Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Improvements

• 12-09-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

The double record feature is back. This is where you can schedule to record two programs at once while the box is in standby. This is a very useful feature, I'm glad its back.

The second improvement is, i am now able to get the saorview channels with the UPC RF cable plugged in. Before, I had to plug in a TV aerial to get RTE 2 HD, but about a month ago I noticed them there.

One feature they badly need to bring back and restore is the now and next feature to 24 hours ahead, or at least to 6am in the morning. I hate the way it ends just after midnight as it is too short.

Well done UPC, keep them com'in :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can I just get this straight - are you saying that if I unplug the co-ax from the digital box and plug it straight into my TV and the TV has a digital tuner that I will get the Saorview channels, in particular RTE2 HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

coylemj wrote: »
    Can I just get this straight - are you saying that if I unplug the co-ax from the digital box and plug it straight into my TV and the TV has a digital tuner that I will get the Saorview channels, in particular RTE2 HD?

Yes , as long as the TV has a Digital Terrestrial tuner capable of receiving saorview.

Also, there is not need to unplug the main coax, just use the rf-out on the back of your digital box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tried that but found no digital channels, my TV claims to be MPEG4 DVB-T compatible.

There is no 'RF Out' port on the box, it's a DCI6221UPC made by Thompson.

There is still no On-Demand in my area and we can't get HD or phone so maybe that signal isn't being sent down the wire in my area - southside of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

You can check whether your TV can get Saorview or not by plugging in a TV aerial or cloths hanger(wire not wooden), and do a simple channel scan.

I don't know what UPC has done for us to be able to get Saorview, whether they have just remove interfering signals or boosted them. I would love to know if anybody finds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Bodan wrote: »
    The second improvement is, i am now able to get the saorview channels with the UPC RF cable plugged in. Before, I had to plug in a TV aerial to get RTE 2 HD, but about a month ago I noticed them there.

Noticed this the other day,also got the digital radio stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Tried it there and getting nothing.
    Have a Philips 32PFL5604H. Scanned under Ireland & UK with the UPC cable from the wall plugged into the back of tv. My UPC box does not have an rf out (SD DVR box)...

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

I was setting up a (cheap) Finlux tv,from Harvey Norman.
    At the initial setup,it asked what it should scan for,
    1 Analogue
    2 Digital
    3 Analogue + Digital
    Pressed 3 and while it did take a while to scan,it did find about 19 UPC analogue channels and all the saorview Tv/Radio channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

gar wrote: »
    Tried it there and getting nothing.
    Have a Philips 32PFL5604H. Scanned under Ireland & UK with the UPC cable from the wall plugged into the back of tv. My UPC box does not have an rf out (SD DVR box)...

Gar

Update:

Disconnected UPC cable and inserted an old unshielded coax tv cable into back of tv and hey presto rte 2hd!!
    I wonder if the UPC saorview phenomenon is just the UPC cable acting as an aerial?

Gar

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

gar wrote: »
    I wonder if the UPC saorview phenomenon is just the UPC cable acting as an aerial?

Gar

That's exactly what it would be. UPC don't carry any DVB-T channels on their cable network.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

The customer information announcements from UPC are dreadfull as they never tell you what's happening in different areas and expect all hell to break loose when the switchover starts next month as most people are not up to speed on what will happen.

BTW just noticed that at digital switchover in the North next month the Divis transmitter will be upping the power by up to 40 times the current strength on the new BBCs UTV etc. sure we will be able to pick it up with the olde steel coat hanger!!!

UPC and SKY must be up the walls hoping customers don't cancel their contracts for RTE TV3 Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ballon boy

Do you have any info about the quality/reliability of the bundled packages in the western side of Ballincollig?
    I am looking for some user experience before signing up.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hi Ballon Boy. the first step is to ring UPC on 1908 and ask what is available in your area. Ask is broadband available and what is the maximum speed. Ask is phone available. Ask is TV available and are every channel shown on the website available. Ask is a recording box available.

Post the answers here and we can explain what services are in your area at least. Not every area has every service. For example some areas do not have recording boxes available. Also it would be helpful to know who your current provider is, and if you have looked at Saorview options.

Advertisement