Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlanta, Georgia; Hartsfield-Jackson aiport

Options
  • 13-09-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Flying out to Vegas next week. The booking states that I'll be getting off at terminal I and then heading to terminal S for the next flight. I'll be flying with Air France from Dub to Atl. I've looked at the terminal plan here: http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Passenger/terminal/ but there's no sign of I or S terminals? Unless International Terminal = I and Domestic Terminal = S. Could someone clear it up, please. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

you will be arriving most likely in terminal f and departing at another terminal, s just stands for south (all terminals have north and south), once you arrive just find your flight number on the board (terminal, gate etc won't be available till day of flight most likely) if its in another terminal just hop on the train which connects all the terminals, the signs will be clearly posted, its quick and easy to move from terminal to terminal in atlanta

btw you will be flying with delta not air france, they codeshare on that route from dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

rossie1977 wrote: »
    you will be arriving most likely in terminal f and departing at another terminal, s just stands for south (all terminals have north and south), once you arrive just find your flight number on the board (terminal, gate etc won't be available till day of flight most likely) if its in another terminal just hop on the train which connects all the terminals, the signs will be clearly posted, its quick and easy to move from terminal to terminal in atlanta

btw you will be flying with delta not air france, they codeshare on that route from dublin

+1 on what Rosie said. Ignore the 'I' and 'S' advice - it has no basis in reality.

ATL is the busiest airport in the world, but also one of the easiest to navigate.

Since you pre-clear in DUB, your arrival in ATL will be very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Cheers folks, much appreciated.

Will my bags go straight onto the next flight or will I have to re-check them at ATL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Your bags will go straight through as they will already have cleared customs in Dublin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

At the minute your know which terminal you will get your connecting flight, I'd pay no attention to it, been through Atlanta twice and both times the connecting terminal was changed, last time I spend 20 minutes getting to another terminal only to find my flight dissappear off the screen, 5 minutes later it popped up on the same terminal I just left, so the 5 of us had to trek back to where we started.
    But as mentioned, you will be fine, Atlanta is a Delta hub so they have loads of staff there.
    When I flew we arrived as a domestic flight due to pre-clearance in Dublin, loads of grub on the flight too.
    Enjoy!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

Bought tickets for this flight for next July. Great price through the Air France website going on to Orlando. We will have three kids with us and we were just wondering will we all have to go through security again after we disembark from the Dublin flight and change terminals to go onto Orlando.

We went with AA last year through O'Hare and the two flights were only four gates from each other....real handy.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

TingTong wrote: »
    Bought tickets for this flight for next July. Great price through the Air France website going on to Orlando. We will have three kids with us and we were just wondering will we all have to go through security again after we disembark from the Dublin flight and change terminals to go onto Orlando.

We went with AA last year through O'Hare and the two flights were only four gates from each other....real handy.

Thanks

No, all the terminals in Atlanta are connected by a train and they're all behind security so once you're in you can move between all of them. The exception might be the international terminal as passengers access their checked luggage for customs, but since you go through pre clearance you won't have this issue.

Thanks for that.

I know different planes come into different terminals at ATL, but how long does it take to travel between these terminals on the train? Would I have enough time to make it onto the international flight coming home with 90 minutes to spare, or would you leave a bit more time?

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

spideog7 wrote: »

No, all the terminals in Atlanta are connected by a train and they're all behind security so once you're in you can move between all of them. The exception might be the international terminal as passengers access their checked luggage for customs, but since you go through pre clearance you won't have this issue.

Actually, I'm not sure about that. TSA and CBP are different organisations. I get the impression that TSA just doesn't trust foreign security, and anyoneboarding a flight originating in the US will need US security. This happened to me at JFK.

Actually, I'm not sure about that. TSA and CBP are different organisations. I get the impression that TSA just doesn't trust foreign security, and anyoneboarding a flight originating in the US will need US security. This happened to me at JFK.

I wouldn't doubt that is true, I mean there is a secondary security at the preclearance in Shannon.

But when you clear customs you have to pick up your checked baggage which is not secured. You can carry a gun or anything in checked baggage so if you have access to that then you have to go back through security to re-enter the terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not if you're connecting within the same terminal/complex which allows landside transfers from a pre-cleared destinaton. Pre-cleared flights from Dublin/Shannon not only do standard security, but also an enhanced security check before boarding so as TSA standards are met. As everyone has cleared immigration, it becomes a "domestic" flight, and will be treated no different than if I come off a flight from Cleveland in Newark and am able to walk through the terminal to the next gate for a flight to Orlando (for example).

Obviously if you have to leave the secure area to transfer to another terminal when landing in the US you'll end up re-clearing security. Same applies for non-precleared flights as you have to clear immigration/customs etc which in turn means you leave the sterile area.

BuffyBot wrote: »

Obviously if you have to leave the secure area to transfer to another terminal when landing in the US you'll end up re-clearing security. Same applies for non-precleared flights as you have to clear immigration/customs etc which in turn means you leave the sterile area.

So will this apply to me and my family when we arrive in ATL with Delta in one terminal and travel to another on the train to board a flight to Orlando?

TingTong wrote: »

So will this apply to me and my family when we arrive in ATL with Delta in one terminal and travel to another on the train to board a flight to Orlando?

You will preclear in Dublin so you will be fine when you arrive in the US, your flight well be treated like a domestic flight, no need to redo security, just get over to the next gate.

90 minutes is probably fine if your flight arrives on time, the train doesn't take more than 20 minutes between furthest terminals. That being said I recently had the choice of 90 minutes or twice that and went with the longer one, only because it's Winter in the Northeast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

In Oct I went with Delta from DUB to MCO with a stop in ATL. I departed DUB from T2 where I went thru US Preclearance. I arrived in ATL International Terminal then a 5-10min walk to The Plane Train. I was on the train for <5mins when I got off at Domestic S for flight to MCO. You have plenty of time for connecting flight & will find it fine going thru ATL and your bags will be checked all the way thru.

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Airport/APM/

Advertisement