Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In defence of Bikers

• 12-09-2012 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Motorcyclists in Ireland often get treated like absolute dirt by some vehicle drivers on Irish roads particularly taxis.

I've been witness motorcyclists suffering intimidation who were forced off the road by a maniac caged drivers.

Motorcyclists don't even have the privilege of any designated lane, even bus lanes which are often vacant, they are forced to filter through traffic with idiots opening doors and also having to avoid cyclists that refuse to use designated lanes.

A lot of cage drivers take absolutely no precautions towards bikers and fail to treat a fellow road user as they would someone driving a cage.

Anyway its high time Bikers were treated with a bit of respect and understanding in Ireland.

BTW Bikers have now to put up with all sorts of fascist EU regulations unlike cyclists.

And those central median "cheese graters" that only Bikers have to fear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Agreed.

But....
    And I say this as the proud owner of an XL600V...

There are a lot of complete nut jobs out there on bikes that drive like absolute cúnts!

Because I own a bike, when I'm in the tin can going to work I keep an eye out and try to give bikers space wherever I can.
    But some of these fúckers are just nuts! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Great bunch of lads, havn't a bad word to say about em.

Anyone who complains about bikers or wants to see their pastime further oppressed by government is a gobsh1te of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Motorcyclists in Ireland often get treated like absolute dirt by some vehicle drivers on Irish roads particularly taxis.

I've been witness motorcyclists suffering intimidation who were forced off the road by a maniac caged drivers.

Motorcyclists don't even have the privilege of any designated lane, even bus lanes which are often vacant, they are forced to filter through traffic with idiots opening doors and also having to avoid cyclists that refuse to use designated lanes.

A lot of cage drivers take absolutely no precautions towards bikers and fail to treat a fellow road user as they would someone driving a cage.

Anyway its high time Bikers were treated with a bit of respect and understanding in Ireland.

BTW Bikers have now to put up with all sorts of fascist EU regulations unlike cyclists.

"Cage" driver? Lots of sharks on the M50 alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Agreed.

But....
    And I say this as the proud owner of an XL600V...

There are a lot of complete nut jobs out there on bikes that drive like absolute cúnts!

Because I own a bike, when I'm in the can going to work I keep an eye out and try to give bikers space where I can.
    But some of these fúckers are just nuts! :eek:
    Oil cooled GZXR 750 L and Bros 400 here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I was in Kerry recently and was delighted to see a group of bikers driving within the speed limit, I'm always conscious of bikers when out driving.
    However there's a group of bikers who use my local road most Sundays and they're bloody nuts, I've no idea how there hasn't been a serious accident yet. Not long ago I was riding my horse on the road and the bikers gave absolutely no consideration, my horse spooked and I came off, she's usually very quiet and use to traffic.
    There is s minority group of bikers that give the majority a bad name in saying that I've seen less bikers speeding lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

It's those Charlie's Angles I don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

...they're called cars.

It's like you want motorists to hate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

No issue with motorcyclists at all. Their cool, keep themselves to themselves.
    It's those push-bike cyclists you have to look out for. Their sooo annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Bikers have now to put up with all sorts of fascist EU regulations unlike cyclists.

Any details as to what horrors Oberst-Gruppenführer Barroso has inflicted upon you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Especially when they cycle on some of the most dangerous, narrow, bendy roads, 2 abreast or worse still, when they're so unfit they can barely make it up a hill on a narrow, bendy road and you're stuck behind them infatuated with the way in which their arse moves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Bikers in Ireland should really attach a skull to their handlebars and have a face that screams death metal. Then there'll be no messin' I tell ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bikers?

Right turn Clyde!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seen a guy txting while on a motorbike a while back, while cycling or driving and doing it is stupid doing it at 60kph on a bike with essentially leather protecting you is dumb.

In saying that I'd love a Harley :(

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

It's those Charlie's Angles I don't like.

That's right, they're an obscure bunch alright. Very obtuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I absolutely love blocking off their cycle lane when I get stuck in traffic and they have to actually obey traffic lights for a change.

