Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In defence of Bikers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I would never condone most of the treatment of bikers I've heard about on this thread, violence is just not acceptable. As a driver, I've had very very few bad experiences with them. They don't constantly break lights like cyclists do, they don't come across as aggressive.
    In fact the only incident that springs to mind was when I was coming down the M1 last week and this gobshíte decided to drive in the middle of the overtaking lane going at 3/4 the speed limit. Could have throttled him.
    Apart from that my only gripe is the sheer noise of some bikes. I live beside a busy road, and while I've managed to block out most car noises, the bikes still wake me regularly. Is it really that necessary to make them so obnoxiously loud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Faolchu wrote: »
    really i hadnt realised after 20 + years of driving that i should be between the white lines, well i never I'll try remember that in teh future any more hints and tips on good driving? maybe as a car driver i can also try squeeze between lanes just because i want to get some place faster, i mean if its ok for a bike to ignore lanes, solid white lines and actually side of the road they travel on why shhouldnt everyone. just so they can get there faster :rolleyes:

And this is the kind of attitude that causes the problem on the roads. I really don't see why car drivers would have this attitude towards the bikers.

I am both and even before I was a biker I had awareness and allowed the bikes to overtake and give them space. Really don't see the point in car drivers moving towards the centre lane as soon as they see you approaching.

I have to say I've come across all sorts. For me there are 3 classes of car drivers:

1. Oblivious ones - ones that drive along thinking they are the only ones on the road.
    2. Arsh**** - ones that are likely to move towards centre lane just cos they see you coming or drive on the inside of you while you are holding the proper road position so the truck in front can see you or ones that will cut you off just so they would be in front of you on traffic lights.
    3. Considerate - Normal road users who are aware of their surroundings and limitations.

I must say that car drivers are not the only ones with the issue. Bikers have their part to play and I have seen many who do not ride with due care. For example:

1. Filtering while traffic is moving and filtering in the manner that no other road user can predict what side they will show up on next.
    2. Overtaking or could be called filtering on the cycle lane located beside the footpath (inside of the cars) especially coming up to the traffic lights.
    3. Excessive speeding
    4. No high viz equipment and no lights on.
    5. Tailgating trucks / buses without the front driver ever having a change to even know they were there...

We both have a part to play on the road and if we were all considerate and paid attention a lot less issues would be around.

When the biker is on the red light in front of you, don't try to overtake the minute green light comes on, it is likely the biker will be gone out of your sight in next 10-50sec anyway. What's the hurry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Apart from that my only gripe is the sheer noise of some bikes. I live beside a busy road, and while I've managed to block out most car noises, the bikes still wake me regularly. Is it really that necessary to make them so obnoxiously loud?

The noise of my bike has saved me on more than one occasion. You would be surprised how many people do not see you despite lights, high viz jackets and so on. Quite a few will hear you!

But I can sympathise with the noise issue of the houses along busy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

Not a fan of bikers myself.
    Most of them think car drivers should bow to their mortality, even if they are driving like pricks.
    Different story with female bikers, i've yet to come across a female biker that drives like a twat.

Why thank you, kind Sir. :)
    Yep totally agree i wonder why that is considering the opposite holds true to driving actual road vehicles ;)

Usually too busy talking to their passenger. Thus, driving at 40 kph in an 80 limit is a perfectly valid method of keeping the conversation going. Anyway, the car knows its way home, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Really don't see the point in car drivers moving towards the centre lane as soon as they see you approaching.

i dont recall ever saying anything about pulling in and cutting him off. I was stopped in traffic and a light he came from about 6 cars behind me and trieds to squeeze into a gap that was impossible for him to fit into, teh car to my left had his right indicator on signalling he intended to change lanes and move in either infront or behind me yet the biker felt it was his right to do just got straight up teh middle, took the mirror off my car and fecked off up teh road without stopping. this sint teh first and i would put money on it not teh last time i'll see that behaviour by a biker on teh road. likewise ive seen idiot drivers turning without looking for a biker, opening doors etc. its pure lunacy.

in general if i see a bike i move over a little to give them space to filter through especially when i'm moving slower due to traffic levels but they shouldnt automatically assume they can just shoot on through any gap without due consideration.
    2. Overtaking or could be called filtering on the cycle lane located beside the footpath (inside of the cars) especially coming up to the traffic lights.

does my nut in especially approaching a turn. im pretty sure they can see the turn signal flashing but doesnt stop some of them coming up teh inside anyway, cyclists too. bloody hate making left turns when theres a cycle lane there for this reason. i always always tripple check my blind spot when doing that

5. Tailgating trucks / buses without the front driver ever having a change to even know they were there...

i did once have teh pleasure of seeing a biker and on a seperate occasion a cyclist hit teh back of a bus because of this behaviour, they were not just shooting up teh inside but actually swapping from left to right as they moved. teh cyclist was teh funniest i have to say

I've never actually seen someone use "teh" in a serious post.:confused:

I've never actually seen someone use "teh" in a serious post.:confused:

ever considered the fact that someone may be dsylexic? not everyone is a genius like you. I'll remember to bow to your superiour knowledge of spelling and the fact that your brain is wired a little different from mine

ever considered the fact that someone may be dsylexic? not everyone is a genius like you. I'll remember to bow to your superiour knowledge of spelling and the fact that your brain is wired a little different from mine

I didn't realise, sorry wasn't having a pop at you.

I didn't realise, sorry wasn't having a pop at you.

no worries, its the one word that even if i concentrate on when typing my brain will not allow me to type it correctly.

no worries, its the one word that even if i concentrate on when typing my brain will not allow me to type it correctly.

Well you have educated me to that fact.

• Advertisement

Well you have educated me to that fact.

if only i could right some more wrongs, think I'll go to the Quinn rally this weekend and knock some heads together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

i don't get this false dichotomy that's being set up. I drive a bike and a car, not usually at the same time. The real division is between asshóles and normal people. my experience is that there a lot the former on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

bluefinger wrote: »
    i don't get this false dichotomy that's being set up. I drive a bike and a car, not usually at the same time. The real division is between asshóles and normal people. my experience is that there a lot the former on the roads.

that is what i have been doing wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

rubadub wrote: »
    wow, way to miss the point...

wow , way to really miss the point - if this keeps going we could open up a black hole of ignorance and suck the known world into a vortex of **** - careful now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

FatherLen wrote: »
    you are everything that is wrong with road users today, an ignorant, mindless attitude that just oozes an air of hatred and idiocy. i can honestly say i am disgusted by your comment.

great post, if i could thank you twice, i would.

Thanks Father :P
    I would never condone most of the treatment of bikers I've heard about on this thread, violence is just not acceptable. As a driver, I've had very very few bad experiences with them. They don't constantly break lights like cyclists do, they don't come across as aggressive.
    In fact the only incident that springs to mind was when I was coming down the M1 last week and this gobshíte decided to drive in the middle of the overtaking lane going at 3/4 the speed limit. Could have throttled him.

Loud pipes save lives. Other road users say they can't see us, well then they'll hear us.

Recently bought a new helmet, it's fairly colourful. I was filtering up through heavy traffic today and was stopped waiting on a gap to widen and this lad in a car says to me "that helmet is very distracting" I started laughing because I thought he had to be joking. No, deadly serious, said to me it would distract other road users and would I not get a black one?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Use of the term 'cage drivers' makes it hard to feel any empathy towards you OP or to kidney donors in general.

'Cage' is a reference to the vehicle, not the driver. It's not meant as an insult. It highlights one of the key differences between car & bike drivers. In the car, you are surrounded by a 'cage' which gives a false sense of security and reduces visibility. On a bike, you are so much more aware of how easy accidents can occur, and how vulnerable you are.

..speaking in very general terms of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Thanks Father :P
    Loud pipes save lives. Other road users say they can't see us, well then they'll hear us.

Recently bought a new helmet, it's fairly colourful. I was filtering up through heavy traffic today and was stopped waiting on a gap to widen and this lad in a car says to me "that helmet is very distracting" I started laughing because I thought he had to be joking. No, deadly serious, said to me it would distract other road users and would I not get a black one?!

That sounds like a fantastic fcuking helmet then. If they are slightly distracted by it they will notice it :) Got a picture of it?

I think part of the problem is all the distractions that can occur in cars. Fiddling with radio stations/cd players/air conditioning, talking with passengers, mobile phone conversations or text messaging or trying to view SatNav screens.

Combined with the reduced visibility inherent to car designs, it's no wonder that many car drivers just don't see the bikes.

To ALL drivers, I would just ask...please check your mirrors and do a 'life saver' glance over your shoulder before changing lane, lane position or executing any turns.
    And please please do not perform an unannounced u-turn as soon as you hit a bit of traffic. It's terrifying when legally filtering traffic and a vehicle suddenly does a u-turn 10 meters ahead of you!

