Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importance of optical cables quality

• 12-09-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi

Yesterday my computer crashed a few times without any reason, so to eliminate problems, I cancelled the sync from my ADDA and no more crashes.

As a way of troubleshooting I thought to start by replacing my optical cables from the soundcard to the ADDA.

In maplin they are €20 euro for one cable, which I thought was seriously overpriced.

On this page I see them from €5 - €20. Which one would you go for?
    How important is it? Any other recommendations ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

shayleon wrote: »
    Yesterday my computer crashed a few times without any reason, so to eliminate problems, I cancelled the sync from my ADDA and no more crashes.

Then it's some kind of software problem on your computer, and not the cables. It sounds like the card's drivers are panicking and crashing the computer. Uninstall them, re-install them. It could be another driver clashing - which could be a greater pain in the arse.

Opto electronics are designed to carry signals over tens of miles, cable quality doesn't make a difference over a few feet. But the cables can get cracked, as they're made of glass.

Many thanks KRD. Although you say the problem is software related, you also say that cables can be cracked, so shouldn't I try replacing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

shayleon wrote: »
    Many thanks KRD. Although you say the problem is software related, you also say that cables can be cracked, so shouldn't I try replacing them?

Any chance you can use someone's else cable to see if it makes any difference?
    As krd said, try reinstalling the drivers - which is free.

What you are trying to do now is replacing cable, because connection makes your pc crash, which is not what happens...
    In most cases faulty cable means no connection, so you can rule it out.
    Good luck

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I am afraid new drivers means a big investment in my case since I'm still on XP and Cubase 6 does not officially supports it and my old Creamware Pulsar is running on version 4.5 which doesn't officially supports Windows 7 and... version 5 of it costs over 200 euro ! but what you say makes sense, so I'll leave the cables alone.
    cheers.
    S

• Advertisement
Advertisement