Although I did feel sorry for one girl a few days ago who was looking to cross over from the lane veering left to the lane going straight on. Nobody would let her cross over the lane while she had her arm out and she ended up getting stuck and had to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

I like bikers

Its those damn kids out on there Pogo sticks that grind my gears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You do know motor cyclists are not really meant to weave through traffic and they are never "forced" to. Its a risk taken when you're impatient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Bikers who take it easy, no problem. Bikers who speed and weave in and out of traffic while doing so can fúck right off. But you can say the same of careless drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I would fancy a bike but I won't get one while living in Ireland. The roads I drive on are appalling. Silly bends, narrow roads, bad/dangerous motorists, wet weather, terrible surfaces, pot holes everywhere. Every time I get behind the wheel of my car I feel pain for my tyres. Paying road tax disgusts me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Quorum wrote: »
    Bikers who take it easy, no problem. Bikers who speed and weave in and out of traffic while doing so can fúck right off. But you can say the same of careless drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.

Admit it, you're just pi$$ed you have to sit in rotten traffic while bikers get to the top of queue every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Remember a time when bikers held you up in city centre traffic?
    Nope, you can't remember a time as it never happened

If every biker in Ireland decided to take the cage to work tomorrow the traffic would crawl, they are doing you a favor!

Get out your cage, get a bike

Doesn't have to be a big bike, starting off on a 50cc scooter is a good way to start :cool:

You do know motor cyclists are not really meant to weave through traffic and they are never "forced" to. Its a risk taken when you're impatient.

Filtering is not weaving and its actually a part of the Garda safe pass course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Shryke wrote: »
    I would fancy a bike but I won't get one while living in Ireland. The roads I drive on are appalling. Silly bends, narrow roads, bad/dangerous motorists, wet weather, terrible surfaces, pot holes everywhere. Every time I get behind the wheel of my car I feel pain for my tyres. Paying road tax disgusts me.
    Sounds like you've been had. There's no such thing as road tax in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hear Hear that Man !!!

Some really interesting stuff on this Irish Solicitors website....

http://www.motorbikelaw.ie/how-to-stay-safe/who-is-at-fault/

This caught my eye...
    Interestingly, drivers of other vehicles who are also licensed to ride a motorbike are less likely to overlook a motorbike indicating that it is indeed a problem of awareness of motorbikes on the road.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

phasers wrote: »
    ...they're called cars.

It's like you want motorists to hate you.

he can call them whatever he wants:rolleyes:

the fact that car drivers tend to view themselves as immortal when driving particularly towards bikers shows they dont care if the bikers hate them.

only this morning i had some clown think twice about pulling out in front of me only to just bleedin to it!! i had to jam on. had i been in car he would not have pulled out

When I started on a bike I lacked confidence

And every day I see scooter riders in the cycle lane, in the gutter!

If you do that on a narrow road you are daring cage drivers to squeeze past you, almost brush your sleeze.

Have some confidence, get out of the gutter, defensive riding and take the lane.

If you are in the lane you own it, don't let anyone squeeze past you

Lack of confidence = no respect

And take some professional lessons, I recommend Dave Lyons in Wicklow and Dublin
    I won't link as that would seem as schilling but have a browse of motorcycle forum and he is highly recommended.
    Gets my vote too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Motorist wrote: »
    Admit it, you're just pi$$ed you have to sit in rotten traffic while bikers get to the top of queue every time.

I don't drive, I cycle. :cool: See you at the top of the queue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Shryke wrote: »
    Sounds like you've been had. There's no such thing as road tax in this country.

You know motor tax? That's road tax, same thing. And you know what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That motorbikes are allowed on roads is utterly and totally farcical.
    We have safety standards for cars. I wonder what NCAP rating a motorbike has?

To be entirely fair it's mostly the motorcyclists themselves who are in danger but having such an inherently unsafe device allowed on the roads is insane.

I wouldn't be surprised if in my lifetime humans are banned from driving altogether in favour of automated transportation. Motorbikes will probably be scrapped long before that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Use of the term 'cage drivers' makes it hard to feel any empathy towards you OP or to kidney donors in general.

Gbear wrote: »

To be entirely fair it's mostly the motorcyclists themselves who are in danger but having such an inherently unsafe device allowed on the roads is insane.

I wouldn't be surprised if in my lifetime humans are banned from driving altogether in favour of automated transportation. Motorbikes will probably be scrapped long before that.

Would you ban pedestrians and cyclists from the roads too? And how about buses and larger vehicles given how dangerous they are to cars.

Kidney donars, jaysus

And you talk about understanding GH........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Oh dear, this is going to end well.

One thing I will say that is going to come up probably every second post on this page, filtering is legal. Filtering also known as "skipping ahead", "skipping the queue", "weaving dangerously" etc.

It's funny that this thread should come up today. My boyfriend and I drove into town earlier and turned up a side street (narrow with a very narrow walk way either side, with those big black poles every few feet) behind a people carrier taxi. About half way up this side street the taxi driver stops, no indicator, no magical "I can park wherever I like" hazard lights, nothing, just stops dead and gets out of the taxi. He walked around the back of the taxi and before my boyfriend could even say anything, he said to my boyfriend "don't go getting narky now, I'm letting a family out here, you'll just have to wait". Would he have said that to a person driving a car? No way. We were able to squeeze by the taxi through the narrow walk way while the taxi driver shouted at us "****ing bikers, think you own the road". No idea who pissed is in his cornflakes but this is the typical attitude of other road users towards bikers. When they want you to filter they'll tell you (why thank you sir) but when they don't want you to filter they'll bitch about you on the internet or else take the usual action on the road and try to cut you off. Do other road users think it's safe to move out in front of a motorbike when they see it filtering legally? Because that's what I experience on the road everyday when I ride my bike and that's what my boyfriend has experienced for the last 20 years of riding bikes.

Anyone remember the ad campaign that was run in Australia encouraging car drivers to open car doors on bikers to stop them illegally filtering (filtering is illegal in Australia)? That is the attitude towards bikers. We're such a stain on society that you can injure us any way you please.

I was hit by a van 5 months ago. The driver looked in my direction and when I was 2-3 metres away from his van he pulled out of a side road while looking in the other direction. I was driving 40kms under the speed limit, the car ahead of me was taking a left turn. The van driver hit me and drove me and my bike over the centre wire barriers and down the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic. This is what it's like to drive a bike. Ask any biker on bikes a few years and unfortunately they will probably have a similar story to tell you.

Less than 1% of motorcycle accidents are caused by vehicle fault Gbear, get your facts straight. You'll also find that the majority of bikers take great pride in their bikes and the maintenance and upkeep of them, more so than other vehicle owners.

Kidney donors?? It's amazing that it's the year 2012 and people are still so clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Gbear wrote: »

go bite the butt end of my hairy biker balls

car drivers should be aware - at all times , not fixing hair or doing make up , reading a paper or steering with their knees
    i have seen this and one hundred times worse

worst crash i had on a bike was caused by a car stopping in the middle lane of a 3 lane road , letting a passenger out , just as i passed on the inside lane turning left - straight out in front of me - opened the door in my path - never checked her mirrors and should not have been stopped in the first place - fu2ked me up big style

bikers would be a lot safer if car drivers actually used mirrors and indicators once in a while

i survived 13 years a courier in Dublin - i could pen a book on some of the stuff i have seen on Dublin's roads

its the car drivers 99% of the time , trust me on this one
    why should i leave the road just because car drivers are lazy assed motherfu2ckers ? learn how to drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Kidney donars, jaysus

And you talk about understanding GH........

It was intentional to highlight how RTDH and other bikers use perjorative and demeaning language towards motorists and yet whine that motorists are not courteous to them.

I also met with the NHSBT in the UK recently and they informed me that motorcyclists are a key source of raw materials for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

It was intentional to highlight how RTDH and other bikers use perjorative and demeaning language towards motorists and yet whine that motorists are not courteous to them.

I also met with the NHSBT in the UK recently and they informed me that motorcyclists are a key source of raw materials for them.

this is very true - story once told - a guy waiting for a liver donor , he asks the surgeon how long does he have to wait ? gets the answer " its raining so about a hour " they did not call a ward in vincents the honda ward for nothing

the amount of bikers i have seen in hospital far out numbers any other member of a social group -

but these accidents are mostly caused by the negligence of others = dont go crapping on bikers :D

Oh I believe this

Maybe we can declare a ceasefire on the cage and kidney donar comments. :)

But seeing as bikers are 2% of traffic it's not exactly a fair deal or one that will stop one side being shouted down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And those central median "cheese graters" that only Bikers have to fear.
    Maybe if the (seemingly) majority of them didn't drive like idiots, they'd get more respect. As an example, pretty much every day I see a motorbike pass between 2 cars on the motorway as one overtakes the other, absolute stupidity

In two-thirds of motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle rider's right of way and caused the accident. Motorcyclists are about 26 times more likely to die in a crash than someone riding in a passenger car, and are 5 times as likely to be injured. Per mile travelled, motorcyclists were about 16 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die, and about 3 times as likely to be injured, in a motor vehicle crash.