To Gardai...thanks to most of you for turning a blind eye to bikers in bus lanes. They really are the safest place for us to drive and we thank you for recognising this (dear politicians, please make this legal...we don't impede buses/taxi's in any way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I try to be considerate when a biker comes up behind me on a road,I'll either nudge in a bit to let him by or indicate to let him know the road ahead is clear for him to overtake.
    Only had one bad incident with a biker,I had indicated to overtake a slow moving car & as I pulled out a bike shot out from behind a van a couple of car lengths behind me & I nearly took him out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

.Combined with the reduced visibility inherent to car designs, it's no wonder that many car drivers just don't see the bikes.
    Visibility is certainly important, but wouldn't it be help more if motorcyclists observed important points of road traffic law, such as keeping within the speed limit, staying out of bus and cycle lanes and overtaking correctly? If they took their place in line with all the other motor vehicles, instead of tryng to overtake all the time, often over the white line or in the wrong lane, it would be safer for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

dj jarvis wrote: »

but these accidents are mostly caused by the negligence of others = dont go crapping on bikers :D

This is about the size of it. I've been riding motorbikes for 8 years now without any major incident (thank fcuk). But I've had three very close calls in that time and each and every one was due to drivers making an manoevre without looking in their wing mirror. I drive the bike with my thumb constantly hovering over the horn and am ready to use it in an instant- doing so has saved my ass as the cars swerve back from where they came from as soon as they know they're about to knock me off.

The most common answer motorists give to cops asking questions after they knock a motorcyclist down is "he came out of no-where'. Well no, I'm sorry, that is just beyond physics- he had to have come out of somewhere- they just didn't check their mirrors before they made a move.

(Some) car drivers really need to be more aware of what is going on around them. Us bikers don't have a cage around us to protect us, if we are knocked off a bike and run over there is a good chance you will maim us or even worse- kill us. Or you could throw us off the bike for some other poor unfortunate motorist to run us over and kill us- not something anyone wants on their conscience for the rest of their lives.

So motorists please think.

RATM wrote: »
    But I've had three very close calls in that time and each and every one was due to drivers making an manoevre without looking in their wing mirror.
    Were you overtaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Seen a biker fly over his handle bars after a passenger in a car open their door. Biker wasnt hurt badly but the image of the guy in the air has been burned onto my brain.

As a result I am very weary of motorcyclists when Im driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Seen a biker fly over his handle bars after a passenger in a car open their door. Biker wasnt hurt badly but the image of the guy in the air has been burned onto my brain.

As a result I am very weary of motorcyclists when Im driving

To be fair, that's both their faults. The passenger for not looking and the biker for not giving enough clearance. (unless the car was not parked at the side of the road and was just sitting in traffic.

opti0nal wrote: »
    Visibility is certainly important, but wouldn't it be help more if motorcyclists observed important points of road traffic law, such as keeping within the speed limit, staying out of bus and cycle lanes and overtaking correctly? If they took their place in line with all the other motor vehicles, instead of tryng to overtake all the time, often over the white line or in the wrong lane, it would be safer for them.

Overtaking is legal and safe if done correctly. As is filtering (overtaking stationary traffic).

Bus Lanes are safer since most vehicles stay out of them.

Regardless though, every driver on the road (bikers included) must be aware of the possibility that another driver will overtake/filter, and that bicyclists may undertake. And they must drive with due care and consideration for this.

And yes, keeping within the speed limit is important...or more accurately, staying within the speed limit that is safe for the current conditions.

• Advertisement

Overtaking is legal and safe if done correctly....Bus Lanes are safer since most vehicles stay out of them.
    Agreed - true: when not in a bus lane, not over the white line, not in excess of the speed limit & not to cut-in in front of other traffic.

Most motorcyclists I see every day, in the city, are in the bus lane and not in their correct traffic lane. Some even use bicycle lanes.

Agreed - true: when not in a bus lane, not over the white line, not in excess of the speed limit & not to cut-in in front of other traffic.

Most motorcyclists I see every day, in the city, are in the bus lane and not in their correct traffic lane. Some even use bicycle lanes.

Overtaking involves crossing the (broken) white line. That's normal, and safe so long as there is no traffic coming from the other direction, or on very wide roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My brothers UK registered K750 is tax classified as a Motor bicycle. :)

That sounds like a fantastic fcuking helmet then. If they are slightly distracted by it they will notice it :) Got a picture of it?

Here she is...

Sadly, as I already commented, the main problem other road users seem to have with bikers filtering is the illusion that it's a competition on the road and bikers are somehow "skipping ahead". It is legal so I don't understand why it is being debate by people who don't ride bikes.

You could replace the word "motorcyclists" with any other category of road user.

When you see a biker filtering, they are doing so legally. When you see a biker "not in their correct traffic lane" and they are filtering between lanes, they are doing so legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

To Gardai...thanks to most of you for turning a blind eye to bikers in bus lanes. They really are the safest place for us to drive and we thank you for recognising this (dear politicians, please make this legal...we don't impede buses/taxi's in any way)

There are a few places signposted as Buses, Taxis and Motorcycles only. Was starting to think that it was official that we could now drive in the bus lanes.

Came across one idiot on Butt Bridge. On their mobile, not going particularly fast and I was actually in a lane. They assumed I had no right to be taking up a lane and tried to physically push me out of it, nudging the car up against my leg at the traffic lights.

Litter throwers are pretty dangerous too, some drivers will throw crap without considering others. I was hit by a bottle thrown after one of the big GAA finals. Cigarette butts are dangerous too.

A close one was when a jeep reversed onto the road without looking for traffic. I lost a mirror to the spare on the back. I don't take that one so badly though as it was more inattention than malice. I got louder pipes after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Sponge25

Two motorcyclists were walking down the road absolutely drunk when me and my gf were waiting for a chinese about a week ago. He stumbled into my gf and said to me "Hey watch her keep her out of my way" and I said "You bumped into her, just go home will ya"

He start getting hard so I told him "Look, I live around here, it'll take me five minutes to get you kicked up and down Bray main street, just f**k off home ya drunk, we have nothing for ya" but when he called my girlfriend a tramp, that was it. Needless to say he must have woke up with a sore cheek the next morning because I gave him the hardest right hook I could muster, suddenly his bravery turned into sobbing and he's friend dragged him on.

I'm a nice guy but I won't take that crap. He's VERY lucky, if any of my old pals had've walked past which they regularly do, he would've took a little trip to Beaumount hospital!

This doesn't reflect all bikers or even a minority. My dad is a biker and he's served 25 years in the army and is a good man.

I know people say they didn't do absolutely nothing to diserve being started on but they give someone a dirty look or something but I HONESTLY didn't do anything. I didn't even see the smelly prick untill he fell into me and my gf and squashed us against the wall! It scared my gf but I was prepared to let it slide untill he tried to blame me and called my girl a tramp!

When you see a biker filtering, they are doing so legally. When you see a biker "not in their correct traffic lane" and they are filtering between lanes, they are doing so legally.
    It is not legal for a motorcyclist to to use a bus lane.

It is not legal for a motorcyclist to to use a bus lane.

Did I mention a bus lane?

Did I mention a bus lane?
    Oddly no, even though it's where I see most motorcyclists in Dublin.

Clearly, legal overtaking by motorcyclists is not wrong. But I believe motorcyclists place themselves at highest risk when they break road traffic laws. This, unfortunately, is very common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Oh dear, this is going to end well.

Less than 1% of motorcycle accidents are caused by vehicle fault Gbear, get your facts straight. You'll also find that the majority of bikers take great pride in their bikes and the maintenance and upkeep of them, more so than other vehicle owners.

A very good point,for Car owners as well !

This statistic,which incidentally was from the Garda Commissioners reports,surfaced when the initial softening-up for the NCT test was underway.

Our leglislators were keen to have us believe Ireland was awash with DANGEROUS vehicles,ready to explode in sheets of all consuming flame without warning.....:rolleyes:

The other statistic from the GC's reports at the time was les well reported.....Road conditions were considered to be a contributory factor in 17% of the reported accidents
    ....yet which area did the Government choose to address first and foremost....yep,of course,the one which would get the most € rolling in.(Until Noel Dempsey's eyes lit up and the Top Secret Road Tolling scheme arrived ).

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A very good point,for Car owners as well !

This statistic,which incidentally was from the Garda Commissioners reports,surfaced when the initial softening-up for the NCT test was underway.

Our leglislators were keen to have us believe Ireland was awash with DANGEROUS vehicles,ready to explode in sheets of all consuming flame without warning.....:rolleyes:

The other statistic from the GC's reports at the time was les well reported.....Road conditions were considered to be a contributory factor in 17% of the reported accidents

I take better care of my bike than anything else, myself included :D
    The state of the roads is disgraceful though. I had to replace both wheels the year before last, both buckled after hitting a nasty pot hole :mad:
    I hate the way most county councils seem to think that putting loose chippings all over the road constitutes resurfacing. It's absolutely lethal, especially when on bends in the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Two motorcyclists were walking down the road absolutely drunk when me and my gf were waiting for a chinese about a week ago. He stumbled into my gf and said to me "Hey watch her keep her out of my way" and I said "You bumped into her, just go home will ya"

He start getting hard so I told him "Look, I live around here, it'll take me five minutes to get you kicked up and down Bray main street, just f**k off home ya drunk, we have nothing for ya" but when he called my girlfriend a tramp, that was it. Needless to say he must have woke up with a sore cheek the next morning because I gave him the hardest right hook I could muster, suddenly his bravery turned into sobbing and he's friend dragged him on.

I'm a nice guy but I won't take that crap. He's VERY lucky, if any of my old pals had've walked past which they regularly do, he would've took a little trip to Beaumount hospital!

This doesn't reflect all bikers or even a minority. My dad is a biker and he's served 25 years in the army and is a good man.

I know people say they didn't do absolutely nothing to diserve being started on but they give someone a dirty look or something but I HONESTLY didn't do anything. I didn't even see the smelly prick untill he fell into me and my gf and squashed us against the wall! It scared my gf but I was prepared to let it slide untill he tried to blame me and called my girl a tramp!

So you had a run in with a couple of people who just happened to be bikers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

So basically your pals are all scumbags.

Motorist wrote: »
    So basically your pals are all scumbags.

Since when have friends who will stick up and fight for their pals scumbags? If all your friends are cowards don't call mine scumbags!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Since when have friends who will stick up and fight for their pals scumbags? If all your friends are cowards don't call mine scumbags!

Scumbags are those who go around needlessly assaulting people including the drunken gobshyte you came across.

I take better care of my bike than anything else, myself included :D
    The state of the roads is disgraceful though. I had to replace both wheels the year before last, both buckled after hitting a nasty pot hole :mad:
    I hate the way most county councils seem to think that putting loose chippings all over the road constitutes resurfacing. It's absolutely lethal, especially when on bends in the road.

There's nothing worse! Just outside Waterford, the council decided to dig 4/5 perfectly square holes a few feet apart in the middle of each side of the road along a twisty stretch of road - no idea why. They then decided to fill in these squares with sand which was topped off a few days later with a small puddle of tarmac. Absolutely lethal to any vehicle but in particular bikes for obvious reasons.

Motorist wrote: »
    Scumbags are those who go around needlessly assaulting people including the drunken gobshyte you came across.

Since when is waiting outside for chinese takeaway "needlessly assaulting people"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Their being motorcyclists had nothing to do with the story. These encounters happen with people from different walks of life, many of them using different modes of transport.

EDIT: I know you weren't trying to smear all bikers, and I'm not having a pop at you. I just don't see the relevance of your story to the discussion at all.

As for the discussion that's going on, I drive a car and ride a bike.

The fact is that the vast majority of accidents involving a bike and a car happen as a result of the car driver failing to observe the motorcyclists right of way. Something like 73%

That is a statistic that can't be ignored, and no amount of trying to tar bikers as dangerous or aggressive on the roads changes that fact.

A lot of Irish drivers don't know where their blind spots are, let alone when to check them.

Pedro K wrote: »
    Their being motorcyclists had nothing to do with the story. These encounters happen with people from different walks of life, many of them using different modes of transport.

EDIT: I know you weren't trying to smear all bikers, and I'm not having a pop at you. I just don't see the relevance of your story to the discussion at all.

As for the discussion that's going on, I drive a car and ride a bike.

The fact is that the vast majority of accidents involving a bike and a car happen as a result of the car driver failing to observe the motorcyclists right of way. Something like 73%

That is a statistic that can't be ignored, and no amount of trying to tar bikers as dangerous or aggressive on the roads changes that fact.

A lot of Irish drivers don't know where their blind spots are, let alone when to check them.

Fatalities for bikers are disproportinately high!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Mostly motorcyclists do use the bus lanes because they are statistically safer. Thankfully the Gardai realise this and leave us alone. I contact Noel Brett of the RSA some time ago to see his opinion about their use by motorbikes. He said he was waiting for the results of a trial use of the bus lanes in the UK. The trial is over and they have opened them to bikes also. Maybe it's time the motorbike representatives made a push to have it legalised again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Fatalities for bikers are disproportinately high!
    Obviously... Possibly due to the lack of protection we have. Cars can have numerous airbags and seatbelts, coupled with crumple zones to absorb the impact. When you come off a bike the only thing that will save you is your gear.

So naturally, where collisions happen, a motorcyclist is more likely to be injured then the guy in the car with all the safety features.

It is still no excuse whatsoever for people in cars failing to observe a motorcyclists right of way.

It happens almost on a daily basis on a bike, that cars just pull out in front of you. Not even lane changes, but out onto a main road into your path of travel.

Pedro K wrote: »
    Obviously... Possibly due to the lack of protection we have. Cars can have numerous airbags and seatbelts, coupled with crumple zones to absorb the impact. When you come off a bike the only thing that will save you is your gear.

So naturally, where collisions happen, a motorcyclist is more likely to be injured then the guy in the car with all the safety features.

It is still no excuse whatsoever for people in cars failing to observe a motorcyclists right of way.

It happens almost on a daily basis on a bike, that cars just pull out in front of you. Not even lane changes, but out onto a main road into your path of travel.

Hit by a van driver who did just this. Wrote off my bike, fractured ankle and nerve damage to my knees and my left leg :mad:

Speaking of filtering... My boyfriend and I headed into town this morning and we filtered through the traffic which was very heavy. As I filtered (very slowly as I'm only back on the bike 3 weeks now and taking my time getting used to everything again) through the traffic behind my boyfriend, a car deliberately moved out in his lane to try to block me. Just as my boyfriend passed him he moved his car over in his lane, he didn't use his indicator nor did he switch lanes after I passed so it was very obvious what his intentions were. If he had hit me, and I know that's a big if as I was filtering carefully and fully aware of my surroundings, he would've hit my bike and knocked me into the car on the other side causing possible injury to me, damage to my bike (bike damage is a lot more costly than people realise, even at low speed) and damage to the other car, all for what? To teach me a lesson that I shouldn't filter legally and "skip the queue". As I passed his car he had his window rolled down and he gave me a filthy look :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Gbear wrote: »

Incidentally, virtually every motorcyclist I've ever seen on a motorway was speeding. I drive the speed limit and there's a conspicuous lack of motorcyclists who drive at the same speed.

That's because the ones driving at or below the limit are most likely behind you and won't catch you up once they stay within that limit.
    BTW, Any cars ever pass you while you're driving at the limit??
    johnr1 wrote: »
    I couldn't give a fcuk what happens any gobshyte stupid enough to get on a bike, - Yes, that's me pulling over to prevent you scraping up between me and the other car, and I'll continue to do it. I'd open my drivers door if I didn't think you'd come in on top of me.

Oh, and don't bother with the abuse, because I really don't care what any biker thinks of me. Ciao.

Keyboard Warrior as well??
    I love the highlighted bit and it emphasizes the way that a lot of ignorant drivers think. I'll bet you keep the doors locked to and feel all safe in your little coccoon. A bit like hiding behind the keyboard.

I presume that you know that driving without consideration for other road users (What you're doing..) is an offence and that the liability could quite easily lie with you should you cause an accident.

• Advertisement

Hit by a van driver who did just this. Wrote off my bike, fractured ankle and nerve damage to my knees and my left leg :mad:

Speaking of filtering... My boyfriend and I headed into town this morning and we filtered through the traffic which was very heavy. As I filtered (very slowly as I'm only back on the bike 3 weeks now and taking my time getting used to everything again) through the traffic behind my boyfriend, a car deliberately moved out in his lane to try to block me. Just as my boyfriend passed him he moved his car over in his lane, he didn't use his indicator nor did he switch lanes after I passed so it was very obvious what his intentions were. If he had hit me, and I know that's a big if as I was filtering carefully and fully aware of my surroundings, he would've hit my bike and knocked me into the car on the other side causing possible injury to me, damage to my bike (bike damage is a lot more costly than people realise, even at low speed) and damage to the other car, all for what? To teach me a lesson that I shouldn't filter legally and "skip the queue". As I passed his car he had his window rolled down and he gave me a filthy look :confused:

You should get a Go Pro Hero camera.
    Suction mount on the front of your bike.
    Very handy in case of someone driving like an AHole.

Advertisement