Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

steam adds choice of install drive

• 12-09-2012 11:16pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Finally!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/12/steam-finally-adds-choice-of-installation-drive/
    As spotted by Rock Paper Shotgun, the new Steam beta adds more than just Big Picture mode. The feature everyone’s not so much been crying out for as screaming “WHY, WHY, WHY IS THIS NOT HERE?!” has finally arrived – the ability to install a game to any drive you like.

Yes, there have been ways around this, but it’s insane that they’ve been required and this has been a constant thorn in many a Steam user’s side. If you buy an SSD especially, space on your main drive is at a premium. Now though, there’s an official way around it… if you do just a little fiddling.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

About ****ing time! I've been setting up junctions on W7 to install to other HDs as the one its currently on is full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Good...was running out of space on my 3TB drive.

Eh, I may have a gaming addiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is it bad that this was one of the key things keeping me from upgrading into an SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Meirleach

Overheal wrote: »
    Is it bad that this was one of the key things keeping me from upgrading into an SSD?

If you don't feel like setting up junction points manually, someone did make an app for this kinda thing, called logically enough Steam Mover. It's free and here - http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Built in steamsupport for installing to different drives will be of course much preferable. Also about bloody time Valve!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Overheal wrote: »
    Step 1) Install Steam on a different drive then the SSD
    Step 2) Profit

Of course that only really works well if you need to do a full reinstall anyway (and redownload games).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Great news!

Now i can install just Arma 2 to my SSD and leave the rest on my mechanical.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Nody wrote: »
    Step 2) Profit

Aye that's what I would have done meself. Good to have this option though! Also, Big Picture looks puuuuuurdy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Nody wrote: »
    Step 2) Profit

Of course that only really works well if you need to do a full reinstall anyway (and redownload games).
    That's pretty pointless though as your games then always load off the slower hard drive. The whole point of junctioning games was so that you can put your most used games on the SSD with the rest on the slower HDD.

Advertisement