Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Refusal in today's paper?

Options
  • 12-09-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Any body here see the article on page 10 on the evening echo today where a mans gun licence was not renewed by his super and he then lost his court appeal on the word of a man who was jailed for 3 months previously for chasing the gun owner through fields with an axe.
    I can't find a link to the article on line at the moment but just wondering are we all open to something similar if we fall out with some one or if we come across an anti in a field with gun in one hand rabbit or pheasant in the other or just someone with a grudge makes a complaint to the powers that be.
    Can it happen that easy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Unfortunately I think we are in some parts of the country.

I got reported and stopped by guards one day they said I need written permission for every piece of land I shot on. And he tryed to tell me my licence wasn't matching my rifle.

2 hours before this I was up with the FO collecting a refferance of him as he was on duty. So I told the ( armed guard ) To ring him he was on duty , he didn't and wouldn't , so I rang him immediately myself. Needless to say that problem was solved very quickly.

I then asked him to show we were in my licence application or licence itsself were it said I need writtin permission For every piece of land. Because as far as I was aware I needed 3 writtin permissions to obtain my licence.

All in all i wasn't in trouble but some one heard me or seen me or something and it cost me an hour on the side of the road worrying And also brought very unwanted and unneeded attention which no wants or needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Yeah we are. If someone says you threatened them that's all that's needed to have your licenses revoked. Happened a friends of mine. His ex said he threatened to shoot her and his license was taken away. They didn't care that she lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Heard of that happening before myself,
    Heard another one where an ex went to the guards and said she was threatened, so the guards go to this blokes house to take his guns off him but when he opened the safe all there is is a receipt from an rfd. As soon as they broke up he put all his guns in storage.:D:D:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 magic_tree

Was out lamping with a lad one night. we had permission to be on the land and we were making sure we were doing everything legal and above board. I was doing lamp man and was scanning the field. Saw a flash of eyes and the rifle man confirmed it was a rabbit and took the shot. We were about 100 yards from the road, about 30 seconds we hear a jeep screaming up the road and we knew it was trouble :rolleyes:

2 lads hop out shouting their lungs off for us to "come out yas cnuts" so we ran back to my jeep for fear of them vandalizing it. The two men were in their 60's, brothers that owned a neighboring farm and didnt want us shooting on the land we were on even though we had permission. When we got to the gate one of the men grabbed the lad I was with by the collar and swung him around infront of the headlight to see his face. Basically assaulting him.

Long story short a single guard arrived out, confiscated our guns even though we had the licenses. Had to go to the station while she got someone to "make sure the licenses matched the guns" ....
    We were 100% in the right but were still treated like criminals :mad:

Wouldn mind but when we got the guns back there was a lovely new scrape down the side of my stock :( only had the gun a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

magic_tree wrote: »
    Was out lamping with a lad one night. we had permission to be on the land and we were making sure we were doing everything legal and above board. I was doing lamp man and was scanning the field. Saw a flash of eyes and the rifle man confirmed it was a rabbit and took the shot. We were about 100 yards from the road, about 30 seconds we hear a jeep screaming up the road and we knew it was trouble :rolleyes:

2 lads hop out shouting their lungs off for us to "come out yas cnuts" so we ran back to my jeep for fear of them vandalizing it. The two men were in their 60's, brothers that owned a neighboring farm and didnt want us shooting on the land we were on even though we had permission. When we got to the gate one of the men grabbed the lad I was with by the collar and swung him around infront of the headlight to see his face. Basically assaulting him.

Long story short a single guard arrived out, confiscated our guns even though we had the licenses. Had to go to the station while she got someone to "make sure the licenses matched the guns" ....

Wouldn mind but when we got the guns back there was a lovely new scrape down the side of my stock :( only had the gun a week.

Did you mean to say she was it a female guard sent out to 4 lads arguing in a field presuming it was out in the country on a back road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yeah we are. If someone says you threatened them that's all that's needed to have your licenses revoked. Happened a friends of mine. His ex said he threatened to shoot her and his license was taken away. They didn't care that she lied.

