Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Democratic Convention - What's Wrong With This Picture?

• 12-09-2012 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

So what's wrong with this picture, taken at the Democratic National Convention?

"THANK YOU" to whom?

Scroll down for the spoiler
    108ce5351face9b87ceb5cf55093c407_w473_h301.gif
    Spoiler - thanks to the Navy, the Russian Navy that is!

Thanks a lot Democrats, that was a real touching tribute to our vets:mad:.

Epic Fail!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Russian ships.

Mountain, meet molehill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FISMA wrote: »
    So what's wrong with this picture, taken at the National Commie Convention?
    Corrected that for ye :P

I'm thinking the shot was taken at a joint exercise, and a civvie picked the photo as it "looked nice".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm not aware of any joint exercises with the Black Sea Fleet. And I'm not sure any F-5s would have been a part of it, as they're not exactly front-line USAF aircraft.

Not the first time people who don't know what they're doing have made that mistake. I saw Challenger 1s used as the background of a US Army online course over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

He didn't build that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Are those Frogfoot ground attack jets?

So they are Russian ships?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I have to say I'm a little concerned by the jingoism in American politics. Why is it even necessary to display images of warships, fighter planes etc. at a political convention? The whole military industrial complex needs to be challenged, clearly though it'll never happen in the present two party system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Denerick wrote: »
    I have to say I'm a little concerned by the jingoism in American politics. Why is it even necessary to display images of warships, fighter planes etc. at a political convention? The whole military industrial complex needs to be challenged, clearly though it'll never happen in the present two party system.

I wouldn't really call it jingoism. More patriotism. It would be jingoism if it said "We're coming for you Iran!" instead of "Thank you (veterans)". These chaps have to appeal to the veterans without a doubt, for a large amount of votes. So I guess they aren't doing it just out of the kindness of their hearts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    I wouldn't really call it jingoism. More patriotism. It would be jingoism if it said "We're coming for you Iran!" instead of "Thank you (veterans)". These chaps have to appeal to the veterans without a doubt, for a large amount of votes. So I guess they aren't doing it just out of the kindness of their hearts!

I see what you mean. But I think its a fine line. There is a strong military tradition in Britain, where local regiments march through rural towns after coming back from a tour of service, that sort of thing. Buts I think America takes it to a whole new level, one that is almost dangerous.

Part of my reservation is in light of a recent Romney speech where he spoke about America's military as if we are still in the middle of the Cold War, it was a bit bizarre for someone relatively unfamiliar with American jingoism/patriotism.

Various polls suggest that Americans are in favour of big military budget cuts, but every year the Goliath grows larger.

Advertisement