Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish online petitions MIGHT have some effect soon - I say MIGHT!

• 12-09-2012 10:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

THE HOUSES OF the Oireachtas is to launch a public petitions system tomorrow that will allow members of the public to take their policy concerns directly to an Oireachtas committee.
    The Oireachtas Public Petitions System is to be launched by a cross-party group of TDs and Senators in Ballymun, north Dublin tomorrow.

http://www.thejournal.ie/oireachtas-panel-findings-593539-Sep2012/

It looks like we are adopting a similar system to England.
    On-line petitions or other ways similar?

I would petition for Fathers rights to be speeded up and after something like 17+ years, see something done and complete - not just as now, continue the endless waffle and research, but no parties so far reaching an end!

What would ye all petition for?

Come on... make us laugh After Hours! ;)

More Jellybabies for all? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

No property tax + constitutional amendment to ban anything remotely resembling a property tax from ever being brought in

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

eth0 wrote: »
    No property tax + constitutional amendment to ban anything remotely resembling a property tax from ever being brought in

Area man in doesn't want to pay more tax shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'd petition to ban online petitions.

Area man in doesn't want to pay more tax shocker.

What? havn't a square foot of land to my name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Make weed freely available..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd petition to ban online petitions.

Even if one was calling for faster broadband? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Sharks with laser beams.

Biggins wrote: »
    Even if one was calling for faster broadband? :D

Only want faster upload speed, IPv6 and an end to the censorship/spying nonsense. Download speed is grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Cork24 wrote: »
    Make weed freely available..

Make weed compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cant wait to see this go live. I'll write a bot which automatically signs thousands of names for whatever cause I want. Topless six one news maybe(when Sharon is presenting)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

Its a way to stop people protesting..... Lets do a petition first and see what happens!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The cynic in me sees this idea as being nothing more than a way to shut people up. As long as everyone feels their concerns are being listened to; there'll be no reason for them to keep going on about them.

There's no need for a petition system in Ireland.. we have plenty enough TD's to take our concerns on board and deal with them accordingly. This will just be a monumental waste of time, and of course money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

syklops wrote: »
    Cant wait to see this go live. I'll write a bot which automatically signs thousands of names for whatever cause I want. Topless six one news maybe(when Sharon is presenting)?

BOTs lol their a thig of the past,,

Why write a bit when you can find your self cheap workers to act like bots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

complete waste of time imo, as all the suggestions via petitions can and probably will be ignored.
    nothing but an excuse for another Oireachtas Committee for TDs and their buddies to use to further line their pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Give unmarried fathers who truly want to be involved in their childs life some basic rights and legal responsibilities.
    It is the SINGLE biggest systematic disgrace in this country today.
    Smarter people than me can sort out the nuances of changing how the system works but I know for a fact there is a better way to treat fathers, mothers and more importantly the children than the way it is now.
    BIOLOGICAL FATHERS HAVE NO BASIC RIGHT TO SEE THEIR CHILD IN IRELAND TODAY, IT'S INSANE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I would petition for Fathers rights to be speeded up and after something like 17+ years, see something done and complete - not just as now, continue the endless waffle and research, but no parties so far reaching an end!

What would ye all petition for?

More Jellybabies for all? :D

Fathers rights for jellybabies? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Dear Td's,

I would like to petition for the Irish Negotiating team with the Troika to consist of the following members-
    • Richie Kavangh
    • Jedward
    • Brendan Grace (dressed as bottler)
    • Shane McGowan
    • Twink
    I earnestly believe they could not fcuk things up as much as the dept of Finance. Furthermore, I think we should dig up Dev and bring him along to make up for him wussing out big time during the Anglo-Irish Treay negotiations.

Yours etc.

Mr. Gee Bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd like to see a 66% income tax rate for people on over €250,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

You know, if we added some sort of vote facility to this petition system we could probably vote electronically ... sounds like a plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I'd like to see a 66% income tax rate for people on over €250,000 a year.
    People at the higher income bracket get taxed enough as it is. There is a bit of a European brain drain to the US because of how tax is already collected in Europe today, quite simply, it would be detrimental to raise tax any higher, in the private sector anyway.

Ireland has enough tax money to run a decent state, we just need to be more efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd petition to bring in a progressive and fair property tax

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

and it here is http://petitions.oireachtas.ie lame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I look forward to seeing what nonsense slips through here, are they being vetted before going live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

This is actually a very clever cost saving measure. Instead of employing several people to sort out all the incoming petition letters before carting them off to the recycling bins they can just employ one person who sits there pressing the delete button.

the committe which has met 4 times in a year went to scotland to see how there system worked compare and contrast with scotland http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/gettinginvolved/petitions/ViewPetitions.aspx

the US https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/ and the uk http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/

ours is just an online form you upload and excel file to

Just to be clear, if the Irish version is like the British one, it means that when there is enough support, a petition for a subject will be accepted and its topic will then be forced (apparently) to be discussed in the Dail.

Topics which government heads have being ducking/shying away from, who will be forced to come up with answers, will be brought to further mainstream public attention - and if they (T.D.'s) don't answer or they are noticeable by their absence during something which is in their normal departmental remit - the voters later then if they have a good memory, can show their dissatisfaction at election time!

Just to be clear, if the Irish version is like the British one, it means that when there is enough support, a petition for a subject will be accepted and its topic will then be forced (apparently) to be discussed in the Dail.

Topics which government heads have being ducking/shying away from, who will be forced to come up with answers, will be brought to further mainstream public attention - and if they (T.D.'s) don't answer or they are noticeable by their absence during something which is in their normal departmental remit - the voters later then if they have a good memory, can show their dissatisfaction at election time!

but it isn't like the british one

http://petitions.oireachtas.ie/online_petitions.nsf/PetitionForm?openform&type=faq&lang=EN&r=0.688517586022736 faq

the committee will look at them and might do something might not

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

syklops wrote: »
    if this is possible the petition is not worth a sh1te.

might have to input pps number perhaps.

but it isn't like the british one

http://petitions.oireachtas.ie/online_petitions.nsf/PetitionForm?openform&type=faq&lang=EN&r=0.688517586022736

the committee will look at them and might do something might not
    ...Well IF its like that, it might just be a complete load of political bollox!
    The sort of typical thing I would sadly expect from those set in their old ways!

• Advertisement

there are some 15 petitions up there now but don't republish any of the detail that they were asked to give

there are some 15 petitions up there now but don't republish any of the detail that they were asked to give

Check that out and you right - there is nothing to say/explain what is the actual content.
    How is one supposed to support/disagree with something if you don't know the details?

Not the fault of the creator of the petitioner - the fault of those running the site and its structure/ability to show detail.

Maybe the government wants us to know as little as detail as possible?
    No, they would never be that sneaky!

Advertisement