-fi is not the problem...

I'm about to email UPC Tech support and describe what I've done so far to try to solve the problem. Hopefully, they would me more helpful this time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement