Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lease

Options
  • 12-09-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been answered before but a trawl though threads did not answer my specific question.
    I have been renting the same house since 2008, I signed a 1 year lease then and then a subsequent one about 14 months later, again for a year. Nothing since in terms of paperwork but have had inspections to the property in the meantime.
    The agent is now asking me do I want to sign a new lease, the question is do I lose anything by signing a new lease having not had one for a number of years? From what I can see I don't except committing to the agreed rent for a further period but I'm hoping I'm not missing anything. I don't want to move house but if I'm setting something back to day one renting I may as well think about moving

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

When you don't sign a new lease at the end of a fixed term lease, you go onto a Part 4 lease.

The disadvantages of a Part 4 lease is that the landlord can ask you to leave (i.e. evict the tenant) under 6 grounds, two of which are, firstly, if the landlord wants the property for his own use or that of a close relative and secondly, if he intends to sell the property in the next 3 months.
    The advantage of a Part 4 tenancy for a tenant is that he may leave (vacate) at any time without reason by giving the appropriate amount of written notice and without having to find a replacement tenant.

However, at the end of 4 years in a property, (either with a fixed term lease or Part 4 lease) a tenancy becomes a Further Part 4 tenancy, and under Part 4 rights, if the new agreement is a Further Part 4, the landlord is a liberty to evict the tenant without reason during the first six months of a "Further Part 4" tenancy.

If you sign a new fixed term lease, both you and the landlord are fixed into it for the duration of the lease (usually 1 year). However, a tenant can "get out" of a fixed term lease by assigning the remainder (with the landlord's permission) to a new tenant who is acceptable to the landlord.

Basically, rent reviews are permissible once a year, usually coming into force at the start of a new lease, but could be mid term (easy with a Part 4 lease, difficult with a fixed term lease).

The choice is up to the tenant, who must consider his own personal circumstances - is he likely to want to leave during the following year or does he want the relative safety and security of a fixed term lease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

You are probably coming up towards the end of your part 4 tenancy which lasts 4 years. You don't need to sign any leases outside of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look on Daft.ie to see how much rents are near you. If they're less, try to get a rent reduction.

Advertisement