70% per cent of collisions occur at intersections.

Motorist wrote: »
    70% per cent of collisions occur at intersections.

So bloody true. How hard is it to look both ways and actually see?

• Advertisement

So bloody true. How hard is it to look both ways and actually see?

Very poor driver education also plays a part. In EDT during the brief lesson on observation, a fleeting one word reference is made to watch out for hazards such as motorcyclists.

There are all kinds of theories as to what makes car drivers so blind such as Inattentional Blindness and only looking for other cars (similar to the video where you count the number of basketball passes while a conspicuous gorrilla walks by in the background). Also it has been shown that more experienced drivers (age 40-50) are more likely to crash at intersections which may be because they have become so adept at scanning for other cars only.

Separately the RSA should have driver education videos such as below. Seems they are still hopelessly trying to teach people basics such as keep left on a motorway, or how to use a roundabout though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o-u0RFtyGY&feature=related

I do think car drivers just look for other cars or larger vehicles and when they don't see one they assume the way is clear. My accident is evidence of that, the guy looked and pulled out anyway. I'd love to see driving simulators introduced here as a way to put people in real life situations so they learn their actions have real consequences. I've lost count of the amount of times another road user has looked at me like I just removed an invisibility cloak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Will everybody please just chill out.
    FFS if people learned to drive properly there would be no issues here.
    And anyway why do people care if a biker filters through the traffic? They're not gonna hold you up and it will make SFA difference to your journey time.
    I'm not a biker myself and I honestly couldn't give a **** if they're ahead of me in traffic, sometimes I lend them a hand because I'm nice.

I used to suffer horrible road rage, but now I don't even blow the horn anymore if someone pulls out in front of me. It only happened when my driving improved to the point that I easily anticipated other peoples actions and started driving defensively.
    Chill out, drivings meant to be fun and it is when you learn how to do it properly.

somefeen wrote: »
    I used to suffer horrible road rage, but now I don't even blow the horn anymore if someone pulls out in front of me. It only happened when my driving improved to the point that I easily anticipated other peoples actions and started driving defensively.
    Chill out, drivings meant to be fun and it is when you learn how to do it properly.

Unfortunately some drivers are terribly inept, lack confidence (with good reason) and are purely ignorant of basic rules of the road. Remember FF TD Mattie McGrath arguing that drink driving was good because it calmed down "nervous and jumpy" drivers :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

in what way is 'cage' demeaning exactly:confused::confused:

i absolutely believe that bikers supply a fair amount of 'raw materials' as you so crudely put it but i would be fairly confident that in the vast majority of these instances careless cage drivers are the reason

Use of the term 'cage drivers' makes it hard to feel any empathy towards you OP or to kidney donors in general.
    A quite a large percentage of bikers are closet cagers. :p

Go to any MCC Rally on a pis*ing g wet weekend and you will see. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

somefeen wrote: »
    And anyway why do people care if a biker filters through the traffic?
    Never understood that myself. Every single day someone deliberately pulls over to try to stop me getting passed them in stationary traffic.

Few weeks ago a twat in a Subaru (I knew it was a subaru cause it was written on it about 50 times) pulled over to the edge of his lane to block me and continued to pull over on top of me when I was alongside him. Actually could have killed me and was well aware of what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

ride a bike for a few days and then you will understand the term full well.

You are so exposed on a bike that you have to experience it to believe it.

until then educate yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

I absolutely love blocking off their cycle lane when I get stuck in traffic and they have to actually obey traffic lights for a change.
    Ironic that, considering that motorbikes are not allowed in bus or cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

And anyways motorcycles are going to become alot more popular!

i save a fortune on petrol!

• Advertisement
Advertisement