Seen that happen with quite a few matrimonal cases..:rolleyes:
    Best advice,you going thru a serious spot of bother with your significant other,get your guns out and into storage.. There is no telling how low and crazy some biatches will go to literally screw your life over forever.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

That excuse that you got there is total and utter BS!!
    Tell them in future you will accompany them down to the station to verify this information,and you can also ask that they cant radio in your PULSE number there and then as such info can be verified within minutes..

If they insist on taking your guns.Name ,number,direct superior officer and station please and a written recipt for such down at the station!!
    Either way ,better off going down to the station anyway and get it verified.Also,and I'll say this again people use your phonecam to record any evidence of the incident that got the AGS out in the first place..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

juice1304 wrote: »
    Heard another one where an ex went to the guards and said she was threatened, so the guards go to this blokes house to take his guns off him but when he opened the safe all there is is a receipt from an rfd. As soon as they broke up he put all his guns in storage.:D:D:cool:

A little off topic but you don't need to have possession of your guns to threaten somebody.

I don't know the circumstances of this case, nor do I want to, but all I'm saying is that my guns could be in China and I could still commit a crime here by threatening somebody that I'd shoot them.

What would be great though is if she told the Gardai that he pointed the gun at her and threatened her, only for it to be proven that the guns were with the RFD at the time, that would be priceless.

That is what happened she said he threatened her with one of his shotguns, on such and such a day at around this time. That is what made it great, She looked like a right plonker and they won't be taking her seriously again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

That is what happened she said he threatened her with one of his shotguns, on such and such a day at around this time. That is what made it great, She looked like a right plonker and they won't be taking her seriously again.
    I would hope they prosecute her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Great stuff that she got caught out. Just out of curiosity, did the Gardai prosecute her?

And did he take a civil case against her for slander etc etc.?

I would bet....NO!:rolleyes:
    Due to the fact it is a domestic case and that AGS or any police force does not want to get involved in domestic spats or be seen to be biased to either side. Unless an actual crime is/has been comitted or a disturbance of the peace there is little any police officer can do in this case,except maybe issue a verbal warning on wasting police time or possibly a ticket for such if the law allows.Which I dont think it does here.

Slander is a civil crime or Tort and not somthing AGS would be arresting people for.You have to prove some sort of "loss" to your reputation,and standing in the community and a domestic /divorce situation wont cover that or ASFAIK it wont.

Simple fact is as the gunowner you are guilty until proven innocent these days with these ugly situations.:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

Could the guards not have made sure he would never get the guns back? surely if they were serious about seizing the guns then they,d make sure he never got his hands on a firearm again?

TossL1916 wrote: »
    Could the guards not have made sure he would never get the guns back? surely if they were serious about seizing the guns then they,d make sure he never got his hands on a firearm again?

The point is he could'nt of threatened her with the gun like she said he did because he did'nt have them. So why would they take his guns off him when they found out she was lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

The point is he could'nt of threatened her with the gun like she said he did because he did'nt have them. So why would they take his guns off him when they found out she was lying?

Ah i see, i thought he had "threatened" her and then given the guns to the rfd

No the guns were in the rfd's for about a week before hand.:D:D Sorry I should have made it clearer. I'd say her face was priceless white as a ghost.:P

In fairness to AGS they will once the situation has calmed down on the domestic front and the parties have resolved their differences via court or otherwise and there is no bad blood OR it was an honest case of plain evil spite.They will release the guns back in 95% of the time to the liscensee.

Its kind of weird this one,as it is not an outright revocation of the liscense by the local Super which would require written documentation as to why and wherefore under the acts.But rather a " defusion" by the local Gardai acting on a complaint to possibly prevent a shooting...

In that you cant blame them for acting preemtively or within the law,they got a complaint of threat of deadly force being possibly used,they are obliged to investigate and act on it.Same as taking the car keys of somone falling out of the pub and wanting to drive home.

Either way,serious hassle in the castle,move the guns out.No point in giving herself another rod to beat you with.

Advertisement