Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC & Windows 7 - connection dropping every now and then

• 12-09-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has come across a very strange problem I've been experiencing lately.

There are 3 Windows 7 computers, 1 Mac and a few iOS devices in our household (we're four friends sharing the house).

Now, since a couple of months ago all Windows 7 computers lose connection to the Internet at the same time. They're still connected to local network (they can see each others' shared folder) but are unable to access the Internet. The funny thing is that at the same time when the Win 7 machines have the problem, all the iOS devices and my Mac are just fine (enjoying super-fast web browsing)!

There was no problem for many, many months since we switched to UPC but lately it became sort of annoying. It would work for weeks and then it would act up for several consecutive days.

I've contacted UPC support but they weren't able to help. I've checked everything, starting with the modem, cables, network adapter drivers and setting but still no luck finding a permanent solution...

It is most puzzling. If anyone experienced the same and has found a solution please do share it with me!

My speculation would be that UPC is doing some changes in their infrastructure that could affect our area, which was connected about a year ago... But they wouldn't admit this, would they?

Thanks very much.

David.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Are they all laptops .....sounds like a WiFi issue to me

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭relichd

One laptop connecting via Wi-Fi, one normal PC connecting via Wi-Fi and one PC with a standard network cable connection to the router. All of them different manufacturers, all of them a different typo of network card.

My Mac and the iOS devices all connect via Wi-Fi but have none of the problems described.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭relichd

Ok, a bit of an update...

All Windows 7 comps have the SP1 installed and IPv6 disabled. Also, I disabled turning off of the network interface card in power management console.

I managed to sneak in a Windows XP laptop. Surprise, surprise, it just works!!!

Makes me wonder why Windows 7 would have problems and Win XP and Mac OS X (and iOS) are ok?

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!

Thanks.

Advertisement